Shore power conversion

ralioth

We have a 2018 Heartland Pioneer BH 175 that has a permanently attached 30 amp power cable that is manually fed into an enclosed storage box. Pulling out, it’s gotten stuck enough times, figured I’m ready to convert to a detachable shore cable.

This is the best conversion kit I’ve been able to find so far from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NUYZQ...olid=18IC7S44D3IWK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Wanted to see if anyone has done a conversion like this before. Any tips or tricks you could impart, I’d appreciate. Trying to see if there’s anything that could throw a wrench into the project.

Thanks!

ralioth

I realize it's a difference between my 30 amp and your 50, but that is still pretty beefy looking.

The only concern I would have is not mounting to an electrical box. The manufacturer doesn't call for one on the install drawings, so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Thanks for those pictures. Looks like a solid install!

jbeletti

I realize it's a difference between my 30 amp and your 50, but that is still pretty beefy looking.

The only concern I would have is not mounting to an electrical box. The manufacturer doesn't call for one on the install drawings, so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Thanks for those pictures. Looks like a solid install!

The 30A version looks just as beefy (link).

Super easy to put this inlet in a box "if" you have access to the back side :)

Note that I plan to add a second 50A power inlet on another part of the coach and will wire both inlets to an automatic transfer switch.

esscobra

on previous trailer I changed the main panel box and converted to 50a used marinco cables and outside connector - been used in boats forever- never had issues and was able to add second a/c and run everything at same time- in s texas summers where its still 90 in the am- it sucks to turn off a/c to run microwave and other appliances etc

pulling and pushing that cable in the got real old real fast just make a short jumper from junction box where cable is to your new connector-

ralioth

pulling and pushing that cable in the got real old real fast just make a short jumper from junction box where cable is to your new connector-

I hear ya! That is the plan so far.

Since it's a bunkhouse model, need to lift up the bottom bunk and remove a couple screws to access the main power cable outlet to the side of the camper.

I appreciate everyone's input. It's been a continuous learning experience for sure. :D