Installing 6500 Cummings LP generator in my new 2019 Bighorn

Angler

Hi folks! I just bought a brand new 2019 Bighorn. I will be installing a 6500 LP generator in it.

When I order the gen, does it come with all of the wire harnesses to just plug in the a gen ready trailer?
Since I bought my trailer 2000 miles from where I live, I can't exactly open up access panels and such.
I know I will have to tie into the propane line, but that's not a problem.

Any help or thoughts on this would be great!

danemayer

Hi Angler,

If your Bighorn was ordered with Generator Prep, you'll probably have a junction box in the front with wires inside that go to the transfer switch that's part of the prep. Generator Prep may also include a remote start switch in the control panel with wire running to the front compartment.

Does the 6500 generator come with wires that would go from generator to junction box? I don't know, but you might plan on getting some wire locally. Installation locations and vehicle application is going to vary. It would surprise me if Onan didn't expect those materials to be sourced locally.

Not sure whether exhaust pipe is included in Generator Prep. Onan shows it as a separate purchase. You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Hopefully they can tell you if the remote switch and exhaust pipe are installed as part of generator prep.

Angler

Hi Angler,

If your Bighorn was ordered with Generator Prep, you'll probably have a junction box in the front with wires inside that go to the transfer switch that's part of the prep. Generator Prep may also include a remote start switch in the control panel with wire running to the front compartment.

Does the 6500 generator come with wires that would go from generator to junction box? I don't know, but you might plan on getting some wire locally. Installation locations and vehicle application is going to vary. It would surprise me if Onan didn't expect those materials to be sourced locally.

Not sure whether exhaust pipe is included in Generator Prep. Onan shows it as a separate purchase. You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Hopefully they can tell you if the remote switch and exhaust pipe are installed as part of generator prep.

Great information. Thank you.

I was looking at the installation kits available, but it looks like I'll need to call Heartland first.

Dennis58

Hi there, in the market for a generator for my 2020’Landmark Concord and am wondering gas versus propane. Of course propane is much cleaner and easier to use but just wanted to see what other 5th wheelers recommend. Thanks

danemayer

Hi there, in the market for a generator for my 2020’Landmark Concord and am wondering gas versus propane. Of course propane is much cleaner and easier to use but just wanted to see what other 5th wheelers recommend. Thanks

The key question for gas or diesel is where to put a fuel cell. There's no accommodation for it in a Landmark, so you'd have to figure it out yourself.

esscobra

IMG_7928.jpgex4.jpg14.jpgex3.jpgex2.jpgex1.jpgI have close to 800 hrs on my 2 year old 7k onan efi gas generator in my bighorn- gas is much easier locate and get on weekend holidays and also upon arriving somewhere - there are many easily mountable fuel tank options - think touhauler etc- I ordered my unit with the 40lb propane tanks- I mounted a 14gal gas tank on the door side where it has a short run to the genny- very easy to fill from 5gal jugs- if you have gen prep then it will have a enclosure in front area under hitch area- it will have a plug from inside panel that plugs right into onan and allows you to start from inside- you will need to route the leads from genset to junction box for power to coach- you will need some battery cable to power starter on generator- you will need some sealing tape /putty to seal generator exhaust area to base and some exhaust tubing- any good exhaust place can custom make the exhaust you need- I made up a template from pvc pipe and took with me for them to duplicate- I ran to off door side and back so it exits away fom slide/doors so I can run genturi kit that send exhaust up to roof line
with the 7k - even in south texas summer heat in middle of nascar track on asphalt can run converter- res fridge - both a/cs 3 tvs sats - outdoor fan microwave- chargers etc with no issues - do not regret buying it- got this tank cause I needed something asap with plans to mount larger tank underneath but is has been so handy where it is I dint get bigger one
feel free to contact me if you have question

Angler

I decided to go with a gas Cummins 7.0HGJAB-67, it has (2) 30amp breakers. I will be using a 14 gallon portable gas cell.
I don't want to give up storage space. I'm also adding a 3rd AC at the same time. I really thought the air flow would be better than it is.
I went through all the ducts and taped up the poor job the factory did.

FarzUKnow

View attachment 64345View attachment 64346View attachment 64347View attachment 64348View attachment 64349View attachment 64350I have close to 800 hrs on my 2 year old 7k onan efi gas generator in my bighorn- gas is much easier locate and get on weekend holidays and also upon arriving somewhere - there are many easily mountable fuel tank options - think touhauler etc- I ordered my unit with the 40lb propane tanks- I mounted a 14gal gas tank on the door side where it has a short run to the genny- very easy to fill from 5gal jugs- if you have gen prep then it will have a enclosure in front area under hitch area- it will have a plug from inside panel that plugs right into onan and allows you to start from inside- you will need to route the leads from genset to junction box for power to coach- you will need some battery cable to power starter on generator- you will need some sealing tape /putty to seal generator exhaust area to base and some exhaust tubing- any good exhaust place can custom make the exhaust you need- I made up a template from pvc pipe and took with me for them to duplicate- I ran to off door side and back so it exits away fom slide/doors so I can run genturi kit that send exhaust up to roof line
with the 7k - even in south texas summer heat in middle of nascar track on asphalt can run converter- res fridge - both a/cs 3 tvs sats - outdoor fan microwave- chargers etc with no issues - do not regret buying it- got this tank cause I needed something asap with plans to mount larger tank underneath but is has been so handy where it is I dint get bigger one
feel free to contact me if you have question
Where did you get that fuel can? I'm in the process of setting up my 7k Onan now. Thanks for the post and info.

Routemaster

I also have a question we have been getting loss offshore power and I have had to switch on my Onan gen, so is there a way to have come on automatically?
Den

FarzUKnow

I also have a question we have been getting loss offshore power and I have had to switch on my Onan gen, so is there a way to have come on automatically?
Den
I believe with an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and the proper control wire to your Onan from the OneControl system it will switch over after a short interval. I still have to wire mine up so I can't offer much past that currently.