Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to buy another RV

1. Print this Post   #1
    Full-time WANNABE

Preparing to buy another RV

I have been out of the RV market for approximately four years now, owning a North Trail then. Before that I owned a Trailmanor. With both these units I was very pleased with the original quality control and the eventual quality of the products upon usage, sometimes HEAVY USAGE of the RV's.

The minor things that popped-up on either unit were handled expeditiously by the Dealer and sometimes with the input/assistance of the manufacturer much to my continued happiness over the course of my entire ownership period. Hence my writing on this forum.

I have yet to purchase an RV but am very much in the hunt for the proper fit for my wife and I and our new requirements as "Most of the timers" or "A lot of Timers!" Not Full-timers but retired, so some heavy usage here & there as we get our feet wet.

MY QUESTION AND CONCERN TO ALL HEARTLAND OWNERS REGARDING NEW PRODUCTS:
    I have been hearing a lot of chatter amongst "most RV brands" (Definitely ALL bad news regarding Dealers) that RV quality is in a very bad state of condition currently. This has me very concerned as a potential buyer knowing what can and will go wrong.

I also was a partner in a Biotech firm and I stayed in an RV for a year and a half while beginning my time with them. (It was a start-up company and the lead Scientist was also the Campground Host) The CG owners made me a deal to work-off my debt: they asked me to do little odd jobs that would come up and they gave me the site and everything i could ever need for free in exchange! The point I am getting to is that I spent a lot of time with RV owners and every type and size of RV you could think of as this was a huge and popular N. Ga. campground. QUALITY OF PRODUCT was the number one gripe or cause of happiness for the RV owners. (I had my Northtrail during this period!)

So....Lets chat! I would rather go in and know what to look for rather than crying because i had my heart set on something i really don't want to mess with. Like getting your heart set on a specific vehicle at a specific dealers inventory. TAKE YOUR EMOTIONS OUT OF IT OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!
    Ron "Rockerga" and Debbie Smith
    2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Crew Cab - Duramax 6.6l
    Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
    Proud USMC Combat Veteran

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Preparing to buy another RV

Hi Rockerga,

I moved your post out of the PDI thread since you want to chat and not just about PDI.

Do you have any thoughts on which trailer models you're considering? For example, if Bighorn, you'll get a lot of feedback from Bighorn owners. If if's left unstated, you'll get a lot of general feedback, much of which might not apply.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3
    Full-time WANNABE

Thank you Dan, currently we have NO IDEA other than 80% sure it will be a Travel Trailer. I am getting on the "boards" early and starting my adventure on the forums and on the web looking at floor plans, brands and everything else. It seems as though a lot has changed since my 2008 North Trails 28RLS!!!
    I already own a VERY low mileage Diesel and a 4 point Equalizer hitch so there are not really any size or weight restrictions. We are wide open right now, then next phase will be to look at the brands and floor plans we have "liked" on the web and go see them in person.
    Ron "Rockerga" and Debbie Smith
    2016 GMC Denali 2500HD Crew Cab - Duramax 6.6l
    Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
    Proud USMC Combat Veteran

4. Print this Post   #4

I have puled travel trailers for many years up until I purchased this fifth wheel and I can say without any doubt that the fifth wheel is mush easier to hook up and pull down the road ... hands down...!
    Just saying that because if you have never experienced that and no one has informed you of this then you really wouldn't know. I believe others would agree with me on this as well.

Also ... THANK YOU for your service Sir ..!

Duane
    Duane & Maureen Metcalf
    Princeton, Texas
    H.O.C. # 5883
    2019 Silverado 3500 DRW
    Firestone 5000 airbags
    MORryde upgraded wet bolt kit with heavier shackles
    MORryde pin box
    2019 Cyclone 4007
    2016 Can Am Spyder RTL

5. Print this Post   #5

we are on our 2nd heartland have looked at every brand made in the 6-7 years before buying our 1st a bighorn 4 years ago. by for better quality for the money and support. have a 2019 landmark now and love it. 5th wheel by far pulls a lot nicer than a tag.
    Ron and Kathi Ludwig

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi-27 View Post
    we are on our 2nd heartland have looked at every brand made in the 6-7 years before buying our 1st a bighorn 4 years ago. by for better quality for the money and support. have a 2019 landmark now and love it. 5th wheel by far pulls a lot nicer than a tag.
    By your pic in your signature it looks like you got the full paint option ..? Nice looking rig for sure ..!
    Duane & Maureen Metcalf
    Princeton, Texas
    H.O.C. # 5883
    2019 Silverado 3500 DRW
    Firestone 5000 airbags
    MORryde upgraded wet bolt kit with heavier shackles
    MORryde pin box
    2019 Cyclone 4007
    2016 Can Am Spyder RTL

7. Print this Post   #7

What youre hearing is people who sometimes create a lot of their own problems and are quick to blame someone else. Complaints are usually always shared with others before any compliments, generally speaking. Therefore, when I read a bad review given to a company, I sometimes wonder perhaps whether they complain about other things as much or are their complaints legitimate. Just a thought.
    What size trailer do you have in mind?
    Eddie and Jomaye
    HOC #7088

2015 Heartland Cyclone 4100 HD
    -4 U Cam observation camera
    -Winegard Pathway X2
    -On The Go Double Standard softener
    -Splendide washer/dryer combo
    -TireMinder bluetooth TPMS
    -RV Smart 50 amp surge protector

2019 Ford F-350 DRW FX4 Lariat
    -Ultimate Lariat package
    -4:10 LS gears
    -2 front lift/Bilstein shocks
    -Air Lift 5000 Ultimate air bags
    -Air Lift Gen 2 Bluetooth wireless compressor
    -20k Reese fifth wheel and rail adapter
    -35 TOYO Open Country M/T tires on stock 17 rims
    -RDS 60 gal tool box combo w/gauge
    -RV Toll Pass

8. Print this Post   #8

Good luck with finding a new RV. I would second what others said about 5th wheel over TT, so much difference towing. As far as finding a quality product I would be very careful. It's really a crapshoot if you get one built well. The product is usually of good quality but the craftsmanship etc... Is lacking. Slapped together is the best way to say it. I bought a brand new 2018 Cyclone, 2.5 years later and at least 5 trips to a service place and still fixing stuff. Most was not defective components just done incorrectly. Fast in a hurry, get it out the door type of construction. I hear that is most companies though. Heartland was decent about fixing the poorly constructed product. Just being honest. I have fixed so many things the list would go on and on, TVs falling off the walls, plumbing leaking, windows installed incorrectly and leaking, slideouts installed incorrectly and leaking, doors mounted backwards, screws left out. The worst part is wondering what you haven't found or can't see when you realize how bad of a job they have done. Some will say, well your dealer should catch all that, BS, nothing like that should ever go out the door of a factory. My advice, buy local because your RV will most likely make many trips to the dealer.Buy lightly used, someone else has probably dealt with having all the factory defects fixed.

9. Print this Post   #9

I think North Trails continue to enjoy a very good reputation for being put together well and having minimal problems.

It's very important to evaluate the dealer as well. Good dealers will inspect the trailer when it gets to their lot, as they're supposed to, and make any necessary adjustments before you ever see the trailer. You should also plan on doing a pre-delivery inspection prior to signing the paperwork, as that's when you'll get the most attentive service you'll ever experience.

If you buy a trailer off the lot, check for a label on the frame showing the date of manufacture. If it's been sitting for a while, caulking and sealants will need to be inspected and corrective action taken if necessary.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    By your pic in your signature it looks like you got the full paint option ..? Nice looking rig for sure ..!
    FYI, full body paint is standard on a Landmark Im pretty sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jim & Linda Kelly, full-timers
    Jade the Chinese Crested & Clark the #cat
    2015 F-350 DRW 2WD, Longbed
    B&W, underbed & companion hitch
    Airlift air bags

2017 LM 365 Newport, HOC#3604
    Titan Disc Brakes
    MorRyde Step-Above steps
    Kitchen RO system

Rallies attended;
    2018 Mountain Region Rally, Pueblo, CO