Converter issues/replacement

shawnmuir

I’m having issues with my WF-9875 power converter. 3 weeks ago I had to replace the 2 40amp fuses and now had to replace 1 of the 2 fuses today. All grounds are tight and changed the batteries to 2 new 6v deep cycle ones and have not touched them since so no shorts. Something is causing these fuses to blow and it’s not right away. Is this a common problem for this model of WFCO Converters? And if I replace it what is the best converter to replace it with? I have been looking at the PowerMax PM3-75 or the Progressive Dynamics PD9280. My requirements are for 75amps can I get a 80 amp as well? Sorry for all the questions. I’m new to all this. Thanks

danemayer

It's not common at all, unless the battery is momentarily installed in reverse polarity.

The manual says if the RV loads are shorted, the converter is supposed to drop output until the short is fixed, rather than blow the fuses.

If you're on shore power, you might try turning the battery cutoff switch OFF if you have one, or disconnecting the batteries. Then if the fuses blow again, you'll be certain it's not due to the batteries. But if you disconnect the cables, remember the positive cable gets power from the converter, so handle it appropriately.

sengli

The converters on these rigs is behind the wall in the basement. I know from past experience that if there is any slight leak, its usually drips water right on the converter. I always put mine on stand offs now. You shouldn't be blowing fuses, thats not normal. I did do the install the battery backwards thing once, and then it did pop all the output fuses on the converter. I replaced the fuses and all was well after that.