Tire pressure

i4110peter

My tires and the decal on the trailer state the pressure should be 110 psi. Heartland service tech said because I have aluminum rims, pressure should be no more than 80 psi. Does this sound accurate. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Crawl underneath and look at the stamp on the inside of the rim. If it says 110 psi or 3750 lbs. you'll good to go.

jnbhobe

Look at the back of the wheel it should be stamped on the back of the wheel. I bet it says 110 psi

Aandaar

Your tire pressure depends on two things. The Rims/tires on the trailer and the trailer weight.

Just because you have aluminum rims does not dictate your tire pressure

Aluminum Rims can be two types. Max pressure 80psi, or max pressure 110 psi

You can confirm your rims by looking on the backside. They should be stamped 110 or 80 psi

You should also check the sidewall of the tire and see what the max inflation pressure is.

If the tire is labeled 110 psi then your rim should be 110.

Our Bighorn 3970rd came from the factory with 110 psi aluminum rims and Goodyear’s with max inflation of 110.

I run at max tire pressure because I don’t want to keep weighing the trailer every time I make changes to it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
I followed some bad (but well intentioned) advice several years ago; was told 80# for all six of the Sailun tires on my Cyclone. I thought that was too low, so ran them at 90# for a trip of about 3,000 miles. All six tires showed wear on the shoulders. After a lot of research and talking to more folks, I've been running them at the recommended 110# ever since and the shoulder wear has stopped.

Along with shoulder wear, too low a pressure can also overheat tires and increase towing resistance.

Do check your tires and rims, then recommend you fill 'em up and keep checking. If they start to wear in the middle, you can back off. Also recommend a digital infrared thermometer ($20), and use it regularly while traveling. That and a quality tire gauge are the cheapest tire insurance you can buy.

Hope this helps.

i4110peter

So, looked at the rims, inside and out, and found no indication of suggested tires pressure. I would like to assume that being a Bighorn 3160EL, Heartland would put the 110 psi rims on since it came with 110 psi rated tires. I will reinflate to 110 psi and monitor tire wear.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Check the plaque on the off-door-side near the pinbox. It'll show your GVWR of 15,500 and also the tire spec. If it says 3750 lbs at 110 psi, that's what the factory was supposed to install. One caveat: you never know what happens at the dealership prior to sale.

mlpeloquin

If rubber valves with 110psi rated tires and 110 psi rims, change the valve stems yesterday. Do not use TPMS with rubber valve stems. They will fail.

ILH

I've had a 2013 Road Warrior since it was new. Originally, it came with China bombs (80 psi) - but after I had a blowout, I changed over to Goodyear G614's which ran at 110 psi (the rims were rated for 110 psi). BTW, I loved the Goodyear tires.

I just purchased a 2020 Newport Landmark. I was very surprised to see the tag on the side of the rig showing tire pressures of 125 psi. That's significantly higher than I've seen before. It also came from the factory with nitrogen fill.... bonus!

Landmark Specs R1.jpg

TXgearhead

Some assumptions...2018 Bighorn...you bought it new, you haven't changed wheels or tires.
Then run the tire pressure that is on the trailer placard.
Never listen to that "tech" again and have a discussion with his boss.

NYSUPstater

125 psi? Holy smackaroonies!!! Even our semi tires don't have that high of psi. If I recall right, psi on semi tires are 95-110. 125 seems like the coach would ride rougher than sin. Other's opinions.

TXgearhead

125 psi? Holy smackaroonies!!! Even our semi tires don't have that high of psi. If I recall right, psi on semi tires are 95-110. 125 seems like the coach would ride rougher than sin. Other's opinions.
If the coach weighs 18,000 pounds it rides pretty good. With 2 axles rated for 8,000 pounds each and only 2 tires per axle you need a high load rated tire. So 17.5" H rated tires it is. I had to buy a new air compressor.

- - - Updated - - -

Best place to get a infared therm?
Harbor Freight, Sears, etc.
May look for a good digital tire pressure gauge too. I'm using a Joe's Racing.