Is there a limit switch on the water pump ..?

Dmetcalf

I was winterizing my RV when the pump just stopped running. I checked the inline 15A fuse and it was good. I waited for over 30 minutes to see if it would run after that but still nothing. Any ideas ..?

danemayer

There may be a fuse in the main fuse box inside the trailer. Have you checked that? Also, are your other 12V DC devices working? Lights for example?

Dmetcalf

There may be a fuse in the main fuse box inside the trailer. Have you checked that? Also, are your other 12V DC devices working? Lights for example?

I first checked inside the RV at the breakers but none were thrown. They I found an in-line 15A fuse so I checked it and it was good ( I still replaced it). My Ohm meter indicates there is power going to the pump but it will not operate when I initiate the pump. The last antifreeze btl I was pumping from I had the hose end at the very bottom of the container and it might have partially blocked the flow for a short duration that’s when it just turned off. So I thought after I looked for an electronic issue and found nothing that maybe the pump has an automatic cut off if it experiences a blockage..?
I’m open to suggestions...!

danemayer

Assuming that "good and tight" means there's a good electrical path to ground, and that there's 12V DC at the pump, and the pump makes absolutely no noise and doesn't give any indication that the motor is trying to run, I'd say you need a new pump.

But before you spend money on a pump, you might doublecheck everything.

avvidclif

You said you checked the breakers and the inline fuse. In my cyclone beside the breakers is a separate fuse box for the 12v stuff. There is a fuse in there for the pump.

Dmetcalf

You said you checked the breakers and the inline fuse. In my cyclone beside the breakers is a separate fuse box for the 12v stuff. There is a fuse in there for the pump.

I will need to get down there and eyeball that better..! I’ve checked everything else.
thank you ..!!!
ill let you know tomorrow

Dmetcalf

I will need to get down there and eyeball that better..! I’ve checked everything else.
thank you ..!!!
ill let you know tomorrow

I did find the 12v. panel with fuses in it and the fuse to the water pump was good. This is a bit strange because the pump was working just fine then in the middle of pumping antifreeze it just quit ..?! There is power going to the pump confirmed by my ohm meter. I find it hard to believe that the pump just failed. I mean we have never used the pump except to pump antifreeze in the water system last winter and now this winter. We always connect to a city water connection when camping. Although I do understand that they like anything else can be prone to failure at any point..!

danemayer

There is power going to the pump confirmed by my ohm meter.

Could you describe exactly how you're verifying power to the pump on your ohm meter. How is the meter set? What are you connecting each meter lead to? What's the reading?

Dmetcalf

Could you describe exactly how you're verifying power to the pump on your ohm meter. How is the meter set? What are you connecting each meter lead to? What's the reading?

Good morning..!
yeah, I found a hot lead coming off of the switch that is hot when the switch is in the on position and just placed the ground lead to the frame of the RV. It indicated 12.7 v.

danemayer

Good morning..!
yeah, I found a hot lead coming off of the switch that is hot when the switch is in the on position and just placed the ground lead to the frame of the RV. It indicated 12.7 v.

There should be some connections, probably using wire nuts, very close to the pump. You should check the voltage there and make sure the wires are well connected.

Dmetcalf

There should be some connections, probably using wire nuts, very close to the pump. You should check the voltage there and make sure the wires are well connected.
Yeah, that’s a good idea because that pump might have a total of 10 minutes on it so I doubt it’s a mechanical issue. I’ll check that after it warms up a bit.
thanks