Ok!! I Give Up!!!

boatdoc

Brought the new Dodge 3500 home this past weekend and being the Ford guy that I am, was, I thought I'd put the old hitch in, WRONG this thing has got a boxed frame. CRAP.
Going to the rv dealers did nothing but confuse me as not one of them said the same thing except "good luck". Come to find out you need about a zillion dollars worth of brackets and a bunch of don't drill heres or theres. The heck with it, I'm going down to my trusty certified welder freind, again, maybe not to freinds anymore and weld the simple "L" brackets on. Dodge says it's aok as long as one stays away from the rolled top and bottom.
How's that sound:D
boatdoc

davebennington

Boatdoc,

I had the same feelings when I looked at my new Dodge. Don't weld go, and find a Reese hitch and other brands I sure have the same instructions. Mounting a Reese is not bad. You do have to drill a few holes, the only part that is kind of worrisome is pulling the bolts to the hole that you drilled with the supplied wire. The Dodge boxed frame is really strong. After the install I have been happy with the results so far, I do pull heavy (24650 lbs the last visit to the CAT scales).

Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Gary, what hitch do you have? I've got a set of Dodge brackets for a PullRite.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Dodge fifth wheel install is easy, was easier than putting a Putnam fifth wheel in my 06 Ford was...... That lesson in humility was a Royal PITA.

Here's the $54.95 bracket you need for the back rail http://www.etrailer.com/p-58186.htm The front brackets used are the standard ones in the universal rail mounting kits.

You also need this $7.95 tube spacer as one set of holes you drill go through a bed crossmember. http://www.etrailer.com/p-58166.htm

Seeing how I just saved you almost a gazzillion $$$$$ now you can afford to get this shiney new $99.95 universal rail kit and all the correct bolts and spring wire to pull the bolts through the frame too.... http://www.etrailer.com/p-6005.htm

This is what I used to install my hitch, same parts you need for an '08 3500, only took me a few hrs.

Last edited:

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Boatdoc, I just installed my husky 16K hitch in my new 3500 4X4 using the clamp on install kit. Yes it is a littly pricey (169.95) from etrailer http://www.etrailer.com/p-v55340.htm It was easy to install. The kit says it will not fit a 3500HD 4X4, but it will. It fit just like the instructions said. I hooked up and tried it out with my 3670 and it did great. Good luck on your decision.

Bill

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Dodge fifth wheel install is easy, was easier than putting a Putnam fifth wheel in my 06 Ford was...... That lesson in humility was a Royal PITA.

Humility? Man, I've eatten $100 in humility so many times...I remember this auxillary gas tank....$50 for them to install....probably close to $200 for me...it was my religious experience in do-it yourself.

Now, my first question is always..."Can we work out something for the install?":eek:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Humility? Man, I've eatten $100 in humility so many times...I remember this auxillary gas tank....$50 for them to install....probably close to $200 for me...it was my religious experience in do-it yourself.

Now, my first question is always..."Can we work out something for the install?":eek:

boatdoc

Update On Hitch

I decided to get one of the u-Bolt clamp on type kits from e-trailer. I took a chance on my rails fitting and somehow by the grace of God it all worked out. The bracets worked fine with the rails for my RBW hitch.
Only holes drilled were thru the bed and those crazy "fish the wire bolts thru the frame" bolts weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. I just visioned some hokey wrap some wire around a bolt routine but they were quite nice and NO problem at all.
Now on torqueing the bolts, YA RIGHT, no friggen way to get a torque wrench on some of them so it was the "pull the box end till your hemmoids pop or you slip off the nut and tear some bark off the top of your hand" routine, that's when I called it good.
Anyway it's in and didn't drill or weld on that Dodge box frame.
Thanks for the tips and thanks Ray for the offer on the brackets.
Gary

Delaine and Lindy

When we had to get another Hitch because I let my Trailer Saver go with the Truck (Mistake). I did a lot of research and ask many questions to other owners. The answer was the B&W turnover ball with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. No drilling in the frame rails, only a 4" hole in the bed. Install was about 1.5 hours and everything fit like a glove. However the install was on a Chevy 1 ton. I highly recomend the B&W system, you have two systems, the ability to tow a Gooseneck and a 5th wheel. GBY.....