Power Converter Intelli Power 9280

gusjon

I have a 2015 Big Horn 3160. Recently I heard a constant noise coming from inside the 5th I couldn't identify. After searching, I found the noise to be from
the fan of the power converter. It is running all the time when plugged in to shore power. Searched Progressive Dynamics website and nothing. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When my converter started making noise it wasn't long before it failed.
You might be looking at replacement in the future.

Peace
Dave

Flick

How are your batteries? I'm wondering if the converter might be trying hard to recharge a defective battery

Our converter runs 24/7. Been like that from day 1. Used to concern me but got used to it. At times I can’t tell whether it’s the converter or the transfer switch ( they are side by side) even if I am right near them using a make shift stethoscope. I’ll replace it if it goes out.
Of course, mine not making unusual noise.
Also, 2 new AGM batteries.

wdk450

Do you have the Charge Wizard Charging State Indicator/Switch pendant connected to the converter and mounted where you can see it? This will tell you which mode the converter is in. The converter/charger runs continnuously normally to light your inside lights and 12 volt stuff, and has 4 charging stages it goes through. See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
You might try spray lubricant on the fan.

Oregon_Camper

<p>
Our converter runs 24/7. Been like that from day 1. Used to concern me but got used to it. At times I can’t tell whether it’s the converter or the transfer switch ( they are side by side) even if I am right near them using a make shift stethoscope. I’ll replace it if it goes out. Of course, mine not making unusual noise. Also, 2 new AGM batteries.
Flip the circuit breaker for the converter....then you will know which one is making noise. I am guessing it is the converter, as a TS do not make noise.</p>

Flick

<p>
Flip the circuit breaker for the converter....then you will know which one is making noise. I am guessing it is the converter, as a TS do not make noise.</p>

I always thought that to about the TS but they have a very low hum. At least mine does and if you move the lid around you can feel the vibration.

bobw

I had to change my TS this winter when that low hum that you would hear it in the camper and sitting outside.

gusjon

Everyone thank you for your responses. Here is where I am at with my converter fan
running all the time.
Batteries checked and fine.
Battery charge with converter running above 14 volts.
Auto parts store said above 14 volts is bad.
Converter fan still runs after batteries are unhooked.
Rep from converter co. was no help.
Ordered a remote pendant to check converter mode.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
Gusjon

wdk450

Re: "Auto parts store said above 14 volts is bad" . The Progressive 9200 Series converter/charger systems was designed by electronic engineers, not Auto parts countermen. This system routinely doubles RV battery life. thee key to this longer battery life is the 14.4 volt Desulphation cycle which the converter/charger goes into for 15 minutes every 2 days. With the charge wizard pendant, you can see when this is happening with the indicator LED going on solid for 15 minutes every couple of days (and your lights going brighter, and your fans going faster for those 15 minutes).
This charging system replicates the premium 3 stage charging systems for lead acid battery powered devices that I saw in my career as a Hospital Bioomedical Electronics Technician. The 4th, desulphation, stage is a step above those medical systems I serviced.