Shower Seal - Peeling off

GregD904

Hello,

I have a Prowler Lynx 25LX. I noticed that in the shower the seal or caulk is peeling off. Currently my camper is winterized and not being used but in spring time coming I would like to get this rectified.

I have done a lot of research online and there are several dozen products that you can use to seal your camper bathroom. I would like to see here what everybody’s recommendations are.

Also, is it common that the seal will just pull off like this as well? I have included some pictures.

Thank you,
Greg

0e40459537cd95dcd4ecc0d46540878f.jpg
9a928005086b2ea11fee2a4525150560.jpg
0fab51838c1978365c5ba692edcc27f3.jpg
b921a9a8674487c2f689761c227ff176.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A silicone caulk would work (looks like that is what it is). Clean the old caulk out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pull out the rest of the existing caulk, clean the surface well and apply new caulk.
You can use ordinary clear or white bathtub caulk from Home Depot or any hardware store.
If, as John suggested, the existing caulk is silicon be sure to clean with ammonia or your new caulk will not stick.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

GregD904

Pull out the rest of the existing caulk, clean the surface well and apply new caulk.
You can use ordinary clear or white bathtub caulk from Home Depot or any hardware store.
If, as John suggested, the existing caulk is silicon be sure to clean with ammonia or your new caulk will not stick.

Peace
Dave

Thank you thank you very much for this information. I will clean it out and then also clean it with ammonia. Do you recommend I go around with Q-tips or maybe a paper towel to clean everything out or is that overdoing it?

I plan to go to Home Depot and buy some bathtub caulk I just wasn’t sure iif there’s specially made for an RV

Thank you,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone

JohnDar

Thank you thank you very much for this information. I will clean it out and then also clean it with ammonia. Do you recommend I go around with Q-tips or maybe a paper towel to clean everything out or is that overdoing it?

I plan to go to Home Depot and buy some bathtub caulk I just wasn’t sure iif there’s specially made for an RV

Thank you,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone

Microfiber towels might work better since the paper toweling will shred easily. Wet an edge with the ammonia and force it into the space and use a small plastic scraper to drag it along. The plastic scraper will help dislodge any reluctant chunks.

Some of us learned long ago that our Neo-Angle showers leaked water under the glass framing due to incorrect installation (and lack of any caulking). I used clear silicone all around the inside of my shower and it hasn't leaked in many years.

GregD904

Microfiber towels might work better since the paper toweling will shred easily. Wet an edge with the ammonia and force it into the space and use a small plastic scraper to drag it along. The plastic scraper will help dislodge any reluctant chunks.

Some of us learned long ago that our Neo-Angle showers leaked water under the glass framing due to incorrect installation (and lack of any caulking). I used clear silicone all around the inside of my shower and it hasn't leaked in many years.

Good to know. Any size scraper matter? Also, would the Ammonia deteriorate the material of the tub?

Sent from my iPhone

JohnDar

Good to know. Any size scraper matter? Also, would the Ammonia deteriorate the material of the tub?

Sent from my iPhone

A thin blade scraper should do. If you wrap the towel around the blade, even a thin metal one would work. You just want to get inside the joint cleaned as much as possible to get a good bead of new caulk in. If you do use a metal one, file the sharp corners of it round to prevent accidentally digging into the tub.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John gave you some good ideas. Which ever method you choose just be sure to do a good job.
After the ammonia wipe clean with a damp cloth.

Peace
Dave

GregD904

A thin blade scraper should do. If you wrap the towel around the blade, even a thin metal one would work. You just want to get inside the joint cleaned as much as possible to get a good bead of new caulk in. If you do use a metal one, file the sharp corners of it round to prevent accidentally digging into the tub.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone