M335 - Installing Winegard satellite dish

Brummie99

We have had our Mallard since June and have a Dish Wally connected to a Playmaker portable dish.
We are full time and also have a Hopper 3 that we can't use with the Playmaker. We would like to install the Winegard Trav'ler dish but not sure how or where to route the cables.
The TV is in the slideout so any installation would need to be routed there.
Has anyone done this and have any tips as to how/where to run the cables?

TIA

Chris

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with your question, we just crank the antenna up and hope for the best. But, there have been several threads on the topic. If you search the site by using the search bar in the top right corner, you should be able to find your answer.

Brummie99

Thanks. I have searched the site and not found anything useful to my situation.

I'm comfortable with mounting the Trav'ler on the roof, just not sure how to route the cables into the slideout.

I think I may run the cables to a point on the ceiling close to the slide and run individual patch cables from there to the Winegard control box and Hopper. Just won't be as neat as if I could actually run them into the slide.

jbeletti

Hey Chris,

I suggest you mount the controller in an area that is not in a slide, then connect the output of the dish/LNB/PSU to the coax that already runs to the slide (then into the receiver in the slide). In that manner, you don't need to run any new cables to the slide. This is how I've done all my RVs (8) with the Winegard roof mounted dish.

In my current travel trailer, my TV isn't in a slide, so it was easier. The coax and control cable were brought down through the same penetration in the roof.

Best of luck.

Brummie99

Thanks Jim.

I've been investigating alternatives and plan something along the lines you describe.

The controller/PSU for the existing OTA antenna is on the wall in the kitchen. On the other side of the wall is the bathroom closet. So, I plan to tap into the cabling there and install the controller in the closet. The cables will run through the roof into the closet and I will add a power outlet in the closet, tapped off the GFCI outlet in the kitchen.

One thing that has stumped me is the existing cable feeding the TV in the slide doesn't trace back to the Winegard panel. There is one output from the panel which runs to a splitter. One outlet feeds to the bedroom TV (verified with a continuity tester). The other runs to the DVD/Radio. I have no idea where the TV one runs to. I will use the one feeding the radio for the Trav'ler.

Chris

Brummie99

I finally got around to this yesterday. The dish arrived on Tuesday.

Took me most of the day in 90+ degrees.

The location in the bathroom closet didn't work as the TV Antenna was mounted where I had planned to enter. I ended up running the cable into the kitchen cabinet and through the wall into the bathroom closet where I have located the controller. There is a closed in space in the kitchen cabinet where the cables came in and an existing hole into the bathroom closet. I ran all 4 cables even though 2 are unused and just coiled up in the closet.

I am using the existing RG6 cable into the slide and that seems to work OK.

I still have the original LNB installed and using my Wally, I now get 2 tuners. I'd had enough by then and couldn't be bothered to swap the LNB for the hybrid so I could use the Hopper. That's a job for next week.

I wasn't able to get a lock on the 129 sat. There's a big tree in the way so rather surprised to get the other 2. Seems to be working OK with just 2.

I used the Winegard base plate and bought 3 tubes of Dicor. However, when I got to the 3rd tube, discovered I had 2 white and 1 black. So, I have 2-colors of Dicor up there. Out of sight, out of mind.

Brummie99

We moved to a new site yesterday. The dish locked on to all 3 satellites this time.

Today I installed the Hybrid LNB and setup the Hopper. All is working great.

Oldelevatorman

We moved to a new site yesterday. The dish locked on to all 3 satellites this time.

Today I installed the Hybrid LNB and setup the Hopper. All is working great.

When you say Hybrid LNB what are you referring to, the Traveler has 3 LNB’s, one for each satellite, 110, 119, 129!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brummie99

When you say Hybrid LNB what are you referring to, the Traveler has 3 LNB’s, one for each satellite, 110, 119, 129!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strictly speaking, you are correct. In general, the entire head containing 3 LNBs is just referred to as the "LNB"

The regular head contains 3 LNBs with an output for each LNB. The hybrid head contains 3 LNBs with a built-in switch with 2 outputs for all LNBs.

The Dish Hopper 3 requires the hybrid LNB.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
What is the advantage of the Hopper 3? Is it something we need to upgrade to or is it just a new model Hopper?

Brummie99

The main advantage to us was the 16 tuners. Although that is way overkill, it was better than the single tuner in the Wally.

We can record everything and never have tuner conflicts. If you have an earlier Hopper and you don't have any problems, stick with it.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member

Brummie99

No, you can also use a standard DISH Pro Plus (DPP) LNB, but you'll need a DPH42 switch (https://dishdepot.com/dish-dph-42-switch-with-power-inserter/) like so:

View attachment 63389

Finally, unless you have a newer Travler (mid-January 2018 and greater), then I suggest using a DPH42 switch with a standard Travler instead of installing a DISH Pro Hybrid (DPH) LNB. Otherwise, you may have issues.

Well, the DPH42 switch effectively turns a DPP standard LNB into a DPH Hybrid LNB. The Hybrid LNB has the switch built-in.

My statement that the Hopper 3 requires a Hybrid LNB still stands.

Techwriter

Well, the DPH42 switch effectively turns a DPP standard LNB into a DPH Hybrid LNB. The Hybrid LNB has the switch built-in.

My statement that the Hopper 3 requires a Hybrid LNB still stands.

So according to your logic, adding snow tires to a Ferrari turns it into a snowmobile?