Are Jack stands for temporary use at front end

AnthonyA

Can two 6000 pound jack stands be used to support the front end while the landing gear is temporarily pulled in for a hydraulic fluid swap?
Im sure it would be best to hook up to the truck, but just curious if this alternative would work.
I have a Phoenix. Thanks

mlpeloquin

Yes you can, but with my life I used solid block cribbing made from 6x6's. The jack stands were backup. The truck is the safest. At my age, the safest is the best. I do not trust the small surface area of a jack stand top steal on steal alone. Perhaps I am overly cautious, but I spent a life working in for a company that stressed safety beyond being anal.

rhodies1

Yes you can, but with my life I used solid block cribbing made from 6x6's. The jack stands were backup. The truck is the safest. At my age, the safest is the best. I do not trust the small surface area of a jack stand top steal on steal alone. Perhaps I am overly cautious, but I spent a life working in for a company that stressed safety beyond being anal.

As stated,it will work but definetly not the safest..by the time you rig up proper Temp support it would be just as easy to hook up your tow vehicle....
The last thing you want or need is for your unit to slip and drop on its nose.

rhodies1

If the purpose of this event is to simply change the fluid,then, you should have this purchased in advance.
There s no mention of additional work,question was based on simple fluid change.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having changed my OEM electric front jacks to a Ground Control system a few years ago, cribbing is the way to go. Trying to work in the front compartment requires a lot of movement by you that you don’t want transmitted to a jack stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKDallBH

Can two 6000 pound jack stands be used to support the front end while the landing gear is temporarily pulled in for a hydraulic fluid swap?
Im sure it would be best to hook up to the truck, but just curious if this alternative would work.
I have a Phoenix. Thanks

I would not trust them, when our front Jack's failed, I tried supporting the front end with some 6 and 8 ton Jack's and Jack stands. It was very scary, as any movement swayed everything. My solution (because the landing gear wasn't working) ended up being a couple of 25 ton hydraulic Jack's and 6x6 for cribbing. I still carry the cribbing with me, and if the trailer is going to be in one spot more than a week or two use it. Lot more stable and less sway.

Scott

AnthonyA

After every ones input, I decided it was best to just hook up to the truck. I do however, plan on getting some sort of cribbing system for future work.
You folks are awesome, I appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I made a bunch of these cribbing pads. I use one under each jack pad and stack them when I need height for frame support. Three 12” lengths of 4x4, topped with 5/4 deck plank. When stacking, alternate the direction of the 4x4’s with each pad in the stack. Each pad is 4 1/2” tall.
f15fe73649923be0a93a32d894440826.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk