Need Info for US Trip Planning

BobEckert

Hi! I am sure I'm not anywhere close to posting this in the right spot....I have a Cyclone 4250. I rarely used it but now thinking about doing a US tour over the next 18-24 months. Any advice on where I can look first on this portal or elsewhere to gain knowledge on how to reserve spots and do my iteanrry? My gut tells me lot of HUGS members are expert at what I'm trying to do. Sorry if this interrupts your thread. I'll keep searching for a more appropriate spot. Thanks! BobE

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Bob,

I moved your post to its own thread under Route/Trip Planning.

The general process:

1. Figure out what you want to see or do, identifying the "anchor" points for your trip.
  2. Use Google Maps or similar site to plot the rough course and get mileage from one point to another.
  3. Decide how far you want to travel each day. If your max speed is 65 mph, assume you'll probably average around 50. If you want to travel for 4 hours, that gives you about 200 miles per day.
  4. Drill down on the map to see what intermediate travel locations you might want to visit.
  5. Locate RV Parks near those locations. If using Google Maps, once you locate a city or town, you can ask Maps for RV Parks nearby.
  6. Use a website like campgroundreviews.com to get more info about the RV Parks and to find other choices nearby.
  7. Build a tentative itinerary with your travel dates, how long you plan to stay at each location, and the tentative park information.
  8. Once you pick some campgrounds that are a match to your plans and can accommodate your rig, call to see they have any openings on your dates.
  9. Depending on dates of travel, you may find many campgrounds have no vacancies. For example, Colorado has many great State Parks with excellent RV facilities. But you need to make reservations very early.
  10. Stay flexible and adjust your travel locations and dates as necessary to lock in reservations for the whole trip.
  11. Be sure to understand cancellation and change policies. They can vary a lot. Also, some parks want their money at the time of reservation. Others want a credit card to hold the reservation but don't charge it until your arrival, unless you're a no show.

I make a table for the itinerary, including park address, phone, name of person who took the reservation, payment details, etc. I keep a copy in the truck and in the cloud so I can also get to it from my phone.

Don't hesitate to ask for specific recommendations on parks or attractions once you decide what location you want to visit.

Good luck with your planning and the actual trip.

BobEckert

Wow Dane, this is incredible information! Thank you so much! I've traveled quite a bit for my job but nothing like this. First i need to learn all aspects of the Cyclone....it's an amazing RV with a lot of comforts of home. I have a F350 dually to pull which. If you don't mind me asking another question - I was thinking of getting a motorcycle or another vehicle to use vs the dually to explore. I'm not even sure the ramp weight capacity. But wondering if you have any insights to best utility vehicle to haul. I have a 4250 if that helps. Thank you again for the response!!

danemayer

I was thinking of getting a motorcycle or another vehicle to use vs the dually to explore. I'm not even sure the ramp weight capacity. But wondering if you have any insights to best utility vehicle to haul. I have a 4250 if that helps. Thank you again for the response!!

I'll let others chime in for suggestions on vehicles to carry or tow. If towing, you need to be careful. Lippert would tell you the frame is not designed to tow. Also, states have different limits on total length and towing of 2 trailers. But you wouldn't be the first to do this, so I'm sure you'll get some advice shortly.

BobEckert

Why not just put the bike in the CY garage instead of towing a 2nd unit (if possible)?
Hi, yes if a Motorcycle is the best choice, the CY garage would be perfect vs towing. I'm not looking to tow anything. Rather, asking if anyone has ideas on what their recommendation vehicle to haul - motorcycle, razor, atv? I'm looking for something that can be driven on the street once at a destination and not too heavy for the CY ramp. Was wondering if a mini cooper would would work or if razors are street legal. I know a motorcycle would work but not sure I want to do a motorcycle i.e., golf clubs etc.

mlburst1

We have used RV Trip Wizard for years to plan our trips.

Easy to use - shows RV parks, preferred daily mileage travel rings and any other POI you may want to see on the map.

It's subscription based but well worth the money.

Mike

BobEckert

We have used RV Trip Wizard for years to plan our trips.

Easy to use - shows RV parks, preferred daily mileage travel rings and any other POI you may want to see on the map.

It's subscription based but well worth the money.

Mike

Thank you so much Mike! I just downloaded it and played with some and looks exactly what a rookie like me needs. Thank you and have an incredible day!

CoveredWagon

If you belong to Good Sam use their exclusive trip planner. It takes a little digging to get there, but once you figure it out is great. I plan our 3 to 4 month summers with it. I've learned a few tricks.
First thing is decide where you want to go and then pick your route and get all the state maps you can. Now it's time to use the Good Sam planner. At least that's how I do it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We figure out where we are going to travel to each day and then use the Good Sam Trip Planner to search that area for campgounds. It allows us to see the quality of the campgrounds without ever seeing the place.

Rod

NYSUPstater

Hi, yes if a Motorcycle is the best choice, the CY garage would be perfect vs towing. I'm not looking to tow anything. Rather, asking if anyone has ideas on what their recommendation vehicle to haul - motorcycle, razor, atv? I'm looking for something that can be driven on the street once at a destination and not too heavy for the CY ramp. Was wondering if a mini cooper would would work or if razors are street legal. I know a motorcycle would work but not sure I want to do a motorcycle i.e., golf clubs etc.

I think the doors as ramps can hold around 3,000# and as a patio about 1500#. Guess you'd have to look at length/width/weight of a Mini-Cooper and if tie downs in floor of CY are strong enough to hold a Cooper VS a bike. Don't think either that Razors are street legal. Can always look at a Can-Am "Spider?" 3 wheeler to bop around on good days w/ some storage (or perhaps able to tow a small tailer behind it yet store in CY as well) then use the truck on bad weather days.