Electrical issue

Hello we have a 2012 bighorn. A few days ago all the outlets including the microwave stopped working in our kitchen. Also 1 outlet in bedroom, outlet for our washer, ceiling light in livingroom, electric water heater, bathroom gfi outlet, and outside outlets. My husband replaced the gfi but we cannot test or reset it, hubby checked to see if there was any electric in outlet, no electric. What could be our problem? Hubby has checked all breakers and fuses, also our batteries and converter.

jbeletti

Hi there - sorry to hear of your power issue.

Where are you parked with the unit right now and what kind of power are you connected to? Reason I ask is that is sounds like you have lost 1 leg of your 50 amp power.

AC power in your RV comes in on 2 50 amp legs. Generally, every other breaker in your breaker panel is on the same leg. Take a look at the breakers for the circuits that are dead and see if it follows this "every other" breaker pattern.

To track down a missing 50 amp leg, it's best to first start at the power source - the outlet your RV is plugged into. If you don't have a multi-meter or don't know how to do this checking, time to call in a friend that can do it.

Keep us updated on this thread as you troubleshoot as we may be able to provide more guidance once we know more.

Gaffer

A GFCI will not reset if there is 5 or more milliamps of leakage to ground. If the GFCI receptacle you are referring to is servicing your RV through an adapter to a 30 to 50 amp dogbone then on to your trailer, try bypassing the GFCI receptacle and running off a non GFCI receptacle. If everything powers up the problem is either a ground fault, or faulty or mis-wired GFCI receptacle.

n3zmw

Check your input and output connections on the outlet that you replaced. I replaced one recently and learned that the infeed and outfeed connections were not the same positions on the replacement vs the original. The outlet will not reset if these connections are reversed.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

wdk450

You can also wire up the GFCI outlet without connecting the downstream load wires. Test for AC voltage present with a 3 light "Monkey face" outlet tester, or the like. If GFCI is OK now, then reconnect the load wires and see if the GFCI now trips.

If your water heater is on the GFCI loads (it shouldn't be), this heating element immersed in water is a common source of high electrical leakage.