Level-up gone wacky

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This weekend we took a trip and while traveling hit a bridge transition that caused a strong porpoising motion. When we got to our destination, on a fairly level site, auto level caused the right side to be extended fully, lifting tires off the ground, forcing the rig at a wild angle. The panel said the left side was at -8.9 degrees! After numerous attempts, we finally got it close to level for our stay.

I did searches here for the solution and found where some said the sensor was knocked out of place. Another said the hydraulic fluid was low. We are going to try the hydraulic fluid first but was wondering if I can just add some, or do we need to extract what’s in the reservoir (with everything retracted and closed up) and put new in?

If adding, does anyone recommend a fluid? Would need to be able to buy locally, so we have it to add when we head home Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ericka,I would not worry about the fluid reservoir if it is not very low.
I'd put my money on the sensor which is usual mounted on a frame brace about mid ship, center of the rig.
I've read about a number of sensors that have fallen loose.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Erika,

It's probably one of the sensors. Easier to check the front compartment first. If that's ok, the rear sensor probably moved from the highway hit. These pics may help get you started on where to look. In the 1st pic, you can see an what looks like overflow fitting at the top. I think that would be at the rear of the fresh tank.

Levelup Rear Sensor Location.jpgLevelup Rear Sensor to rear of fresh tank.jpg

Automatic Transmission Fluid. But to evaluate the fill level, jacks and slides must be retracted. 3/4" below the top is considered full. I wouldn't worry about removing old fluid.

A. Dexron 3/Mercon ATF
B. Mercon 5 ATF
C. Dexron 6 ATF
D. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
E. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
F. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42°C (-45°F).

Gary521

Have you tried to reset the system? I have has some success by removing the red wire to the control box for a couple seconds and then recalibrating the system. This may or may not work but its worth a try.

TravelTiger

Ericka,I would not worry about the fluid reservoir if it is not very low.
I'd put my money on the sensor which is usual mounted on a frame brace about mid ship, center of the rig.
I've read about a number of sensors that have fallen loose.

Peace
Dave

Dave, we haven’t checked the fluid level lately but know we have a very small leak.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Erika my rig has done that a few times now over the years. I would just manually level it then do the re calibration, (Power off, 10 up, 10 down, and hit enter) I think the next time you set up it will work properly.. That has been my experience.

Good luck hope it works.

Jerrod

Lou_and_Bette

<p>
Erika, our rig did the same thing. However, with the Swivelwheel trailer on the back, the bike was almost parallel to the ground. Very scary and the system was locked out due to the extreme angle. I did remember that entering manual mode allowed us to correct the problem at that time but the actual fix involved reseating the rear sensor. Sorry, I do not know how to attach my thread on fixing it but you can search my threads and find my report on how I fixed it. Not complicated but a bit of PITA. Good luck</p>

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
<p>
Erika, our rig did the same thing. However, with the Swivelwheel trailer on the back, the bike was almost parallel to the ground. Very scary and the system was locked out due to the extreme angle. I did remember that entering manual mode allowed us to correct the problem at that time but the actual fix involved reseating the rear sensor. Sorry, I do not know how to attach my thread on fixing it but you can search my threads and find my report on how I fixed it. Not complicated but a bit of PITA. Good luck</p>
Lou is this the thread of your description? Sensor Fix Post #3

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our Level-up does the complete opposite. After unhooking, it either raises the front nose all the way up and trips the breaker - or bottoms down and wont come back up to start leveling. We have had to manually level for the time being until we back home/dealer.

Lou_and_Bette

<p>
Lou is this the thread of your description? Sensor Fix[/URL] Post #3 Peace Dave
That is it Dave, thanks</p>

- - - Updated - - -

Our Level-up does the complete opposite. After unhooking, it either raises the front nose all the way up and trips the breaker - or bottoms down and wont come back up to start leveling. We have had to manually level for the time being until we back home/dealer.
Have you tried resetting the level point? When my sensor was misplaced, I could usually get by with a couple of autolevels after each time resetting the level point. It all depended on how rough the roads were. It helped until we got home and I could fix the problem,

TravelTiger

Well, we must have a gremlin. When we went to hook up, the control pad read normal for level.

We hitched up and checked the fluid level, it’s the same mark as a previous measurement.

When we got back to our home site, the level up worked perfectly! And this site was much more off level that the one we were at!

Now, the Splendide Combo is making a grinding noise when it goes to drain or spin the clothes. It worked fine yesterday!!

NYSUPstater

Not a reply to tigers post, but rather a question for everyone on danemayers post. In it, he has 2 pics of what the seonsors look like and where. Not sure about everyone else, but when I click onto 1 to view it larger, it does so w/o a problem. Problem is that when I want to go back to view the 2nd pic using the back arrow at top of screen, the 1st pic gets very dark when back arrow is hit once and when hit again, I go back to main screen and out of the subject/topic area. So in order to see 2nd pic, have to go back into thread and then click onto 2nd pic. Same thing will happen as with viewing 1st pic when trying to exit. NOW if a pic has the close tab on it.....no problem.
I have asked about this many times and still have same issue. Do others as well? Is it on our end of things?

Ldo

Hello Justruckin, regarding resetting level-up system. What is 10 up 10 down? What does that mean? Also, are the instructions also in the manual? Ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LBR

Download the "MyLCI" app on your phone and get aquatinted with it. It will aid you with all of your questions regarding Lippert products on your trailer.

Lou_and_Bette

Hello Justruckin, regarding resetting level-up system. What is 10 up 10 down? What does that mean? Also, are the instructions also in the manual? Ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To reset your zero point to the level you desire;
1. Push either UP or DOWN arrow on Level-up panel until display indicates "to begin manual mode press ENTER,
2. I place 2' level on floor near the door and line it up with edges of tile and using the buttons on control panel (you are still in manual mode) until your level on the floor indicates you are level side to side, and front to back.
3. Turn power OFF on the Level-up control panel
4. Push the "Front" button 10 times in rapid succession
5. Immediately push the "Rear" button 10 times in rapid succession
6. Display should indicate you are setting your zero point and push ENTER to confirm and set

09Busaman

I didnt want to post the same question again. Did the OP find anything that resolved the issue? Ours worked fine at the walk through at the dealer, worked fine for the shake down run and now it wont do anything remotely to correct behavior. At the site of our shake down run, we did get an out of stroke error on the front left jack, I ran out of blocks. I have reset zero calibration and spent a bit of time on the phone with Lippert Tech Support. He suggested I had bad controller panel or a bad sensor.

We are leaving for a two week trip in the morning and I plan to drop it off at the dealer on the 10th if I cant resolve it before then. Our rig is a 2021 Elkridge 37BAR.

In the morning I will check the back of the digital control panel for loose connections, and then later this week when I have time I will see if I can find the rear sensor. Someone already cut a hole in the underbelly but it looks to be between the rear axle and a tank. I couldnt find anything obvious there but I didnt have a flashlight with me. Should I check behind that tank? I just mounted a stinky slinky storage tube in that location too. 🤬

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.