North TraIL NO shore power

biddysere

I have pluged my NorthTrail into 2 seperate 30 amp stations. Once the battery goes dead, the whole trailer is dead. Totally new to this electrical stuff! Shouldn't I have power when plugged in and shouldn't the shore power also charge my battery? I think my microwave fried during this time also but not real sure as I have never used it to know if it was working. Thanks for any help

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned that you have plugged into two 30 amp receptacles. An incorrectly wired receptacle can have unwanted consequences.
Are you getting 120 volts to any receptacles in the trailer? Have you verified by using a meter that 120 volts are actually getting to your rig?
You need 120 volts for your converter to charge your battery.

Peace
Dave

biddysere

yes, checked the volts at the recepticle.
checked breakers, CFI outlets, and fuses. Fuse "Out" lights up when I unplug a fuse. Battery is dead after a couple of days

Flick

I have pluged my NorthTrail into 2 seperate 30 amp stations. Once the battery goes dead, the whole trailer is dead. Totally new to this electrical stuff! Shouldn't I have power when plugged in and shouldn't the shore power also charge my battery? I think my microwave fried during this time also but not real sure as I have never used it to know if it was working. Thanks for any help

As Dave said, on the surface first inclination would be that the first 30a plug station may have been a 30a 240v that if it was it fried your control board. Also anything that was plugged in could have been hurt but not always the case if your fortunate, like the microwave. You need to check the first source you plugged in to and keep your fingers crossed it wasn’t 240v which would have had 2 @ 30a circuits entering your coach instead of 1 @ 30a like an rv plug is.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

The Convertor. Do other 120 vac appliances work?

There are reverse polarity fues that might be blown on the Fuse panel, this is all 12 VDC.

Depending on converter there might bs a fuse in it itself.

You should check the outlet if equipped where the Convertor is plugged into or the AC breaker in the Breaker panel.

Lou_and_Bette

Am I reading your problem as you have power when plugged in to shore power but no 12 volt (lights, etc.) when not hooked to 30 Amp source? if so, there is a reset button on the main bus bar near the batteries that can be popped. Hopefully someone will post a picture of this breaker

biddysere

<p>
I 1st posted about 2 weeks ago. Bought a voltage tester since to make sure pwr was indeed going to the camper, which it is. Had to make sure recepticle was correct. Now I am trying to follow the trail, checking each problem area. I just don't what I should be checking</p>

Flick

Control board?
Is that the inverter, transfer switch or fuse panel? Where is itlocated?

What I referred to was the power control center. This is actually where the 120v is distributed at the breakers and the 12v fuses are there also. If you had 240v coming into that center, it likely burned out a circuit board within.
All of this is mute if your voltage coming in was correct. So figure out first if your incoming voltage was faulty. If it was correct and only 120v coming in, continue to search elsewhere for the problem.

biddysere

This is what I have found. Notice the big X on the tube.
Power to the left of the board, none on the right. Power to the breakers. No power at the fuses ( battery disconnected). Big red & white wires at fuse block, no power. I thought this may be main power coming in?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

biddysere

I found several that look just like it on the web. Wfco Wf-8935 MBA Main Board Assembly - 35 Amp.

Automatic three-stage converter/charger

Power Input: 950W

Input Voltage: 105-130 VAC/60 Hz

Output Current: 55A

Output Voltage: 13.6 VDC (normal) / 13.2 VDC (trickle charge) / 14.4 VDC (bulk charge

Sounds like what I need?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

biddysere

<p>
Trying this again, Tapatalk says it is here.
62ee8908a9ba81e047cb54aa42596229.jpg
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk</p>

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
<p>
I 1st posted about 2 weeks ago. Bought a voltage tester since to make sure pwr was indeed going to the camper, which it is. Had to make sure recepticle was correct. Now I am trying to follow the trail, checking each problem area. I just don't what I should be checking</p>
Hmm, your pics are sorting through Tapatalk but not using a browser on my PC.
There has been some odd issues here lately. Being looked into.

Peace
Dave

Flick

<p>
Trying this again, Tapatalk says it is here.
62ee8908a9ba81e047cb54aa42596229.jpg
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk</p>

Do you have access to check the power source to see what you were plugged in to? Once again, it will tell you the story. Also if you need to replace the control center, go apples to apples. Your exact control center should be available somewhere making the job simpler to accomplish.

danemayer

I think you're saying that you have 120V AC at the circuit breakers. I saw you said you checked receptacles for 120V AC, but you didn't say whether they were getting power.

So let me assume that none of the 12V DC lights or devices are working, either inside or outside. The battery is dead. The furnace and air conditioner and thermostat are dead. the water heater (if Suburban) works on 120V AC, but not on propane/12V DC.

And your microwave may be fried for some reason.

If that's all correct, I would say you either had a power surge/lightning strike/incorrectly wired 30 amp pedestal. The high voltage fried both your microwave and the Power Converter board in your power center.

While on shore power, the Power Converter takes in 120V AC and outputs 12V DC to the fuses and to the battery to keep it charged. If that's all working, when you disconnect from shore power, the battery supplies power to the fuses so lights and other things work.

You might find our Electrical User Guide helpful. It's more oriented toward 50 amp electrical service, but the principles are the same.

biddysere

After seeing the control panel, sure it was a surge or improperly wired source (which is in Florida, away from home so I can not test it). I'm going to replace the board and then see what happens.
Thanks everyone!!!