All PEX tubing is not the same

danemayer

I was surprised to learn yesterday that not all PEX tubing is the same. There are several types, each manufactured differently, giving each type different characteristics.

Here's a spec on PEX-b that describes compatibility of various fittings, with PEX-b.

Everhot 1/2" PEX Tubing is PEX-B tubing and can be installed using either Crimp type connection system (Crimp Tool, Crimp-style PEX Fittings and Copper Crimp Rings) or Clamp/Cinch type connection system (Clamp Tool, Crimp-style PEX Fittings and Stainless Steel Clamps). Also compatible with Push-Fit connection system (such as SharkBite), Viega Press type system and Compression type PEX fittings.

Link to Another Article

General Comparison Chart

[h=1]PEX Tubing Comparisons PEX-A PEX-B PEX-C Compared![/h]if Veiwing this page on a phone - it's best to turn the phone to view in Landscape Mode)
PropertyHousePEX (MR PEX)
PEX-A
HousePEX
PEX-C
Other PEX-APEX-BOther PEX -C
FlexibilityMost flexible PEX than any other PEX tubing meeting ASTMMore flexible than PEX-B and traditional PEX-ABetter flexibility than PEX-BStiffer to work and bend than PEX-A or PEX-CVaries
Kinking resistanceExcellentFair
(More vulnerable to be Kinked than PEX-A)
GoodPoor
(Most vulnerable to be kinked than PEX-A or PEX-C)
Fair
(More vulnerable to be Kinked)
Kink ReparabilityExcellentDecreases after heating to transparencyExcellentNot PossibleDecreases after heating to transparency
StrengthMeets ASTM and withstands higher inside pressures than other PEX TubingMeets ASTMMeets ASTMMeets ASTMMeets ASTM
HomogeneityExcellentGoodNot very goodGoodGood
Thermal MemoryExcellentPoorGoodPoorPoor
Barrier propertyMeets DIN 4726 (Measured 25 Times Better)Meets DIN 4726Meets DIN 4726Meets DIN 4726Meets DIN 4726
ThermostabilityBetter than ASTM requirementsBetter than ASTM requirementsBetter than ASTM requirementsBetter than ASTM requirementsBetter than ASTM requirements
Memory effect of being coiledEasy to bend in any directionFair - Better than PEX-BFair - Better than PEX-BPoorFair - Better than PEX-B
Minimum bending radiusExcellent - (Best of any other PEX Tube)Good - Better than PEX-BGood - Better than PEX-BPoor - The worst of all PEX typesVaries
Density0.930 - the lowest0.941 - highest0.938 - higher0.941 - highest0.941 - highest

jbeletti

Great info Dan - thanks.

Of the (too many) YouTube channels I follow, one (Bussy McBusface), Mike used an expansion tool to expand the PEX, then insert the fitting and then the PEX recovers. Looks like he was using Uponor brand. Looks like it's PEX A. Anyway, it was interesting to watch him use them. In a way, a bit easier to install. Unsure of you can remove them though.

Matt750

After we found out we had a slab leak at our house, we re-plumbed using Uponor pex (insulated and ran in the attic). We bought the battery powered Milwaukee expander tool. The Uponor pex (pex A) uses an expansion ring that slips on the end of the pex, then the expansion tool expands the ring and the pex. Once expanded, you quickly put your fitting on. In my unprofessional opinion, this style pex is superior to the metal ring style pex because of the ring that slips over the pex. We have removed a fitting from the pex, but you have to be careful and cut the expansion ring without cutting the pex. I don’t know if you could remove a fitting if it’s been installed for a long time or not though. Probably better just to cut the pex. We have not had any leaks or problems since doing this back in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

OK, the BIG question for this forum is: What type(s) of PEX does Heartland use in its RV's???

danemayer

OK, the BIG question for this forum is: What type(s) of PEX does Heartland use in its RV's???

I'd bet money that only the procurement people at Heartland would know. And there's no way to get ahold of them to ask. But from what I've read, the most common type is PEX-b. It's much lower cost than PEX-a. PEX-c isn't made by many manufacturers.