50 amp

carl.swoyer

Hello Heartland owners!

Presently I have a 30 amp outlet wired directly from my panel. Works fine.

I have a pool heater with two 40 amp breakers in the panel. We hardly ever use the pool heater.
My question is can I safely put a Fifty amp outlet adjacent to to pool heat shut off, which is outside next to the pool heater? Always keeping the pool heater shut off in the off position.???
Bang head if this sounds crazy. Lol

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't bang your head too hard, it's a great question.
Most pool heaters are wired like a dryer or range/oven which is not like the wiring we need for our RVs.
You probably have two 120 legs and a ground to your pool heater, you need two 120 legs, one neutral and a ground.
So depending on how many wires and what size you have will determine if you can install a 50 amp receptacle.
You may be able to install a 30 amp receptacle, again keeping in mind the wire size and correct wiring.
It sounds like you might want to consider hiring a professional.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

If there is a full size neutral available at that location you are in business. Run the feeder for the pool heater to the line (input) terminals of a 60 amp, 2-pole double throw, NEMA 3Rsafety switch. You can use NEMA 1 if the location is indoors. One of the load sides will go to the pool heater and the other to the new 50 amp RV receptacle. This is a manual transfer switch set up. Common for manually connected emergency generators. Get a permit and IBEW electrical contractor for the install. If you do not have a neutral present, you will need one.
double-throw-safety-switch.jpg

carl.swoyer

Thanks for your input!
When I return from my Key West trip I'll be talking to an electrician.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk