Reliable Mobile Internet Service?

I am new to the RV world and will be living in my full time. I also work from home. I need good reliable internet service. Please advise.
Is it best to get a satellite internet? Are those hard to connect at each location? I am a single female so it can not be to heavy to connect.

jbeletti

Re: Internet Service l

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Good reliable internet service while on the road can usually be obtained from cellular-based phone service providers (i.e. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile etc.).

How good and reliable is then a function of your proximity to their nearest cellular tower, how much Internet bandwidth is provisioned to that tower and what the current utilization of that bandwidth is.

There are currently few satellite delivered Internet services and those generally have high-latency (not great). Once Starlink (also satellite-based) becomes available (later this year and early next year), the latency issue should be negligible (due to using low earth orbiting satellites).

I suggest you add a Hotspot to your voice wireless carrier for the time being and see how that works out for you.

danemayer

Hi lisalperry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I think there are some satellite options and I hope someone here has experience and can give you the benefit of what they've been through.

You might also consider an unlimited data plan from your cell phone provider, with a MiFi to create a local WiFi signal in your RV. Many people here find Verizon offers reliable service near most major highways, cities and towns. Of course if you're way out off the grid, no one has cell data service.

You'll find on unlimited cell data plans that they usually have some data cap after which they may slow down your service. So depending on how you're using the internet, that could be a consideration.

Satellites parked in geosynchronous orbit at 22,000 miles have high latency or lag time. There are a couple of low-earth orbit satellite systems that are just getting started later this year or next year that may have better performance.

Thank you - really nervous the cell hot spot won't be enough "juice" for my laptop all day.
Very new to RV life these forums help.

thanks

jmarnell

Garypowell

Starting in 1996 we traveled full time with our business. For 3 years we used an acoustical modem and pay phones. In those days we were sometimes allowed to use the fax line at RV parks and copy and office supply stores too.

as soon as possible we switched to hot spots and they worked for us.....and now we just teather to our iPhones when we are traveling.

we do basic email and web browsing.....I think you might be surprised how well a teather works.

if you are doing graphic design or other big file work....you might have to search out a land line.

if you are staying in RV parks (like we are now) find out who the local supplier is (this park uses Spectrum for their cable) buy a modem and get an account. We are paying $44.95 per month.

if you move often and Spectrum, for example, is in that same area just hook your modem up and you should be good to go.

There are cellular service boosters available which I've read can really help get a stronger cell signal. WeBoost is the brand I've heard about the most. Check these out on the TechnoRV website: https://www.technorv.com/cell-phone-mifi-boosters/cell-booster-kits/.
'

Thanks I will research

- - - Updated - - -

Starting in 1996 we traveled full time with our business. For 3 years we used an acoustical modem and pay phones. In those days we were sometimes allowed to use the fax line at RV parks and copy and office supply stores too.

as soon as possible we switched to hot spots and they worked for us.....and now we just teather to our iPhones when we are traveling.

we do basic email and web browsing.....I think you might be surprised how well a teather works.

if you are doing graphic design or other big file work....you might have to search out a land line.

if you are staying in RV parks (like we are now) find out who the local supplier is (this park uses Spectrum for their cable) buy a modem and get an account. We are paying $44.95 per month.

if you move often and Spectrum, for example, is in that same area just hook your modem up and you should be good to go.

Thank you All this helps

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Check out this website, a lot of great free info but also very knowledgeable and helpful if you join their paid service. I joined for a year when we first went fulltime, learned a lot. Now just follow them via their Facebook group.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur

Check out this website, a lot of great free info but also very knowledgeable and helpful if you join their paid service. I joined for a year when we first went fulltime, learned a lot. Now just follow them via their Facebook group.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2x on TravelTigers recommendation. You can learn a great deal from that site even without paying for membership!