inverter/charger questions

ronbro

Have an 2011 Bighorn 3610RE.
It has a Cummins Onan model 5.5 GJAB Generator (runs off propane) which I rarely use. I run it usually once each summer for an hr but not the 1hr per month as stated in the manual.
it has a Magnum Model ME2012 inverter charger c/w ME_RC remote control
it also has an Intelli Power 9260C power charger
Also a Carmanah Solar Power Regulator GPR 25
I only have 1 12v Canada Proof G27 ca 840, cca 675, ah 100, rc 180 (sept 2017) battery.
I am constantly connected to 30 amp shore power although we have power outages during storms in the summer.

1) I assume the Solar system is connected. The regulator displays 12.5 charging at times but it seems to constantly blink on and off. I also assume solar panels to be connected to the regulator and then directly to the battery. I have not traced the wiring yet. Will try this summer.
note: I get very little sunlight for most of the day at the campground I am at.
2) the Magnum is inside of the external storage compartment directly behind wall to generator and battery storage compartment. It seems to be working.
3) the Intelli Power is mounted behind a wall in the external storage compartment near the hot water tank and furnace.

I am not sure what this Intelli Power is for? redundant? I also need to trace the wiring for this i guess. it can't also be feeding the battery could it?

thinking of upgrading the battery to two 12v or 4 6v deep cells which kicked off this whole investigation.

What i really need is someone from the Camrose,AB area to come and help me sort this electrical system out but not sure if just find an electrician or RV repair service.
recommendations and comments very welcome.

Ronald

danemayer

Hi Ronbro,

The Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power 9260 is probably the original Power Converter that came with the trailer. The Magnum MS2012 is something added by a prior owner.

It's possible the MS2012 is being used in place of the Intelli-Power, but without examining how things are wired, there's no way of knowing what was done.

Electricians may not have any experience with RV power systems or solar, or the equipment you have - bit of a crap shoot.

RV Techs may or may not have the experience you need.

In either case, you'd need to interview them before spending money, and hope to get someone who doesn't go through a learning experience on your dime.

jbeletti

Hi Ronald.

Dan has responded to most of this. Let me elaborate as well.

On your 2011 coach, a prior owner added:
- Solar panel
- Solar charge controller
- Magnum inverter

The Progressive Dynamics 9260 is your 12 volt DC power converter that provides DC power for lighting etc and is also the charger for your coach batteries.

The Magnum ME2012 Inverter is a nice unit. It creates AC power from battery power and it has a built-in battery charger (for when on shore power). As Dan mentions, the inverter's charging circuit may be providing your battery charging. If it is, you do NOT still need the 9260. It can be unplugged. The AC output of the inverter might be connected to some outlets and/or your refrigerator if a previous owner changed it out to a residential style.

ronbro

I am still having problems with this Magnum Controller. Looking for a reference to anybody n the Camrose, Alberta area who can assist with rectifying this problem on site. ie: Silver Creek Golf Course and Campground as I can no longer move the RV. No access until mid April so no rush. Just trying to get organized before I open up for the summer. Had problems with the controller at close up in fall and pulled battery out for the winter. Ant advice would be appreciated. Thanks Ron