Barstow to Reno in April

Gaffer

Anyone towed this route in late March or early April? We are flexible on travel dates to avoid an unexpected storm, but were wondering about overnight campgrounds along the route and if there are a lot of grades (up or down) over 5%. I am looking to see something different out my window. Have driven the Vegas / Tonopah / Hawthorne route many times (hwy 95). Leaving from Lake Havasu City, Az. Usually go Vegas to Reno in one day but prefer to drive two shorter days than one really long day. No longer want to drive I-5 and the 99 is out of the question.

SNOKING

Not a lot of choices. Whiskey Flats in Hawthorne is a nice clean RV Park, if you take old route.

Years ago we stayed at Mono Vistas RV in Lee Vining on 395.

Highlands RV Park in Bishop is about half way on 395.

Do not know anything about road conditions that time of the year.

From Barstow 395 is shorter route Reno.

Gaffer

From Lake Havasu to Reno is 10 miles shorter in distance
and about 1/2 hour quicker to go the 95 rather than the 395. I could go to Ridgecrest the 1st day and stay at the Elks lodge and go from there to Reno maybe staying in between for a night.

Gaffer

Looking at the map. Havasu to Barstow to Bishop to Reno would be close to thirds. Any decent parks in Barstow or Bishop?

mlpeloquin

Stayed at the Barstow KOA campground. It is just outside of Barstow in Yermo just the other side of I15 from Peggy Sue's Diner. Nothing fancy, but a safe fairly quiet place to stay over night.