Furrion oven hard to light

I have an Elkridge 38rsrt, 2020. It has the furrion oven stove combo with glass door. The oven pilot light is extremely hard to light. It will ignite however, you have to hold the Pilot Knob in for several minutes before letting it go, otherwise it will shut off. What could be the cause of this? All of my other RV ovens as soon as the pilot light came on all you did was turn the knob to the operating mode and it ignited the burner.

danemayer

If it eventually stays lit, that sounds like a thermocouple that is either defective, or not positioned correctly.

I'm assuming the Furrion, like most gas appliances, uses a thermocouple. As it heats up, electrical current flows to keep the gas valve open. If the thermocouple isn't working well, or isn't in the correct position relative to the pilot flame, the gas valve won't stay open when you release the ignition control.

NYSUPstater

Our '18 BC w/ the same oven can be a PITA to lite as well. Biggest thing, well couple actually is/are: Gas supply--are the tanks full. Can use a gas lighter to ignite things. Once lit, at least on ours, seems to take quite sometime to heat up and temp reading never seems to stay at temp you want (ex: 325/350). Would suggest using a meat thermometer. Once things are lit tho and you watch the temp reading, things turn out pretty good. Wife has made a cake, fries (on a air bake pizza tin w/ holes in it---VERY GOOD !!!! :)) and a couple other items. But back to lighting it, make sure you have a good gas supply and no air pockets. Ours is in storage right now, so going off memory. Let us know how things work out/what you find out/do.

david-steph2018

I have an Elkridge 38rsrt, 2020. It has the furrion oven stove combo with glass door. The oven pilot light is extremely hard to light. It will ignite however, you have to hold the Pilot Knob in for several minutes before letting it go, otherwise it will shut off. What could be the cause of this? All of my other RV ovens as soon as the pilot light came on all you did was turn the knob to the operating mode and it ignited the burner.

From your description, I think we have the same oven combo. The method I use to lite the oven is I open the oven door and use the glass to see the reflection of the igniter in the back of the oven. Once I see a flame I turn the knob to get the burner going. I also leave the door open, slightly, until the temp gets to around 95-100 degrees, then close the door. Since I have started doing this, leaving the door open for the first few minutes, the burner does not go out like before. Try it , it may work for you but don't know for sure.
Do you have a stone in the oven? I leave the stone in the oven when cooking.

From your description, I think we have the same oven combo. The method I use to lite the oven is I open the oven door and use the glass to see the reflection of the igniter in the back of the oven. Once I see a flame I turn the knob to get the burner going. I also leave the door open, slightly, until the temp gets to around 95-100 degrees, then close the door. Since I have started doing this, leaving the door open for the first few minutes, the burner does not go out like before. Try it , it may work for you but don't know for sure.
Do you have a stone in the oven? I leave the stone in the oven when cooking.
My issue is the pilot. Once lit, you have to hold the knob in for at least a minute or two before you turn the knob to operating temperature settings.

Yes I have a stone but it did not come with one. Bought a pizza stone from Target. Works like a champ.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure that the thermocouple is in the pilot flame.
If it is not in the pilot flame that could explain why it takes so long.

Peace
Dave

56elaine

The problem with this oven is in order to make gas flow to the pilot you have to hold the knob in. This starts gas to flow to the pilot, but it also starts the igniter. So you have to hold the knob in until the flame on the pilot lights. and then hold it in for about 30 second or so once it lights. Once it stays on you can let up on the knob and at the same time turn the knob to start the main flame. The problem with this procedure is that it takes forever for the pilot to light if you are lighting it for the first
on your trip. It takes a very long time to purge the air out through that small pilot line. The only option you have is to hold the knob down until it finally lights. Once you have purged the line and get the air out and the gas starts flowing it will light. AND after that initial purge you should't have the problem getting the pilot to light the rest of the trip. In fact in this over you don't leave the pilot lit. You shut it off each time. The next time you light it on your trip. it will light hold for a few seconds and then turn the burner. Again the problem is to get that propane line to the pilot purged, once you have accomplished this you are set to go... Hope this helps... Don