Tripping breaker

Ldbarchee

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3160el. I bought it brand new about a month ago. When I got it home from the dealer I noticed the breaker was tripped for the bedroom. There are 3 outlets in there as far as I have found. One on the end of the dresser, one above the TV and one in the closet. All three were dead. I reset the breaker and everything started working. It is now tripped again and will not reset. Even with nothing plugged in the breaker immediately trips. I’ve had my wife sit in the bedroom to see if she can hear an arcing noise when I flip the breaker but she could not. Any ideas??:confused::confused::confused:

Flick

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3160el. I bought it brand new about a month ago. When I got it home from the dealer I noticed the breaker was tripped for the bedroom. There are 3 outlets in there as far as I have found. One on the end of the dresser, one above the TV and one in the closet. All three were dead. I reset the breaker and everything started working. It is now tripped again and will not reset. Even with nothing plugged in the breaker immediately trips. I’ve had my wife sit in the bedroom to see if she can hear an arcing noise when I flip the breaker but she could not. Any ideas??:confused::confused::confused:

Since it trips the breaker, you have a wire that has gone to ground. It is likely to be in either of the boxes on either end of the 3 that are out. Leave the breaker off and check to see if the black hot wire is either touching the box (if it’s metal) or touching either the neutral white or bare ground. If you find this wire, fix and the other boxes will work. They are wired in a series.

danemayer

You probably have outlets on the side(s) of the bed, at the base. Hard to see without a flashlight. Check under the bed platform for a loose wire.

SNOKING

If you have a dead short, a really good Ohm meter on a very low scale will help you find it. Ohms(factions there of) will decrease as you get closer to the short. Do not overlook that fact that a screw or staple could have be driven into the circuit's wires somewhere between outlets.

Ldbarchee

Update. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
So we finally found someone locally to do the warranty work on our Bighorn and he found the problem. He started out by separating the romex runs at the first intersecting point and started testing. By doing this he was able to determine the problem was under the bed slide. After taking it apart, he found that the flexible wire that moves with the slide had been stripped back but never was tied in with the romex that goes to the bed plugs. It was laying on top of the metal box cover and shorted to it. The romex was wire nutted together and taped up with no damage so you can tell it was just plain forgotten about. I’ll chalk it up as being the last unit worked on at 5:00 on a Friday and someone was in a hurry to get to that first weekend beer. Just glad their carelessness didn’t burn down my brand new 5th wheel while we were laying on top of where the fire would have started. Time to start making good memories in it now!!

SNOKING

Update. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
So we finally found someone locally to do the warranty work on our Bighorn and he found the problem. He started out by separating the romex runs at the first intersecting point and started testing. By doing this he was able to determine the problem was under the bed slide. After taking it apart, he found that the flexible wire that moves with the slide had been stripped back but never was tied in with the romex that goes to the bed plugs. It was laying on top of the metal box cover and shorted to it. The romex was wire nutted together and taped up with no damage so you can tell it was just plain forgotten about. I’ll chalk it up as being the last unit worked on at 5:00 on a Friday and someone was in a hurry to get to that first weekend beer. Just glad their carelessness didn’t burn down my brand new 5th wheel while we were laying on top of where the fire would have started. Time to start making good memories in it now!!

Thanks for the follow up. Chris