No 12v power disconnected from shoreline power

shawnmuir

I have a Big Country 2014 3070RE. I’m frustrated. When disconnected from the truck and not connected o shore power no 12v in the trailer works. My voltage on the leveling panel reads 12.7v and when plugged into shore power reads 12.7v. When plugged into shore power and I turn the battery cutoff switch off the 12v still works in the trailer so that tells me the converter is working. But I have read that the battery should be 13.2-13.6v. If lower than 13.2v then there is a problem getting the output of the Power Converter to the battery. I have looked for a manual rest mini breaker but can’t find one. Does anyone have an idea why I can’t feed 12v to anything in the trailer? No boon-docking for us. I did buy 2 new batteries as I had a bad one and wanted them to match. Thanks in advance.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Reset the manual button on the 1 circuit breaker.
It is hard to find and there is only 1 like it.
f20b05f8aa4cd60437518b2eba667d31.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

You diagnosed the problem perfectly. Now you just have to locate the row of mini-circuit breakers near the battery, find the breaker with the reset, and press the teeny-tiny button as shown in Jerrod's picture. As soon as you do, if on shore power, the reading on the levelup panel will increase to between 13.2 and 13.6.

I'm attaching a picture of what the row of breakers may look like - appearance and layout varies over time and from model to model. The breakers will have a red rubber boot covering them, and they'll be in the same compartment as the battery.

Look for the thick wires. One of those goes to the manual-reset breaker.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 41

ctuna0203

Check the wiring with 2 batteries positive to positive with one negative needs to go to ground. Could also be the converter is not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordguru

The thermo breakers suck
run a manual one
if you are in a pinch jump the breaker to get by but not the best method

Just a thought on your problem.
On my last coach, a 2011 Big Country I had a similar sounding problem.
What I found was on the grounded bus bar, where all your White wires are attached, they had 1 screw through the bus bar grounding it the the trailer metal.
The screw had broken so there was no longer a ground connection.
I installed 2 screws through the ground buss into the metal side panel, plus ran a grounding wire attached to the trailer frame from the ground bus bar, problem solved.
This may or may not be your problem, but worth checking out.
Good Luck.

Hockster

shawnmuir

Thank You Guys. I finally found the one Breaker. It was buried with others. Cannot believe this is that important and its hidden and not even mentioned in the manual or anywhere unless I couldn't find it. Thanks again

image1.jpeg

LBR

Thank You Guys. I finally found the one Breaker. It was buried with others. Cannot believe this is that important and its hidden and not even mentioned in the manual or anywhere unless I couldn't find it. Thanks again

View attachment 63403

Welcome to the site...

Can't believe this was described as buried...simply inline with other breakers, as most of ours are.

This site has an abundance of info for new members to search out...most every problem has been discussed and answered.

We just bought a 2020 Big Country 3902FL and had the same problem, we even had the converter replaced twice. A friend helped me pull out the breaker panel, he found that the 8-gauge (thick red) cable between the breaker box and the converter was not properly installed. The set screw that is supposed to hold the cable in was installed at an angle and felt tight (we couldn't back it out) but was not in contact with the cable. The cable was floating and making very infrequent electrict contact, wasn't providing any power to the converter and so the battery discharged completely in about 2 days. We will be having the breaker box replaced by next week.

danemayer

We just bought a 2020 Big Country 3902FL and had the same problem, we even had the converter replaced twice. A friend helped me pull out the breaker panel, he found that the 8-gauge (thick red) cable between the breaker box and the converter was not properly installed. The set screw that is supposed to hold the cable in was installed at an angle and felt tight (we couldn't back it out) but was not in contact with the cable. The cable was floating and making very infrequent electrict contact, wasn't providing any power to the converter and so the battery discharged completely in about 2 days. We will be having the breaker box replaced by next week.
I'm having a bit of trouble following your description. The Power Converter gets 120V AC power from a dedicated outlet, and sends 12V DC power to both the fuse box and to the battery by way of the buss bar near the battery. If the bad connection was on the back side of the fuse box (where you have blade type automotive fuses), that might make sense. On some rigs, there would be two thick red wires there. One from the Power Converter and the other going to the battery. If the one to the battery was not making a connection, the battery would run down, but the interior lights would work while plugged into shore power. If the other wire was not making a good connection, the battery would still run down, but you wouldn't have interior lights or thermostat or furnace, or air conditioning.

I think on most (all?) Big Country trailers the circuit breaker panel is spearate from the fuse boxe. There are also combined boxes, but those are usually on smaller trailers. So if you're getting a new fuse box, you'll probably be ok. If you're getting a new breaker panel, you might be getting the wrong part. Or maybe you have a combined unit.

Or maybe you're using the terms interchangeably.