Residential Fridge when traveling

bigdob24

When on the road traveling to the next stop and the factory installed fridge is running off the inverter by 2 group 24 batteries , does the trucks charging system put any power into the RV batteries? Will they run it for 4-6-8 hours? Don’t know what to expect.
Looking at an RV with a residential fridge and don’t know anything about them . I have gone thru the online manual on operation but did not find an answer to my question.
BD

rdufek

The short answer to your question is yes. Your truck will charge the RV batteries while traveling down the road. The batteries by themselves in the RV can run the inverter to keep your refrigerator for 24 hours provided other things are not drawing down your batteries, I know from direct experience. The other factor that plays into the equation is how strong your batteries are. As they get older they will not keep powering things for as long. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are parking overnight the RV will also draw on your tow vehicle's batteries which could potentially leave you dead in the water if there is an exceptional draw on the system. One other thing to consider is if you do a lot of boon docking you probably should not be looking at the residential refrigerator option. I am sure others will chime in with more technical explanations but again I have given you the short answer. Happy Trails and good luck on your potential purchase.

bigdob24

Thanks Bob
We don’t do boon docking anymore and I still have my 2 Honda Gens and one would be enough to run fridge and charge batteries.
Just didn’t know for sure and glad to hear they will get a charge on the road.
‘I’m big into preventative maintenance and keeping batteries in top shape and when they show any sign of trouble they are replaced in pairs.

Kathi-27

agree with rdufek. we have had no problem with going 7 hr drive and sleeping 7-8 hrs still had power. was getting low but had power.

zolman

The truck charges the batteries. I put in 3 size 27 Interstate batteries. Since I don't have a generator I have room to put in a third size 27 battery.

I have boondocked for a over 24 hours with no problems without having to recharge the batteries. The small Heartland solar panel probably helps a bit. I also run the frig on vacation mode when I'm not on shore power. I'd like to think I'd get 3 days of refrigerator use with total power conservation, not using heat with the water heater on propane.