Hydraulic oil loss

Dennyha

After having our Cyclone for 5 years, I realized that my hydraulic oil level was almost a quart low. I added a quart of stiction fluid to get the level back to full.
Yesterday, I took the camper to our local dealer for some service items. I questioned if it was normal to be a quart low after 5 years. The service advisor said “absolutely normal”. I asked them to check the system for leaks anyway.
Is it normal to have lost a quart of hydraulic oil over the course of 5 years of use?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't know if a loss is normal or not, but we've had our Bighorn for about nine years and haven't lost a drop.
I'm thinking not normal.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I question the dealer remark. It’s a closed system. Evaporative qualities of hydraulic fluid is nil.
Why do you think you’ve lost a quart? The fluid reservoir doesn’t (and likely wasn’t ever) have to be “full” to the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

Its a sealed system, in my mind you shouldnt have lost any unless you have a leak. We almost bought a used big horn one time. Everything looked normal till we went to run the slides out. Then I could see hydraulic fluid leaking from the coroplast under neath the belly. There was a small hole in the area that sagged, just over the axles. So the rear slide cylinders obviously were leaking. Could easily be just a loose connection.

You might want to poke a small hole in the coroplast in the back half somewhere where it sags, and see if there is some fluid there.

Flick

It’s likely the system was never topped off properly at the factory and you just never paid attention to it. I would just keep an eye on it going forward and not lose any sleep. Worry about it later when you get a leak. And you will eventually get a leak.

NYSUPstater

IMO, not normal. Had a Chevy dealer (Service writer or Mgr) tell me that the ticking noise coming from my '97 350 cu in w/ just a few hundred or thousand miles was "Normal Piston Slap".