Death of Direct TV

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
[FONT=&quot]This is from a USA Today article dated yesterday, 3/7/2020. I have no stake in ths, as I am a DISH Network cutomer. See the article HERE

Start saying goodbye to DirecTV.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It may not be today or tomorrow, but it could be soon. DirecTV-owner AT&T this week admitted that it is no longer actively marketing the service, which has seen subscribers fall to 16 million from 20 million when the company purchased it for $49 billion in 2015.[/FONT]

Flick

This is from a USA Today article dated yesterday, 3/7/2020. I have no stake in ths, as I am a DISH Network cutomer. See the article HERE

It may not be today or tomorrow, but it could be soon. DirecTV-owner AT&T this week admitted that it is no longer actively marketing the service, which has seen subscribers fall to 16 million from 20 million when the company purchased it for $49 billion in 2015.

That business appears to be very competitive. It’s hard to even imagine companies that deal in those kind of dollars. We have Dish and I always thought Direct had the upper hand, but you never know. If this comes to pass, hopefully someone will dive in and give Dish a run for their money.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I'm not sure I agree with the statement "no longer actively seeking customers" or what ever he said. I am still getting phone calls and e-mails asking me to return to Direct. I currently have DISH but was a Direct customer for over 5 years. I switched because of poor customer service and very poor reception during inclement weather. I find DISH to be much better in TV reception and because I can turn it off when not traveling, much cheaper.

VMooreSR

Just converted our Winegard Travler from Direct tv (customer for 12 years) to Dish because of the poor customer service and reception issues like Keith said.

Gary521

It appears that the current "future" of TV is in streaming. Both Direct TV and Dish have streaming services. Maybe we should hold off and see what the "future" is next week.

travlingman

Dropped Direct and went to Dish last year. Was a Direct customer for 5 years. They quit offering discounts and the customer service was horrible. Like Dish much better. Going to order one for the camper since it is $7.00 a month for receiver and I can turn off when not in use.

avvidclif

It appears that the current "future" of TV is in streaming. Both Direct TV and Dish have streaming services. Maybe we should hold off and see what the "future" is next week.

Streaming requires a fast and unlimited internet connection. Good luck while traveling or living out in the boonies.

carl.swoyer

Dropped Direct and went to Dish last year. Was a Direct customer for 5 years. They quit offering discounts and the customer service was horrible. Like Dish much better. Going to order one for the camper since it is $7.00 a month for receiver and I can turn off when not in use.
When I had DirecTV I simply grabbed a box from the house and used it while
RV ing. Came home put the box back in the house

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PWUssery

This is from a USA Today article dated yesterday, 3/7/2020. I have no stake in ths, as I am a DISH Network cutomer. See the article HERE

It may not be today or tomorrow, but it could be soon. DirecTV-owner AT&T this week admitted that it is no longer actively marketing the service, which has seen subscribers fall to 16 million from 20 million when the company purchased it for $49 billion in 2015.

Saw the same while researching services; I left DirecTV after my two year contract was up. I've bounced back and forth between Dish and DirecTV for the discounts over the last decade or so. Only real preference for DirecTV is the NFL Sunday Ticket. It's my understanding the contract expires between NFL/DirecTV in two years. I'm currently with Xfinity for TV and Internet, so I'm debating the need for sat in my new toy hauler. New Mexico has a lot of wide open spaces in the mountains that I frequent, and cell coverage is spotty. No Pro teams in New Mexico, so local channels carry most Cowboys' games..but being a Jaguars fan I go with the NFL app and try to avoid hearing the score until the delayed game broadcast is available. I have Google Fi for phone service and am known to experience data charges protection due to max data charge limit on a regular basis. (Family plan so it's not always my fault..) Decision, decisions.

-paul, Retired
New 2020 Torque T26
2013 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab

danemayer

Streaming video has been projected to overtake satellite and cable for a number of years. The pace has been picking up for at least 3 years. Directv has been building up their streaming service for several years as have others. The battle has been won by streaming services and now it's just a matter of time for the transition to play out. Part 2 of this battle will be between content providers and 3rd party aggregators over how the profit is shared. Eventually there'll be no need for aggregators like Netflix, except to the extent that they provide original content.

The other battle is between the various internet service providers and cell phone data plans. It may still take a few years, but I expect cell phone carriers will win that one.

mlpeloquin

You do know that this was the complaint about Dish fifteen years ago until about five or so years ago. A Bell company in Texas, with a very bad reputation, purchased AT&T for the name. Since they purchased Direct TV things have slowly changed in the complaint department. I so far have not had one yet. Nice to know that a conversion is possible for the Traveler, around $230.00, since I now have one on my SOB. On another note. Elon Musk new Starlink Satellite system is scheduled to start testing. Apparently with the active military, not military communications, but personal. Once the bugs, if any, are worked out and enough of them are in orbit, his streaming service will fallow. Phone and internet, streaming without any blackout areas world wide. Projected cost, which I don't believe, $80/month. We will see. This could put phone and other satellite, Direct TV and Dish, out of business or force them to readjust their prices.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Hey Jay - your link to the article no longer works. Bummer since we have had DirectTv for over 15 years with no problems. Would like to see what it says.

Fordguru

I don’t feel sorry one bit
the customer service is the worse

instant anxiety as soon as I hear them pick up the phone bye feelicia

brianlajoie

I think there will be more change once SpaceX brings all those low earth orbiting satelites on line. I think both 5G and internet service providers will have a new competitor.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Hey Nabo, sorry about the link. Apparently it has been taken down, sorry.

porthole

Retired
Just converted our Winegard Travler from Direct tv (customer for 12 years) to Dish because of the poor customer service and reception issues like Keith said.

Which satellites are you using - LNB?

I recently switch from DTV at the house to Dish and now have to swap the Trav'ler parts.

But I am still waiting for a answer to see if I will be able to use the hybrid LNB (two horns versus 3) for the eastern arc satellites.
In that sense DTV was easier, 3 satellites 2 degrees apart in the arc = single LNB.

I don't care for the way dish records versus DTV. We lose the end of shows sometimes.

And there are times we will start watching something 20 minutes in to skip the commercials, but when the recorded program ends it just stops, manually requiring you to use the remote to quit and go back to live TV.

We have the hopper 3 and I'm hoping to be able to continue like we have in the past.

When we leave I take the house receiver, put it in the trailer and then use either the Trav'ler or portable antenna, fairly simple.

VMooreSR

Which satellites are you using - LNB?

I recently switch from DTV at the house to Dish and now have to swap the Trav'ler parts.

But I am still waiting for a answer to see if I will be able to use the hybrid LNB (two horns versus 3) for the eastern arc satellites.
In that sense DTV was easier, 3 satellites 2 degrees apart in the arc = single LNB.

I don't care for the way dish records versus DTV. We lose the end of shows sometimes.

And there are times we will start watching something 20 minutes in to skip the commercials, but when the recorded program ends it just stops, manually requiring you to use the remote to quit and go back to live TV.

We have the hopper 3 and I'm hoping to be able to continue like we have in the past.

When we leave I take the house receiver, put it in the trailer and then use either the Trav'ler or portable antenna, fairly simple.

Hey Duane,
I used the stock LNB (Triple Horns) that came with the Winegard kit, my understanding is if your Trav'ler was made before 2018 the hybrid LNB won't work, so i went the DPH42 switch route and my Hopper 3 now works in my trailer which makes DW happy, she has a ton of shows recorded.
You can edit the timer on your recorded shows to add a minute or two to the end so it doesn't cut off early.
Hope this helps,
Vince