Generator Starting Procedures - 2019 Cyclone

MikeNHeidi

I have a new 2019 Cyclone 4005 and would like to start the onan up. I’m on shore power and am wondering what are the step by step procedure. I’m assuming I would need to unplug from shore power first but what is second, third etc...

I don’t trust the 5 second tutorial I got from the dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

You don't need to unplug from shore power. The automatic transfer switch prioritizes generator power over shore power if the generator is running. If you start the generator while you have shore power working, about 25 seconds after the generator starts, the transfer switch will change to generator as the source. To go back to shore power, you must stop the generator.

Our generator is propane based and to start it, I have to hold the start button in the OFF/PRIME position for a few seconds until the light comes on. Then hold the START end of the button down to crank it until it catches.

If the Cyclone procedure with diesel or gas fuel is any different, Im sure another Cyclone owner will jump in.

jmarnell

The automatic transfer switch should handle starting the generator while connected to shore power, but I never do on our 4005. I start by shutting off major power appliances like the air conditioners, then disconnecting shore power. Then you first prime the generator by holding down the toggle switch in the "stop/prime" position for a few seconds. Then hold it down in the start position until the generator fires up. After a couple minutes to stabilize, the power kicks in and you can restart air conditioning. Really easy. I always run our generator at least once a month under load for about 30 minutes to exercise it.

I should explain I shut off the air conditioners before starting the generator because one time I started it with the ac's in the on position. After the generator started and the power kicked in, the breakers on the generator tripped when the ac's tried to start. So now I always wait until the generator stabilizes for a couple minutes and then restart one ac at a time.

avvidclif

To keep from grinding on the starter I usually hold down the prime until it shows OK. Then do it 2 more times. Usually won't go over a rev or two before it kicks off. Then hold down the Start button for a few seconds for the oil pressure to build up. A bit later the transfer will kick in. To be safe I always turn everything off and remove the power cord before doing it so NOTHING is on when the generator kicks in. The contacts in your transfer switch will thank you.

MikeNHeidi

Thank you guys... I appreciate it. It’s my project for this weekend. Fuel stabilizer and run the generator.

MikeNHeidi

Just a quick update... added fuel stabilizer to both fuel tanks on the toy hauler and ran the generator for 2 hours for break in. Glad I did as it stumbled a bit and smoked like crazy for 5 to 10 minutes... then smoothed out and ran great at 1/2 load for an hour and than 3/4 load for the remaining hour.

Not sure why the dealer didn’t break it in as the hour meter shows someone ran it for 30 minutes?!?!

Lynn1130

I am pretty sure the Onan manual has the full starting procedure set out but with gas, it recommends holding the prime down for 30 seconds or longer. Once warmed you don't need to prime if you have shut it down for some reason.

SeaFoam, SeaFoam, SeaFoam, and if you did not get that SeaFoam. Best stuff going. I add it when I fill the tanks on the RV and If I carry fuel in other containers for the SXS I add it to that. I buy it by the gallon.

BLR

Always run your Generator once a month with load wether you need it or not..
1hr under load and it will.make your life easier for when you do need it..
Also as mentioned above Seafoam is your friend

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics