King Question Portable Satellite System

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
King Portable Satellite System Question

Hi everyone. My name is Terry Deal. It has been a while since I have been on the forum and I know a lot has changed. Just a little of our history before i ask my question. My wife Renee and I, live in NC and are former NC HOC chapter leaders. We have a wonderful son, daughter, son in law and a very precious grandson. After looking for a year we purchased a Heartland Landmark Mt. Rushmore new in November of 2004. It is actually one of the first Landmarks built,. It is number 134. We still love it and it looks and works great! Thank you Heartland. Now for my question. I have set up a directv sat dish for years when we camp and it is not to much trouble in most campgrounds, but I have recently been thinking about purchasing the King Quest Pro portable dish or something similar. What has been your experience with one of these portable systems? Thanks!

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Hey Terry, long time! We use Dish Network and have been happy with it. We first used a Winegard Carryout portable antenna and it worked very well. It only supports one television well, but I would recommend this model. It will work on both Dish and Direct TV by changing some dip switches.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: King Portable Satellite System Question

Hi Terry! Good to hear from you. We have had the King Quest for several years. It supports two TVs ( if you have two receivers). The only small issues we encounter are: The main receiver must be on for the bedroom receiver to work. The “setup” function on the bedroom receiver has to be run if we don’t use the that set for a couple of days.

We like DISH. We can turn the service off by just not paying the next months bill. We can turn it on with our phone app and we can switch local stations with our phone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trdeal

Thanks for the info guys. Just thinking about making the switch, but haven't decided what to do yet. Couldn't think of a better place to ask the question than the forum. Good to hear from you Gus. Hope you and Debra are doing good. The cg we go to most is wooded. There sites that have a clear view of the sky, but on some sites you need to shoot between the right trees to get the signal. Just wondered how the King Quest would do in that situation. Gus do you have direct now or dish?

trdeal

Hey Terry, long time! We use Dish Network and have been happy with it. We first used a Winegard Carryout portable antenna and it worked very well. It only supports one television well, but I would recommend this model. It will work on both Dish and Direct TV by changing some dip switches.
Hi JC, it has been a long time since i was on the forum. Life happens and you need to time spent on the forum for other things. i am realizing that I really have missed visiting here. Thanks for the info. Not exactly sure what we are going to do. I have always set the dish up myself and usually don't have a problem setting it up. Just looking at other possibilities. it would be nice to set the dish and let it do the work. The cg we go to most of the time is wooded and if you are in the area of the cg you are shooting towards the woods and just need to find the right hole between the trees to get a signal.

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Thanks for the info guys. Just thinking about making the switch, but haven't decided what to do yet. Couldn't think of a better place to ask the question than the forum. Good to hear from you Gus. Hope you and Debra are doing good. The cg we go to most is wooded. There sites that have a clear view of the sky, but on some sites you need to shoot between the right trees to get the signal. Just wondered how the King Quest would do in that situation. Gus do you have direct now or dish?

We have Dish. Love the pay as you go feature. We have been in spots where a signal has been hard to get. But, we have used our satellite dome with 100’ of cable to get it to a spot where it could see satellites.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Good day all, we have had our King satellite dish receiver for about two years now and love it. We are a Dish network subscriber at home so it is reasonable price to add it on to the RV. Works well. Portable. Easy set up.

in fact, we fabricated a ladder mount so the Satellite rides on the roof while we travel. Already wired into the trailer. Arrive at the campground. Level the trailer. Tell the receiver what state were in. Five minutes later, all of our channels from home are there. If there are obstructions in the way, we can also release the satellite in about 3-5 minutes and place it where needed.

Safe travels!!

trdeal

We have Dish. Love the pay as you go feature. We have been in spots where a signal has been hard to get. But, we have used our satellite dome with 100’ of cable to get it to a spot where it could see satellites.

Hey Gus. Does your system support HD?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Hey Gus. Does your system support HD?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

It does support HD. We get a ton of HD channels. You need a pretty good line of site to the southern sky. Trees and moderate/heavy rain will play havoc with the signal. The cable splitters they used in older trailers (like our 2011) are not of as high a quality as they are today. We now run our cable through a window (via a flat RG6 cable) to hook up to our receiver.

Aandaar

Good day all, we have had our King satellite dish receiver for about two years now and love it. We are a Dish network subscriber at home so it is reasonable price to add it on to the RV. Works well. Portable. Easy set up.

in fact, we fabricated a ladder mount so the Satellite rides on the roof while we travel. Already wired into the trailer. Arrive at the campground. Level the trailer. Tell the receiver what state were in. Five minutes later, all of our channels from home are there. If there are obstructions in the way, we can also release the satellite in about 3-5 minutes and place it where needed.

Safe travels!!

Hi all

We to have dish and the King Quest Pro. We love it and so easy to set up upon arrival.

JWalker

I have been thinking of mounting ours on the rear ladder. I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your ladder setup.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hi all

We to have dish and the King Quest Pro. We love it and so easy to set up upon arrival.

JWalker

I have been thinking of mounting ours on the rear ladder. I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your ladder setup.

I will get pictures as soon as we get the trailer back. It is currently in the shop getting slide toppers put on. These are the only few that I have. Very pleased and it works out well.
27683039d09b118e8b177633fa26b267.jpg

zolman

Since people on this thread are familiar with the capabilities of an RV King Direct TV system I'm sure someone can answer this question.
If the King DirecTV system only gets Standard Definition and not HD, what channels and programming are you not able to get from DirecTV?
I've got a SWM dish set up that gets SD and HD. But it is a pain to setup even though I have an AIM meter. I'm thinking that a King auto find setup would be easier to deal with. I don't particularily care about getting a crystal clear HD picture but I want to get all the channels.