Landing legs

Routemaster

Now I have my landing are creeping up I have put axle stands under the frame to support. The oil level seems to be ok were do I look first? Pictures would be nice.
Thanks.
Den.

GregP

Sometimes there can be some minor leakage of fluid. Check any fittings for signs of fluid staining. I had one hydraulic leg that developed a very minor leak right where the steel leg entered the housing. I suspect that at some time I picked up some sand or grit on the cylinder that got drawn into the seal and caused a minor sweat/leak. It was never enough to require repair, but would result in some oil loss and lack of support in that one leg over time. Taught me to always wipe down the cylinders before retracting them and periodically spray lube the cylinders with silicone spray after cleaning.

Dahillbilly

one of two things leakage either in the lines/fittings or cylinder seal & you will be able to see these; second thing would be an internal leak of the hydraulic valve, letting fluid return back into the system. Good luck.

Routemaster

Where are the hydraulic valves please any pictures? The new cylinder for my curbside slide came today, I think I will call Lippert again. I have started dropping the belly in preparation and I can see the cylinder and neither of unions have leaks that I can see. Would this cylinder not holding the slide in on the road be some of the problem with the legs? The oil level looks ok does the system need bleeding perhaps?
Den.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 56

MTPockets

Everything involving pressurized hydraulics sooner or later will develop leaks. This pressure is held by the seals which over time will wear based on factors that include fluid contamination, heat, cold, initial quality of the seal it’s self and the rod surface that contacts the seals. Every time the rod or leg is retracted, small particles will wear the seal surface. High heat in time will harden the seal rendering it less effective. If a leak is detected at a fitting, you may be able to tighten it, but if leaking at a seal, you live with it until seals can be replaced. Also, if the rod is scored by contamination, that will shorten the life of the new seals. A proper repair involves new seals and professional polishing or replacement of the rod.

Oregon_Camper

Where are the hydraulic valves please any pictures? The new cylinder for my curbside slide came today, I think I will call Lippert again. I have started dropping the belly in preparation and I can see the cylinder and neither of unions have leaks that I can see. Would this cylinder not holding the slide in on the road be some of the problem with the legs? The oil level looks ok does the system need bleeding perhaps?
Den.

What is in that picture? The way I read this, was you were having problems with the landing gear.

danemayer

If you're having unwanted movement of both the slide and the landing gear, you should be looking for a single explanation that accounts for both symptoms. It seems unlikely that you'd have seal failures at the same time on different components; especially given that your rig is not that old.

Normally, once extended or retracted, the hydraulic landing jack or ram for the slideout would maintain that position after its valve closes. When you operate the switches, one side of the switch powers the pump and the other side opens or closes the valve.

But each valve can be manually opened or closed with an allen wrench by turning a setscrew in the valve. The setscrew can be used to override the electrical operation in the event of an electrical or control failure. Someone may have opened the valves for some reason and not closed them properly, allowing fluid to move through the valves when it's not supposed to.

I'd start with the setscrews on the valves. Some may be mounted with the pump and motor assembly. Others in the front compartment. Turning the setscrew clockwise should open the valve. Counter-clockwise should close it.

You might want to take a look at some of the Lippert manuals we've got on the forum. Slideouts. Landing jacks.

Routemaster

I have today checked all the unions nuts and they seen to be tight but in the front hold, manifold one with B marked and next to it on it and road side front leg at the top I did see a smear of red oil, it looks to be seeping slightly out of the crimps this might give me problems yes?
Den.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    602.4 KB · Views: 43

Oregon_Camper

Try this...

Get setup, with all slides out and landing gear down. Then draw a line on the hydraulic fluid reservoir. You can then come back later to see if the fluid is being pushed back into the reservoir.

Routemaster

Re: Landing legs update

Try this...

Get setup, with all slides out and landing gear down. Then draw a line on the hydraulic fluid reservoir. You can then come back later to see if the fluid is being pushed back into the reservoir.

Since this post I see I am loosing oil some where it has gone an down a 1/8" not seeing any drips on any of the six legs outside so it could be leaking somewhere in the belly. The front is now down tight on axle stands behind the front legs.
Also still not installed new cylinder yet waiting for better weather here in NM.
Den.

CDN

B and B
I would look for air in the system. You might need another of gallon of oil bleeding every spot in the system. If no big leaks are showing it has to be in the closed system, air.

After this as Oregon suggested get everything extended, mark the reservoir and see if fluid level goes up as the jacks sink of slide moves.

Brian

ORV1980

Sherman
I also have a 2017 Landmark 365. So far I have had to replace two leveling jacks and one slide out ram. I have one more slide out ram that I still need to replace. I have the ram sitting in the back seat of the truck waiting for warmer weather.
Once I replace the last leakier I will bleed the whole system, hopefully that will stop the front landing gear from creeping up. I have to re-level every two or three weeks.
I am also going to add some the Caterpillar Hydraulic oil additive to try to reduce the popping noises.

Lippert offers a cool app with a lot of great information, including the recommended procedure for bleeding the system. Go to the App Store or Google Play for the free App,
MY LCI.

Take care,
Sherman

Last edited:

Oldelevatorman

I also have a 2017 Landmark 365. So far I have had to replace two leveling jacks and one slide out ram. I have one more slide out ram that I still need to replace. I have the ram sitting in the back seat of the truck waiting for warmer weather.
Once I replace the last leakier I will bleed the whole system, hopefully that will stop the front landing gear from creeping up. I have to re-level every two or three weeks.
I am also going to add some the Caterpillar Hydraulic oil additive to try to reduce the popping noises.

Lippert offers a cool app with a lot of great information, including the recommended procedure for bleeding the system. Go to the App Store or Google Play for the free App.

Take care,
Sherman

Must run in the family. We have replaced one front landing jack and a slide-out cylinder on our LM 365 as well. Knock on wood, all good since then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

On my 3055 I noticed looking at the reservoir that I had a tiny leak. I started with the area around the pump. Wrapped toilet paper, unused, around the fittings. The next day I saw that the paper on one fitting was a little moist . Took a wrench and tightened the fitting. Only took about a 1/8 of a turn. Problem solved.

LBR

On my 3055 I noticed looking at the reservoir that I had a tiny leak. I started with the area around the pump. Wrapped toilet paper, unused, around the fittings. The next day I saw that the paper on one fitting was a little moist . Took a wrench and tightened the fitting. Only took about a 1/8 of a turn. Problem solved.

Congrats on locating the seepage....and thanx also for the bit if Thursday morning unintentional humor... That "...toilet paper, UNUSED" disclaimer cracked.me.up!!