No 30amp power, 50amp is good

Hi all, brand new to the forum. And new to troubleshooting electrical issues so please be kind! We have a 2012 Bighorn Silverado with the rear bunk house. Recently we tried to use 30amp, and nothing works except our 12v stuff. If we plug into 50amp all is well. I can't find any blown fuses or anything simple. Is this an inverter issue and if so does anyone one know where it is located?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Hall_Family and welcome to this great forum.
The first thing that comes to mind is are you sure that the 30 amp source is good? Have you checked 30 amp receptacle got power?
Is your 30/50 amp dog bone good?
And unless a previous owner installed an inverter you don't have one. Your rig came with a converter.
Check your 30 amp source.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If EVERYTHING works ok when plugged into a 50 amp receptacle, the 30 amp problem is, as Dave noted, either in the pedestal, or the adapters/dogbone.

Hello Hall_Family and welcome to this great forum.
The first thing that comes to mind is are you sure that the 30 amp source is good? Have you checked 30 amp receptacle got power?
Is your 30/50 amp dog bone good?
And unless a previous owner installed an inverter you don't have one. Your rig came with a converter.
Check your 30 amp source.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, I just placed an order for a new dogbone and it should be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon. I really do hope that it is just that simple!!!

wdk450

Bad 30 amp power outlets (and plugs) is a VERY OLD RVing problem that is somewhat like a virus. A corroded outlet (which you can't detect is faulty) under high current draws will generate heat (ideal electrical connections generate no heat) which accelerates corrosion, causing more electrical resistance and heat to the point of failure. Plugging your good 30 amp plug into a faulty outlet and drawing high currents will cause the prongs on your plug to be discolored and electrically resisitive, spreading the "virus" to the next RV outlet you plug into and onto another RVer. 50 amp plugs are built MUCH beefier and don't seem to suffer from this syndrome as much.

BTW, this "Virus" starts with people plugging/unplugging to the park space outlet with the outlet power ON, and the RV electrical load ON and immediately drawing current. This plugging/unplugging in LIVE makes an electrical arc which starts the metal contact deterioration process.

My approach to lessen this problem is a little like disinfecting surfaces against Covid. I use Caig DeOxIt D5 contact cleaner/restorer on the 30 amp outlet and plug BEFORE turning on the outlet power. Plugging and unplugging about 5 times will cause the contacting metal surfaces to rub and help make a better contact connection.

And when plugging in, I start with the park outlet switched off and my inside mains breakers switched off. I plug in, switch on the park power breaker at the outlet, then go inside and switch on my mains breakers. In leaving a campsite I do the same in reverse order. This results in NO ARCING at the 30 amp electrical outlet/plug.

First just want to say thank you to all who provided guidance, you all saved me a lot of trouble.

My new 50 amp to standard outlet dog-bone arrived yesterday as well as the WD-40 electrical connector cleaner. Once I got to the camper I found that the cabling setup my husband had set up was the 50 amp cord to a 30 amp reducer and then a 30 amp to standard outlet dog-bone. In my opinion, multiple potential fail points...

So I separated the 50 amp cord from the mix focusing on that first. I found significant corrosion on the prongs.
IMG_20200603_185110.jpg
I used the cleaner and a strong wire brush to remove the corrosion. I then plugged the new dog-bone in with the newly cleaned 50 amp cable and just like magic I had power in the camper!!! I'm not 100% sure if it was the corrosion or the dog-bone but all your ideas combined got me squared away. AND you made me look like a rock star to my husband. :cool:

THANK YOU!
amy

SNOKING

First just want to say thank you to all who provided guidance, you all saved me a lot of trouble.

My new 50 amp to standard outlet dog-bone arrived yesterday as well as the WD-40 electrical connector cleaner. Once I got to the camper I found that the cabling setup my husband had set up was the 50 amp cord to a 30 amp reducer and then a 30 amp to standard outlet dog-bone. In my opinion, multiple potential fail points...

So I separated the 50 amp cord from the mix focusing on that first. I found significant corrosion on the prongs.
View attachment 64229
I used the cleaner and a strong wire brush to remove the corrosion. I then plugged the new dog-bone in with the newly cleaned 50 amp cable and just like magic I had power in the camper!!! I'm not 100% sure if it was the corrosion or the dog-bone but all your ideas combined got me squared away. AND you made me look like a rock star to my husband. :cool:

THANK YOU!
amy

Wow, the neutral terminal looks really bad. I hope you have a good 50 amp hard wired EMS (electrical management system). If you loose that neutral circuit you can fry most of your AC items in the trailer. Chris