Grey Tank only Drains 1/2.. Manufacturing Defect

We own a 2017 Heartland North Peak 26TS... Same as Sundance 269TS and it has always seemed to fill the grey tank very quickly. I think I have finally figured out why. When the 3" drain fitting was installed in the tank it was installed upside down so the smaller drain pipe is at the top. The bottom half of the tank will never drain out. The fitting seems to be glued into the tank so I can't rotate it down. Here are a couple of pictures that might help you see the issue.

Any ideas besides paying to have the the entire tank replaced ?
open

Thanks!

(Well I guess i'm either too new and can't post a link to pictures, or not smart enough to figure it out)

view

open

danemayer

Hi DreamBigLiving,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Having seen several of the production lines at Heartland, it's hard for me to imagine that they could install a tank upside down. But maybe you're saying that the 1-1/2" pipe connects to a 3" outlet on the tank and that reducer fitting is upside down. Or perhaps the 3" fitting is located incorrectly on the tank.

The forum software anti-spam features will prevent you from posting pictures directly until you post a few more times. For now, you could post the pictures to google drive or another free service and link to them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can now post your pictures.
Would love to see what's going on.

Peace
Dave

You can now post your pictures.
Would love to see what's going on.

Peace
Dave

Wide shot... you can see the drain going to the top of the drain adapter.

IMG_20191231_154340428.jpg

Here is a close up that shows the fitting detail. Yeah, the big fitting is glued into the tank as are all the other fittings.
IMG_20191231_154428086.jpg

Specs say it's a 40 gallon tank. Not getting anything close to that.

Thanks for any input you might have as to how I might get this fixed. Heading to Baja Mexico soon and we will need all the grey tank we can get. Certainly need more than a couple days worth.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Did you buy that rig new or used? It sure looks sloppy for it to be a factory job. Maybe a DIY repair/replacement of damaged tank and plumbing.

That adapter is clearly on wrong and the gobs of glue are suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you buy that rig new or used? It sure looks sloppy for it to be a factory job. Maybe a DIY repair/replacement of damaged tank and plumbing.

That adapter is clearly on wrong and the gobs of glue are suspicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought used from a dealer in 2019, but the trailer appeared to have never been used.
The brown stuff is expanding foam from tank insulator cover(?), but the fittings are all put together with a ton of ABS glue on both the grey and black tank. I'm pretty sure it's a factory job, but who knows.
North Peak is the Camping World line from Heartland...maybe they cared a bit less?

Don

danemayer

First, your tank is not upside down. The 3" to 1-1/2" reducer is installed wrong. If you were really lucky, it could be that it's a threaded fitting that could be rotated, but unfortunately, it's probably a glued fitting.

You might be able to cut the existing 3" pipe, remove the glued in fitting with a saw, and use a rubber reducer like this to make a new connection. As the 1.5" opening is centered, you still wouldn't get the tank completely empty.

Here's an eccentric fitting (not flexible) that you might be able to use if you could remove the existing fitting.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are tools available to ream and repair PVC or ABS pipe fittings.
This could be an easy DIY project.
Here is a link to a video showing one such tool. LINK

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There are tools available to ream and repair PVC or ABS pipe fittings.
This could be an easy DIY project.
Here is a link to a video showing one such tool. LINK

Peace
Dave

Unfortunately, Dave, the part that needs to be removed is inside the larger pipe. Those tools look like they're for removing a fitting glued over a pipe. Simplest fix might be to disconnect the drain from the adapter and cap off the adapter. Then get a proper drain pipe/adapter installed by a professional. If the adapter that Dan linked to would snugly fit over the large pipe from the tank, it might be possible to cut out most of the upside-down adapter with a hacksaw and glue the fitting over the pipe (after removing the rest of the insulation). Then make connections to get it to the sewer line.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like the offset fitting can be reamed out of the tank fitting by using the correct sized reamer.
I would try it.

Peace
Dave

Unfortunately, Dave, the part that needs to be removed is inside the larger pipe. Those tools look like they're for removing a fitting glued over a pipe. Simplest fix might be to disconnect the drain from the adapter and cap off the adapter. Then get a proper drain pipe/adapter installed by a professional. If the adapter that Dan linked to would snugly fit over the large pipe from the tank, it might be possible to cut out most of the upside-down adapter with a hacksaw and glue the fitting over the pipe (after removing the rest of the insulation). Then make connections to get it to the sewer line.

Based on your input I was able to research and come up with a plan. It has to be fool proof because we are full timers and cant live without a grey tank if something goes awry.

Amazon has the parts I want:
ABS Pipe Socket Boring Bit to drill out the old fitting from the tank socket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE8F0G/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

31OzrphczoL._SS100_.jpg

Replacement Offset reducer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N5T4LG/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

414NIbnhKAL._SS100_.jpg

If boring out the old fitting goes south I can use this as a backup plan and attach to the outside of the tank socket then offset adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQ8E1A/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
519nFFJEPkL._SS100_.jpg

And ABS glue...is this my best option for that?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V4HA4E/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
51aljQ1T3iL._SS100_.jpg

This job is going to suck, the tank will filled with the nasty gook at the bottom from never draining the bottom 1/2, working gravel driveway in Colorado, etc.
Thanks Heartland Grrrrrrr

Maybe I'll get the parts and beg an RV shop to do it.

Thanks for your input... This job has gone from impossible to possible, but going to suck. That's an ok upgrade.
If anyone has any better ideas bring them on please! I have a couple days before parts get here.
Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone has any better ideas bring them on please! I have a couple days before parts get here.
Don
Well, I would jack the trailer on the door side to get as much liquid as possible to flow out the drain, then after draining as much as possible lower the door side and jack up the off door side to get the remaining liquid away from the drain.
The job just got easier. :)

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

This is tricky if the reducer is offset. The normal tool for removing a standard pipe reducer or pipe glued into a fitting is call a "Pipe Hog". Here is a kit on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Rex-16300-3-Inch-Pipe-Schedule/dp/B008R52NQ4

I think you can rent one from a equipment rental. My old neighbor was a master plumber that introduced me to the tool. It does not take long to remove the glued in pipe and you have to be careful just how far you ream out. If you drill a small hole at the bottom of the tank fitting and drain it into a five gallon bucket (use two) and empty it. Carefully cut out the center after lifting the drain side of the trailer up to eliminate any small amount of water left. Then use the pipe hog so you can insert/glue a new offset reducer in the proper orientation. Not hard, but messy. If you put Happy Camper in the gray water tank and let it sit for a day, it will not smell. I had changed a gray water valve once without doing this. You really cannot believe how much more the gray water smell then the black. You might be able to get a plumber to do the reaming for you. A good plumber not the big company Rotor Rooter types.

jbeletti

It may be a long shot due to the length of time out of warranty, but if you haven't already done so, consider calling Heartland Customer Service on Monday (877-262-8032) and tell them of this fast-filling gray tank issue you've always had and what you now found. They may give you some consideration.

Slow to reply lol... I took the parts to an RV shop and had them do it. It was snowing in CO. They were able to ream out the old fitting and install my new one. Charged me $150 so it was worth it to not have to lay in the snow and do it. Didn't bother contacting Heartland. Wasn't worth begging for a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for the assistance. :)