Black tank flush in-tank components

BigHorns

Can someone confirm what exactly the solution is inside the black tank for the flush mechanism? When I connect the hose to my 2019 Bighorn to flush it after dumping, what is going on in the tank? Is it a series of jets of some sort, a single jet, etc?

Also, it's been suggested to me that activating that flush while dumping could be a good thing, thinking it would agitate tank contents and aid the dump process. I'm interested in any thoughts on this.

Regards,

danemayer

Hi Bighorns,

I've never seen the actual flush mechanism, but I think it's just a simple stationary spray head. You'll probably find it helpful to run the black tank flush while dumping the black tank. For some best practices, take a look at our owner-written Water Systems User Guide, starting on page 17.

BigHorns

Hi Bighorns,

I've never seen the actual flush mechanism, but I think it's just a simple stationary spray head. You'll probably find it helpful to run the black tank flush while dumping the black tank. For some best practices, take a look at our owner-written Water Systems User Guide, starting on page 17.

Many thanks, Dan. I'm bettng you're right on the single/simple spray head.

Thanks for the point to that doc. Was a very good read and valuable reference. Should have already read that.

Fox

While I don't know the mechanics I do know that I've flushed mine for as long as an hour - and while I can see that the discharge is eventually clear my tank sensors still indicate a wrong result.

I just live with it.

donr827

I always let the water from the sprayer run to fill the tank with enough water to help move the solids along the piping and clean the black tank as good as possible. Not enough water could leave some solids behind to build up.

Piperflyer

I have the hose connected to the tank flush and running water when I dump my black tank. I might run it for 10 - 15 minutes while dumbing till I see clean water coming out into the sewer. Forget your tank sensors, they won't work after the first week you buy your rig.

NYSUPstater

Pipeflyer is right on about sensors not working right shortly after you buy it new. Our BC was same way. We start off w/ 10 gallons of water in tank (after flushing), add capful of water softener and somethings else (DW's job as I'm outside), but basically the GEO method. So at next outing, we keep all valves closed till we leave. But while parked, it's 1 flush for #1 and 2 full bowlfuls of water for #2. If we cook w/ a lot of water and spending on how long we will be at site, that water goes into black tank.

When dumping, drain black tank with whatever is in it, close valve, turn on sprayer for 5 minutes (maybe longer), dump again. Repeat until 99% of water is clear. Sensors still say the tank is partially full. After all done dumping, we add the 10 gallons then along w/ chems and let that all slosh around on way home.

You could always get one of those adapter fitting things that allows you to run water back up into black tank, but don't hear much about them.

Piperflyer

When dumping, drain black tank with whatever is in it, close valve, turn on sprayer for 5 minutes (maybe longer), dump again. Repeat until 99% of water is clear. Sensors still say the tank is partially full. After all done dumping, we add the 10 gallons then along w/ chems and let that all slosh around on way home.

You could always get one of those adapter fitting things that allows you to run water back up into black tank, but don't hear much about them.

Be very careful when closing the black tank valve and turning the sprayer on. DO NOT get distracted from what you are doing. I have seen a few people do this and forgot they were filling the black tank with the sprayer and overfilled the black tank with water. One guys tank literally fell out of the RV and the other two guys tanks dropped of the tank supports on the frame. What a mess and not an easy fix.
And using chemicals are just another waste of money while Rving. Have never used any in the 8 yrs of full timing yet and with no problems

ORV1980

Sherman
I have a feeling the flush jets are not always installed the same in all the tanks, whatever is easiest at the time. It seems different people have different experiences. We have two toilets, so two black tanks, and they both seem to flush a little differently. If I just turn on the flush water when draining the tank it takes up to 25 minutes to get clear water. Instead, I drain the tank, close dump valve, set an alarm on my phone for 5 to 7 minutes and turn on the water.
When the timer goes off I open the dump valve, leave the water running for another minute then shut it off. The fluid ends up being clear by the time it finishes draining.
I then close the dump valve and add 1 minute of water. I then add a 1/2 cup of Borax down the toilet. The Borax works good for cleaning the toilet also.

We are full timers and sit in one place for an extended period of time, I don't know if that makes a difference. If we don't put something in the tank the smell gets pretty bad between dumps.

Happy Flushing,
Sherman

Lynn1130

Flexible 1/2 or 3/8 inch line with standard garden hose connection and a shut off. It can be sent down the toilet bowl, moved around flushing bottom, top and sides. I had the tank professionally cleaned one time and the tech gave me the idea. All parts are available at Home Depot.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 56

RFOneWatt

Flexible 1/2 or 3/8 inch line with standard garden hose connection and a shut off. It can be sent down the toilet bowl, moved around flushing bottom, top and sides. I had the tank professionally cleaned one time and the tech gave me the idea. All parts are available at Home Depot.

Great idea.

Easy. Thanks.

-T