AWG WireSize on Batttery to Inverter

Thunderbolt

I have a 2018 Cyclone 4005. I have been having problems with the small 50 amps auto reset breakers on the slide out and landing gear motor wearing out from constant resetting. Slides will move out a bit, stop, then restart. I looked at the main cable from the battery to the 50 circuit breaker and measured the OD with is .348 inches. The cable from the batteries to the inverter measures .431 inches. Does anyone know what size (AWG) the cable from the batteries to the inverter is? I plan to remove the small gauge wire on the main circuit and replace it with the same size as the inverter cable. Also, I will install a 100 amp non-resetting break and an 80 amp breaker to the slideout/landing gear motor. I will use the same size cable as the inverter cable to run from the 100 amp breaker to the 80 amp breaker and to the main buss bar. I read somewhere but can not find it now the Lippert had sent an email to all manufacturers stating they need an 83 amp circuit to power the slideout/landing gear motor.

danemayer

Some years ago, Lippert had a LIP Sheet recommending upgrade to 80 amp if lower value breakers were tripping. They removed it without explanation (but copies are still floating around). My guess is that they didn't want the liability if someone upgraded their breaker but left the original wire in place, and something bad happened.

Thunderbolt

Some years ago, Lippert had a LIP Sheet recommending upgrade to 80 amp if lower value breakers were tripping. They removed it without explanation (but copies are still floating around). My guess is that they didn't want the liability if someone upgraded their breaker but left the original wire in place, and something bad happened.

I had read that sheet but time has passed and I don't remember. I was hoping someone would know the size of the wire from the battery to the inverter as I would like to use that size of wire. I really don't want to remove the insulation to find out the size. The measurements I gave were with the insulation on. I never understand why one battery cutoff switch is near the inverter while the main battery cutoff switch is in the front compartment. I have a 11 ton crimping tool to put ends on the wire. I am sure I am having the lower value breaker tripping all of the time. Slide out goes out, stops, starts, and then does the full movement. Thanks for the help.

danemayer

As shown in the attached drawing, current builds from Heartland use #6 awg wire from battery to the 50 amp breaker and buss bar and on to the Converter. Where there's an 80 amp breaker to the hydraulics, they're using #2 awg from the battery to the 80 amp breaker and on to the hydraulic pump dual polarity solenoid.

Attachments

• Battery Disconnect FEL-5359 notated.pdf
    289.3 KB · Views: 62

Thunderbolt

As shown in the attached drawing, current builds from Heartland use #6 awg wire from battery to the 50 amp breaker and buss bar and on to the Converter. Where there's an 80 amp breaker to the hydraulics, they're using #2 awg from the battery to the 80 amp breaker and on to the hydraulic pump dual polarity solenoid.

Thank you! This answers the question. I will run 2 AWG wire from the battery to the hydraulic motor. And a 2 AWG white wire as the ground to keep everything even.

sengli

I had a similar issue on my big horn several years ago. Found out it was the battery. The voltage on the battery looked, and checked fine. The converter was charging it as it should. Just when you dropped a huge load on it, like retracting or extending slides...it would just trip out often. This was a new issue as the system had been idiot proof for years. Put a new battery in it, and poof my issue went away w/o replacing wires or circuit breakers.

LBR

Our 2017 CY had constantly kicked the pump breaker out from day one when using the landing gear. It never did it with the slide tho.

I bought a "quality" 50 amp breaker to replace the one to the pump from factory. When I went to replace it, upon taking it out, i seen it was only a 30 amp. Put the new 50 amp in and it has worked flawless for 3 years now, so I never needed to go the 80 amp breaker route.

jbeletti

2 AWG is going to work out great. On my last Landmark, I upgraded all those heavier wires in the battery, breaker and hydraulic area and used 2 and 4 AWG depending on what it was replacing.

For those readers that don't have the tools to crimp the heavy gauge terminals, you can buy pre-terminated battery / starter cables at most auto parts stores. Also, you can buy nearly any gauge wire, pre-terminated in many lengths on Amazon.com. I've went both routes in the past. Now I have a hydraulic crimper and crimp my own.

Thunderbolt

*** Solved ***

I made two cables and installed one circuit breaker. I made one cable to go from the battery to the 80 amp manual circuit breaker. I crimped the 5/16 inch lugs onto both end of the cable and used the supplied heat shrink tubing to seal them up. I mounted the 80 amp breaker and then made a cable to run from it to the directional control unit I removed the factory wire and installed the # 2 AWG cable. Tried the system out and the slides move smoothly with no starting and stopping. I think the Level-Up system will work a lot smoother but I did not have time to back the truck under the trailer to try it out. Here are the materials and sources I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4XLD47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PYL1VM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJXG3KM/ref=psdc_553392_t2_B00GXQ2E5E
https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-718...nlee+wire+cutters&qid=1585512165&s=hi&sr=1-11

Thank you to all who responded.