Looking for 5th wheels 34-38 feet long

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
When it comes time for us to upgrade our fifth wheel we are looking to get something shorter than 40 feet. Heartland doesn't have a lot of choices in the 34-38 foot (higher end) fifth wheels like some other brands out there. We've been long time Heartland owners and most of our loyalty is due to this forum and the wonderful people we've met over the years at the rallies. We would prefer to purchase our next rig from Heartland but their choices are very limited. It is our hope that in the next few years this current "rage" for rigs over 40 feet long subsides a bit. Another item of concern regarding Heartland and some other brands is all the "bling" they seem to want to incorporate into their rigs. Personally I don't want or need backlit side trim on the slideouts or countertops with inlayed lighting. How about we concentrate on putting that money into quality frame construction. While the PDI facility Heartland has introduced sounds great, most people know that quality is built into a unit, NOT inspected into a unit. I guess this falls inline with all the rest of the "marketing" mumbo-jumbo the RV industry has used for so many years. You have to admit a lot of people fall for the marketing gimmicks. Well this is a bit more than I intended to get into but you get the point.

We love our Landmark but it is 12+ years old and showing a bit of it's age.

Mark

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Agreed. Although we’re not in the market we’ve no desire in anything larger than our 3270. If HL doesn’t have a length and floor plan that’s within our desire we’ll likely look elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcomer

The 3270 Bighorn was something we were interested in but we are a few years from upgrading. Hope you like yours.

CoveredWagon

We have a 3270 as well. I've noticed that they've stretched it now to just over 37 feet, to accommodate the lippert flip up stairs. They couldn't install them with the 3270 floor plan so they did a little stretch. Heartland told me they changed the stairs because everyone else in the industry is going to those type of stairs. Can you say monkey see monkey do ?

kkamshop

Heartland choices are really limited when you are looking for shorter length, bunk room in the "luxury" lines, etc. I am happy to see (FINALLY!!!) some lighter décor in the new Big Country. And I am with you 100% on the useless "bling" lighting - it's everywhere and not attractive.
I hate to see you trade Mark, we'll not be twins anymore, lol! But we are getting to that place as well.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a 3270 as well. I've noticed that they've stretched it now to just over 37 feet, to accommodate the lippert flip up stairs. They couldn't install them with the 3270 floor plan so they did a little stretch. Heartland told me they changed the stairs because everyone else in the industry is going to those type of stairs. Can you say monkey see monkey do ?

Saw that change. We’re not a fan of the flip up with all the dirt steps.
We have a ‘17 built in ‘16 that had the folding steps. Now with a set of glow steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

The last time we took the heartland factory tour, I overheard a conversation between the guide and another couple. They really said what you are about the fact not everyone wants a 40 footer. The guide, who was a newer engineer I think, just said the shorter floor plans just dont sell as well. It comes down to number of units they can sell for them. In the landmark price point, if I was plunking down $80-90K I guess the bigger one would be better sorta.

I totally agree our next unit will be much smaller. Darn those RV shows and their glitz and glamour!

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Mark and Linda, You reach out to Eric & Leona Conklin Eric1234. They had listed their Landmark for sale. It was the only year that Heartland manufactured a rig at I believe was 37'. It is in excellent shape. If they've not sold it yet. If I wasn't retired I'd scoop that rig up in a heartbeat. The DW says if I buy another rig or truck, I've got to go back to work! I do believe I can get along just fine with our current set-up. Good luck in your search.

mrcomer

Heartland choices are really limited when you are looking for shorter length, bunk room in the "luxury" lines, etc. I am happy to see (FINALLY!!!) some lighter décor in the new Big Country. And I am with you 100% on the useless "bling" lighting - it's everywhere and not attractive.
I hate to see you trade Mark, we'll not be twins anymore, lol! But we are getting to that place as well.

Hey Ken,
We are not trading anytime soon, probably 3 or more years unless Publisher's Clearing house shows up at my door before then. LOL
Hope you and Kathy are doing well.
Mark

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I’m hoping for some additional choices in the 38’–40’ range in the next few years also. It seems like they offer 1-2 choices in the 36’-37’ range and then skip right to the 42’-44’ range. It doesn’t matter what model you’re looking at. It’s the same in the Elkridge/Traveler/Gateway.

NYSUPstater

.... we started off w/a 35' BH w/ 2 adults and 2 kids. When we upgraded/bought new coach, pretty much just DW and I, we went (Billy Fucillo H-U-G-E-A) and ended up w/a 41'er. Love the extra room, but also had to get a DRW truck (didn't want to as we just got a 1T SRW couple years beforehand)due to weight. ....DRW sux in snow. Wait and see.

BTW, if you don't know Billy Fucillo, he's a car dealer owner who got his start just south of Watertown NY and now has dealerships all across the country. Think he's into convient stores too.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDN

B and B
I have to agree with Upstate NY. We had a 40 ft Bighorn, manageable for our SRW and now with the 37 Ft 10 inch Landmark Louisville we are still within SRW payload and capability. The 2 feet shorter believe it or not does make a difference. I drive the truck daily and on a lark took out a DRW same year and kilometerage on a run in the snow. It is all over the road, un manageable in winter. I would have to put 1,000 lbs of payload to keep some traction. That reaffirmed a SRW for now. I have 75,000 km and in the market for new tires before next winter looking at 126S load range now.

I did my weights and I am under on all including RAWR, Tires etc. Fully loaded with full water tank.

We camp in the woods and Provincial Parks are our playground. We cook and eat outside, watch the news or follow sports when Olympics, Raptors (True North) or Hockey is on, often a draw for other camper friendships, We were looking at a 43 ft Newport, this would be nice but trying to maneuver it is another thing. Maybe manufacturers might make a few in the mid 30 ft range That will need our needs like many . For now the Louisville is it for us.

Eric1234

Hi George and Laura

thank you you for the kind words, we sold our Syracuse about 2 months ago. We are going the opposite direction of this thread and going bigger. Our last trailer was about 36’ long and we never had a problem getting it around. So we are getting a 44’ toy hauler next month . The toy hauler will give us versatility of an extra bedroom, deck, dog kennel etc.

i enjoy the challenge of driving equipment so we will see how we do this new one.

Have be a good day

Eric

Jim Posz

I agree with the thoughts of this thread. We have a 2014 37' Sundance 5th wheel that we pull with a 2017 F-250 diesel. It's well matched and we've pulled it all over the country, including Alaska.
We looked at the show coaches in Goshen this summer (gotta do that) plus every Heartland brochure I could get my hands on, and was surprised at how few models were less than 40', with proportionate pin weights.
One thing I'm pretty sure about is that when the time comes to get a new 5th wheel we won't have the funds to replace the truck as well. Hope Heartland will have something for us at that point.

I/we are newbies in the RV world. We purchased our first ever 5th wheel trailer in April 2017. It was an 09' Landmark Pinehurst. We fell in love with it the moment we stepped in it. Sadly the front frame broke, and it is now a write off. So, we are actively looking to replace it with another trailer. We would really love the same layout as the 09'. But they're hard to find. Any recommendations or trailers that you know are for sale in the same configuration. We'd be happy to look at them. Although, we do live in Alberta. So, likely a long way away from anything that would be for sale. I'm willing to travel for the right eal though.

Mike-n-Justina

I/we are newbies in the RV world. We purchased our first ever 5th wheel trailer in April 2017. It was an 09' Landmark Pinehurst. We fell in love with it the moment we stepped in it. Sadly the front frame broke, and it is now a write off. So, we are actively looking to replace it with another trailer. We would really love the same layout as the 09'. But they're hard to find. Any recommendations or trailers that you know are for sale in the same configuration. We'd be happy to look at them. Although, we do live in Alberta. So, likely a long way away from anything that would be for sale. I'm willing to travel for the right eal though.

Timber View Rv in Frankfort Indiana has the same year and model you had for $25,000. Just a fyi.😁

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
When it comes time for us to upgrade our fifth wheel we are looking to get something shorter than 40 feet. Heartland doesn't have a lot of choices in the 34-38 foot (higher end) fifth wheels like some other brands out there. We've been long time Heartland owners and most of our loyalty is due to this forum and the wonderful people we've met over the years at the rallies. We would prefer to purchase our next rig from Heartland but their choices are very limited. It is our hope that in the next few years this current "rage" for rigs over 40 feet long subsides a bit. Another item of concern regarding Heartland and some other brands is all the "bling" they seem to want to incorporate into their rigs. Personally I don't want or need backlit side trim on the slideouts or countertops with inlayed lighting. How about we concentrate on putting that money into quality frame construction. While the PDI facility Heartland has introduced sounds great, most people know that quality is built into a unit, NOT inspected into a unit. I guess this falls inline with all the rest of the "marketing" mumbo-jumbo the RV industry has used for so many years. You have to admit a lot of people fall for the marketing gimmicks. Well this is a bit more than I intended to get into but you get the point.

We love our Landmark but it is 12+ years old and showing a bit of it's age.

Mark

Kind of in the same situation as Mark, (which quite frankly scares me) with a couple of caveats. 2-3 years from trading, also, but I'm not seeing a lot in the Heartland portfolio that fits. I full time. The other part is in 2-3 years, I'll want to have some way to accommodate my two under teenage grand kids for 7-14 nights a year. I've thought about going toy hauler, but I don't want to sacrifice my living space for 50 weeks out of the year for 1-2 weeks. I've seen SOB's that have two fold out couches in the living area, and I think that's what I'm wanting, but most are on 38' and up.

I'm hoping the forum will be a help as opposed to going into a dealership and getting bombarded with calls/emails.

Who's got recommendations?

chiefneon

Howdy!

We are fulltiming in a Heartland Cyclone 44’. Like you if I was going to replace it now I would be looking at something under 40’ and closer to 38’. My number one choice would be ArticFox 5er by Northwood Manufacturing.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, I think the era of the mega RV's will be with us for some time. When you have daily driven trucks running over 500hp and 1000ft/tq. People will continue to buy super large trailers. Simply, because they can pull them, one day. Then park their tow vehicle in their garage on Sunday night. At one point in time. I thought a 27' 5th wheel was a monster. Now, it's rarely even a consideration. I love our 40' trailer, and would not want anything smaller, that's just my $0.02

arisce

Hi Mark,
We had a 40 footer and we bought a 35 footer. Like you we wanted shorter. Well we miss that 5 feet. Especially if we are staying for a month or two. Would go back to a 40 footer anyday. But we don't have the money. The only thing is you need a tow vehicle that can stop these trailers. I would definitely get disc brakes. JM2CW.
Your canadian friends,
BILL and KAREN
P.S. Remember us from the first rally. We were the poster boy for Heartland. Keep in touch.