Cargo carrier for the rear exterior

shawnmuir

I have a Big Country 3070RE 2014 and I donor have a bumper. Has anyone bolted a carrier on to the rear of their unit on the underside of the frame? I want to add xtra storage back there and not sure how to tackle this. Any pics and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Yes...I have mine bolted and welded to the frame. I carry my WR450 dirtbike on the back and have ~10k miles on this setup and it is rock solid. I use a rear camera (video link) to keep an eye on the bike during travels.

I built this with 2 inserts on the outside of the standard middle insert. This removes any "side to side" rocking motion with single hitch insert systems.

Capture.JPG

shawnmuir

Yes...I have mine bolted and welded to the frame. I carry my WR450 dirtbike on the back and have ~10k miles on this setup and it is rock solid. I use a rear camera (video link) to keep an eye on the bike during travels.

I built this with 2 inserts on the outside of the standard middle insert. This removes any "side to side" rocking motion with single hitch insert systems.

View attachment 63701

Thanks I’ll take a look at that.

Fox

Both my former Jayco - and my current Bighorn - had rear mounted bumper carriers, and both occasionally dragged - dependent upon the terrain.
I eventually donated this Jayco rack to a friend and I eventually removed the Bighorns rack. Too much worry about approach/ departure into facilities.

sengli

Another thing to consider, is some, not all towed trailers can have a certain amount of bounce as they go down the road. On our last big horn, the length and axles position must have been just right to have a lot of bouncing as it went down the road. It snapped off three bike racks and dumped our bikes every time. Had it welded and reinforced and it again failed. Had my wife run the rig down the road as I followed and I couldnt believe how badly it shook the bike rack. So I added the curt receiver to the front of the truck, and now thats where the bike rack goes. No more issues.

I have followed other fivers going down the road, and noticed that others dont have any bounce to them at all?

shawnmuir

Another thing to consider, is some, not all towed trailers can have a certain amount of bounce as they go down the road. On our last big horn, the length and axles position must have been just right to have a lot of bouncing as it went down the road. It snapped off three bike racks and dumped our bikes every time. Had it welded and reinforced and it again failed. Had my wife run the rig down the road as I followed and I couldnt believe how badly it shook the bike rack. So I added the curt receiver to the front of the truck, and now thats where the bike rack goes. No more issues.

I have followed other fivers going down the road, and noticed that others dont have any bounce to them at all?

Good to know. I will check that out for sure. Thanks

TXgearhead

Our Oshkosh doesn't have a receiver or a bumper. My local RV repair shop said there wasn't room for a welded rear receiver. T&S RV said they have added receivers, but wouldn't ever call back with a quote. I believe other Landmark owners on here have had receivers added. I do have a Curt front receiver on my truck. Guess I will use that and put the bike handle bars on the passenger side.

farside291

Something to consider when picking a bicycle rack for the rear of your fifth wheel. I spoke to a Swagman representative and he informed me that not all bike racks they sell are approved for use on the rear of an RV. I purchased one of there $150.00 racks and almost dumped both of my bikes on the road, fortunately a trucker pulled along side and flagged me down before catastrophe happened. I purchased this one and have had no problems since. I still worry though and will install a front receiver on the truck eventually. I carry two electric bikes and they are rather heavy, about 75 pounds each.
https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-6468...49Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

SNOKING

For a 5th wheel this is the best place to carry bikes.

And with a bumper pull now for traveling we carry them on the bed cover.

Attachments

• dscn0850a.jpg
    dscn0850a.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1149.JPG
    DSCF1149.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20191003_142122.jpg
    IMG_20191003_142122.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40

sengli

Fairside...is correct about the bike racks, and RV use. Everyone of them we found had a dis-claimer in fine print that if used on the back of an RV, the warranty was void. With ours failing every time we attempted to use the rack on the rear of our big horn. We found out why there isnt any warranty. Our bounced apparently , so badly it snapped them off like a twig.

Kbvols

Agree on Swagman Escapee bike rack. Well built rated for RV. Holds our bikes solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Micky-D

I purchased the Lippert 1.25 inch receiver hitch for my 2016 Bighorn 3685 and had it welded onto my frame (see pics). Locking to replace it with a beefier or more stout 2 inch receiver that will not have as much vertical movement. I will use it to carry two bikes that each weigh 55 pounds. Can anyone recommend a good 2 inch receiver hitch? I checked with etrailer and they recommend the Curt 13703 trailer hitch and the Ultra-Fab 946403, both 2 inch adjustable hitches for trailer frames. I will have this one professionally welded as well. Lastly, what 2 inch bike rack for two bikes have people been happy with? My bikes have fenders in the front and rear. Also, I'll probably need a receiver tube extension to clear the ladder mounted on the rear cap of my fifth wheel.

Attachments

• tempImageNzMTB1.png
    tempImageNzMTB1.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImageJj3Q3Y.png
    tempImageJj3Q3Y.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9