Hanging a Microwave

hut

We’ve recently had a microwave go out, so I went to Best Buy and bought a new one. After I removed the old one, it appears there are no studs in the wall, but a crosspiece running horizontally that the microwave mount screwed into. The new oven is 1.5” taller, so the mount is beneath the crosspiece.... Does anybody have any advice / recommendations?

The new one didn’t have a front handle, so it couldn’t be opened after installation. I’ve already returned it....

The brand Camping World carries gets horrible reviews....

Help!

danemayer

Hi Hut,

I think the usual arrangement is that the microwave "hangs" on the bracket that's mounted to the wall. And there are probably bolts that come down from above and screw into the microwave. You may have to reposition things.

Jesstalkn documented his installation in this thread.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hi Hut,

I think the usual arrangement is that the microwave "hangs" on the bracket that's mounted to the wall. And there are probably bolts that come down from above and screw into the microwave. You may have to reposition things.

Jesstalkn documented his installation in this thread.
And i think there was 1 more after that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hut

Hey, Dan! Thanks for the reply.

My main issue is that the new wall mount was down below the old one and there was nothing substantial in the wall to mount it to. I’m going to try to find one that is the same height as the old one.

Thanks for the pics! It looks like y’all installed a backsplash much like we did also.

DH

Last edited:

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I had the same situation in our rv. I was able to drill new holes higher in the hanging bracket and use the existing backing board and it has worked well.

pegmikef

A lot of the weight is also held by three or four long bolts that run from the top of the cabinet shelf above the microwave and are screwed into pre-threaded holes in the top of the microwave. The bolts and a template for drilling the holes should be included with your microwave. Also, you will probably have to change the porting on the new unit's vent fan so it exhaust to the rear instead of out the top.