My warranty experience

Before I discuss my warranty experience I need to vent about the build quality of Heartland products. My first Heartland product was a 2009 Sundance 2900MK. I had so many issues that I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I traded it for a 2008 Cameo which was a great unit and in 2018 I was ready for something newer. Traded the Cameo in for a Bighorn Traveler 32RS hoping Heartland had upped its game in terms of build quality. That was not the case given all of the problems I have had with this unit. I also have to say that the dealer I bought from was a joke in terms of checking the unit out before purchase and service after.
That being said, I want to share my experience with a warranty issue I now have. One and a half years into ownership I noticed the floor of my dinette slide was beginning to delaminate on the leading edge. Thinking this was a structural issue that would be covered under the three year structural warranty I contacted Heartland to see what could be done. The person with whom I spoke said to send pictures and they would make a determination. Not more than ten minutes after I sent the pictures in I received an email stating that my claim was denied because I did not maintain the seals. I emailed back that I always check the seals and that the slide was always kept in unless I was in the unit which was not very often. I never heard back from them because of the shutdown due to Covid-19. I then contacted customer service and a new person contacted me back. Same story. Denied. I told this person that I wanted to appeal his decision because I felt this was a structural issue that should be covered. I was given the name of another person to send an appeal. Long story short, I had to send in more pictures and my claim was approved to have the dinette slide floor replaced. I then checked my other slides and found my kitchen slide was doing the same thing. By this time I had already scheduled an appointment to have the dinette slide fixed so it was up to my service people (Affinity RV Group) to submit to have the kitchen slide floor replaced under warranty. This was also approved.
The moral of this story is to not take "Denied" as an answer if you feel you have a legitimate claim. Appeal until you have no other options.
I'm still not a fan of the build quality of Heartland (I don't know if any other manufacturers are any better), but at this point I'm darn glad I bought a Heartland product because their three year structural warranty saved me thousands of dollars for an issue that was totally their fault in production.
Check your floors on your slides and be sure everything is sealed and caulked properly so you don't have the same issue I have had.

Dahillbilly

Before I discuss my warranty experience I need to vent about the build quality of Heartland products. My first Heartland product was a 2009 Sundance 2900MK. I had so many issues that I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I traded it for a 2008 Cameo which was a great unit and in 2018 I was ready for something newer. Traded the Cameo in for a Bighorn Traveler 32RS hoping Heartland had upped its game in terms of build quality. That was not the case given all of the problems I have had with this unit. I also have to say that the dealer I bought from was a joke in terms of checking the unit out before purchase and service after.
That being said, I want to share my experience with a warranty issue I now have. One and a half years into ownership I noticed the floor of my dinette slide was beginning to delaminate on the leading edge. Thinking this was a structural issue that would be covered under the three year structural warranty I contacted Heartland to see what could be done. The person with whom I spoke said to send pictures and they would make a determination. Not more than ten minutes after I sent the pictures in I received an email stating that my claim was denied because I did not maintain the seals. I emailed back that I always check the seals and that the slide was always kept in unless I was in the unit which was not very often. I never heard back from them because of the shutdown due to Covid-19. I then contacted customer service and a new person contacted me back. Same story. Denied. I told this person that I wanted to appeal his decision because I felt this was a structural issue that should be covered. I was given the name of another person to send an appeal. Long story short, I had to send in more pictures and my claim was approved to have the dinette slide floor replaced. I them checked my other slides and found my kitchen slide was doing the same thing. By this time I had already scheduled an appointment to have the dinette slide fixed so it was up to my service people (Affinity RV Group) to submit to have the kitchen slide floor replaced under warranty. This was also approved.
The moral of this story is to not take "Denied" as an answer if you feel you have a legitimate claim. Appeal until you have no other options.
I'm still not a fan of the build quality of Heartland (I don't know if any other manufacturers are any better), but at this point I'm darn glad I bought a Heartland product because their three year structural warranty saved me thousands of dollars for an issue that was totally their fault in production.
Check your floors on your slides and be sure everything is sealed and caulked properly so you don't have the same issue I have had.

Thanks for sharing your experience

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for sharing!

Can you post some pictures so others can possibly know what to look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisandsama

I too have the 2018 32RS and have been very happy with the build quality of my rig. I am curious as to how water got into your slide floor, mine seem to be sealed very well. I spend a lot of time on and under mine checking for possible issues, my wife says I over think it but I don't think so. I too would like to see photos so I can curb any future problems. Thanks for the post I am glad Heartland stood behind their product and took care of you.

carl.swoyer

Thanks for letting everyone know how persistence pays.
Could you please attach the pictures that were finally approved.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I'd attach pictures but I can't figure out how to attach them from Google Photos.
Click on the sq that says photo files. You can add them 1 at a time unless your a premium member on Tapatalk.
78f4a96be1f9f2d25e13a0d7091196b6.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Here is the best I can do to show my slideout floor delamination. This should link to my photo The drip rail did not have sufficient butyl tape to prevent water infiltration to the wood of the floor as the fifth wheel sat on the dealer lot for almost a year with the slides in the out position. Hope this may help someone avoid my issue.
AF1QipOJ6PnjKb8-hKRIwf5hzQI3EKFHTn4h6uTBYJ00
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJ6PnjKb8-hKRIwf5hzQI3EKFHTn4h6uTBYJ00

mlpeloquin

Here is the best I can do to show my slideout floor delamination. This should link to my photo The drip rail did not have sufficient butyl tape to prevent water infiltration to the wood of the floor as the fifth wheel sat on the dealer lot for almost a year with the slides in the out position. Hope this may help someone avoid my issue.
AF1QipOJ6PnjKb8-hKRIwf5hzQI3EKFHTn4h6uTBYJ00
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOJ6PnjKb8-hKRIwf5hzQI3EKFHTn4h6uTBYJ00

Went to take a look and got file not found.

I'm guessing that file is password protected because it is from Google photos. I use a Chromebook and have tried everything I can think of to post a photo to no avail. Sorry.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing that file is password protected because it is from Google photos. I use a Chromebook and have tried everything I can think of to post a photo to no avail. Sorry.
This could be related to our recent forum posting issues. It's being looked into.

Peace
Dave

English

Please refer to my post in the Warranty Thread
Heartland does not stand behind there product. I have purchased two New 5th wheel Heartland trailers - never able to get any warranty work completed. I had a recall on the first unit Never fixed - When I traded that Unit in and went back check on my New 5th wheel claims that dealer ship was prepping my old unit for the new owners. Yes without the recall being fixed. How is it legal to sell a unit that has outstanding recall notices that have not been addressed?
Lots of bad stuff.