What length of extension cord???

parallon

Hello. Just about to order an extension cord, and was wondering how often I would actually need a 50' cord? Will 25' meet most of my needs in most RV parks? How about a 50-30 Amp adapter? My trailer is 30 Amp, so just wondering how often people see parks with only a 50 Amp outlet?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

jbeletti

Mike - I've found in many years of RVing that a 12' 50A extension cord is all I've ever needed. 50' is big and heavy. Nice - but likely overkill by 50% :)

parallon

Mike - I've found in many years of RVing that a 12' 50A extension cord is all I've ever needed. 50' is big and heavy. Nice - but likely overkill by 50% :)

jbeletti, thank you so much for that info. Gotta cut down on weight and free up additional space anywhere we can. :)

Mike

danemayer

If the trailer is 30 amp, you don't need a 50 amp extension cord. Get a 30 amp cord and a 50-->30 adapter in case you ever run into a park that has only a 50 amp receptacle, or perhaps one where the 30 amp receptacle is not working.

parallon

If the trailer is 30 amp, you don't need a 50 amp extension cord. Get a 30 amp cord and a 50-->30 adapter in case you ever run into a park that has only a 50 amp receptacle, or perhaps one where the 30 amp receptacle is not working.

Hi Dan. That is what I was asking. Hoe often do you run into parks with only 50 amp service, to where I would need a 50->30 amp adapter? ?

Mike

danemayer

Hi Dan. That is what I was asking. Hoe often do you run into parks with only 50 amp service, to where I would need a 50->30 amp adapter? ?

Mike

I think maybe once in Bullard, TX, and at my house. I'd say it's more likely you'd run into a pedestal where the 30 amp receptacle was damaged or not working properly.

An adapter is around $20 and is worth having.

I carry an adapter so I can plug my 50 amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle. Used very infrequently. But a week ago in making a reservation, the park let me know that only 30 amp sites were available. As it turned out, someone cancelled and I got a 50 amp site. But I was prepared.

Gary521

Just for me, I have never run into a park that only have 50 amp outlets. I have run into some goofy situations where I had to share a power outlet and in Phoenix at one place they would not let you use an adapter. If you had 30 amp you had to use the spots that had 30 amp and if you had 50 then you had to use the sites with 50. I have a 15 foot 50 amp extension as I have 50 amp service and that is more than enough. I got it on line as this was cheaper that the local Camping World or other RV parts places

jbeletti

Mike - sorry I missed that in your post (30 A unit).

I have run into a 50A outlet "only" more than once but a low percentage of the time. We're in more CGs per season than most people are.

Last edited:

Flick

Hello. Just about to order an extension cord, and was wondering how often I would actually need a 50' cord? Will 25' meet most of my needs in most RV parks? How about a 50-30 Amp adapter? My trailer is 30 Amp, so just wondering how often people see parks with only a 50 Amp outlet?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My suggestion is to not get a 50’ cord. Once you wrap that bad boy up when it’s wet and dirty in the middle of the winter, you’ll be kicking yourself.
Here’s what we do. We have a 35’ cord that we always use. It came with the unit. Almost 100% of the time, it’s sufficient. But that’s not good enough for me. I have an extra 25’ cord with all the adapters needed for any scenario. If we’ve been traveling all day, the last thing I need is to pull into a park and not be able to cool down our unit for the DW. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m prepared if I ever need it.
The second rv grade full amperage cord is considered an extension, so once again, adapters are needed.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
All it will take is that one time that you need an extension cord...and you don't have one...and you'll know how much extra cord you'll need.

The 30-amp 25-footer is probably the best bet as that should cover just about any instance of needing extra power cord length.

And yes...get a 50-amp dogbone adapter.

Even though my RV'er were 30-amp, if the pedestal had both 30 and 50-amp plugs...I'd use that always.

The 30-amp plugs all seem to be worn out in most RV parks...

Bobby A

My suggestion is to not get a 50’ cord. Once you wrap that bad boy up when it’s wet and dirty in the middle of the winter, you’ll be kicking yourself.
Here’s what we do. We have a 35’ cord that we always use. It came with the unit. Almost 100% of the time, it’s sufficient. But that’s not good enough for me. I have an extra 25’ cord with all the adapters needed for any scenario. If we’ve been traveling all day, the last thing I need is to pull into a park and not be able to cool down our unit for the DW. It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m prepared if I ever need it.
The second rv grade full amperage cord is considered an extension, so once again, adapters are needed.

X2, this exactly what I did, you can buy a 25 foot cord on line for a lot cheaper than RV parts stores.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
X2, this exactly what I did, you can buy a 25 foot cord on line for a lot cheaper than RV parts stores.

True...but not all cords are created equal.

Just be sure you are getting a quality cord as there are a lot of cheepies out there.

parallon

Thank you all for your valuable input. I had purchased a 25'er, but just started second guessing whether I would need longer. I actually just discovered that the trailer has quite a bit bundled up inside the trailer. I just figured they provided a 2' piece, and I would need an extension. I haven't pulled out the whole thing, but it was a nice surprise. :)

Again, thank you all!!!

Mike

NYSUPstater

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have a 25' (gosh I really need to check my memory bank more often) either 30or 50Amper. Really don't recall off hand, but coach is a 50 amp. Anther senerio you may run into is reverse parking of RV. Had this happen a couple years ago and had to use ext cord and either my 50' water hose of both 25&50 foot water hose. Sites were designed orig for MH so all the hook ups are by the road. Made for interesting hook ups.

Daley07

I chose Camco's 30 amp power cord after a friend recommended it. It really lives up to my expectations of perfectly matching my RV. The connectors are NEMA TT-30P and TT-30R compliant. What I had to do was connect the RV's power cord to the female connector, then plug the male connector into the power supply. I especially like the PowerGrip plug because it makes me feel safe when plugging in and unplugging the chord-the handle on the plug itself is a nice safety feature and doesn't require much effort on my part.