New offerings - RV Toll Pass

danemayer

Just saw this article about a new offering - an RV Toll Pass that is claimed to work on 97% of toll roads in the U.S., and getting electronic discount toll pricing. This is what they say are the advantages:

[h=2]What are the advantages?[/h]
  • Tolls captured electronically are typically lower than the cash or video toll price, saving money.
  • Many toll roads use this type of technology to charge tolls at highway speeds, saving time and eliminating need to navigate those narrow lanes at toll booths.
  • RV Toll Pass customers no longer need to fish for money to pay toll collectors or throw money into coin counter baskets.
  • Eliminates the need for multiple toll transponders and accounts for use at separate toll authorities and regions.
  • Designed for semi-permanent mounting to vehicle's interior windshield.

Here's the product info, including where to buy. For a 2 axle tow vehicle, the device sells for $94.95. The toll road equipment counts the number of axles while towing or just driving the tow vehicle and charges accordingly.

In months where you incur a toll charge, you get charged a $14.95 service fee. So you pay nothing in months where you're not using toll roads.

carl.swoyer

Just saw this article about a new offering - an RV Toll Pass that is claimed to work on 97% of toll roads in the U.S., and getting electronic discount toll pricing. This is what they say are the advantages:

[h=2]What are the advantages?[/h]
  • Tolls captured electronically are typically lower than the cash or video toll price, saving money.
  • Many toll roads use this type of technology to charge tolls at highway speeds, saving time and eliminating need to navigate those narrow lanes at toll booths.
  • RV Toll Pass customers no longer need to fish for money to pay toll collectors or throw money into coin counter baskets.
  • Eliminates the need for multiple toll transponders and accounts for use at separate toll authorities and regions.
  • Designed for semi-permanent mounting to vehicle's interior windshield.

Here's the product info, including where to buy. For a 2 axle tow vehicle, the device sells for $94.95. The toll road equipment counts the number of axles while towing or just driving the tow vehicle and charges accordingly.

In months where you incur a toll charge, you get charged a $14.95 service fee. So you pay nothing in months where you're not using toll roads.
Dane
I think this would make going thru the toll booth sweet. My FL sun pass is only good in FL. And NH has the E-ZEE Pass which is good on I-95 only into Georgia.
That being said I'm wondering about both of these recording and billing at the same time.
They must have a process that would avoid this . There must be a turn on/off feature. I'll consider this on my next trip.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Another option is the Florida e-pass XTRA. This system covers the the whole EZ-pass system (midwest and eastern states) plus Florida and Georgia.

The e-pass XTRA transponder costs $18.50 one time, with no monthly service fees.

It does not have the western coverage that is included in the RV Toll Pass.

MCTalley

DISCLAIMER: I'm an employee of the company (TransCore) providing the equipment for this venture.

The actual RV Toll Pass implementation is run by an independent company (BestPass). BestPass has been providing a similar solution for the trucking industry for some time now and this pass, more or less, is a consumer version of that product.

I've been using the RV Toll Pass as an early beta tester the last two summers as we've traveled across the US between Florida and Washington state. (Another disclaimer - the company has paid my toll fees in exchange for testing it). It is a pretty straightforward solution.

I have provided feedback on the product over the last couple years regarding the final implementation. Everything except the monthly fee (which I feel is a bit onerous for a single, private user) was positively addressed based on my feedback. They did roll back on charging a monthly fee regardless of usage, though.

I'd be glad to answer any questions that I can on this product or tolling in general. I'll also be glad to pass back any feedback anyone has on this product.

Mods: This post is not an attempt at advertising this product in any way. Feel free to edit or delete this post if warranted.

NYSUPstater

E-Z Pass ha pretty much same benny's as the one Dan mentions. Although not accepted on all toll roads, does cover a large swath.

MCTalley

E-Z Pass ha pretty much same benny's as the one Dan mentions. Although not accepted on all toll roads, does cover a large swath.

In the northeast US, roughly east of the Mississippi and north of Georgia (17 states, I believe). Does not work in GA/FL or west of the Mississippi.