SeeLevel II Gauge install

creeper

My next Mod is the SeeLevel II by Garnet Industries at http://www.rvgauge.com/

I as many Rvers are pretty fed up with those lame in tank gauges. Plus the one that came with the RV only reads in thirds.

I ordered them from http://www.bestconverter.com/

They were great to deal with. I had to return the first set as not compatible and the return was no fuss, no muss.

When you open the box you will have 1 display ( you can order a second for your docking station if you want), a number of sensors (depending on what model you choose) and 1 pig tail. I choose the sensor that covers black, grey, galley, fresh and battery. A total of 5 sensors.

Sensors:

DSC02348.jpg

You have to program them. This consists of cutting off one of the little tabs at the top for the corresponding tank.

You will also have to cut the sensors to proper length. As you look at the sensor picture you can see a number of segments. 8 total. You cut in the space between the segments to get the length you need.

Display:

DSC02354.jpg

This is the first display I ordered. It wasn't compatible with the wiring, so I returned it and got a different model. A 709-4 to be exact.

DO NOT CUT the sensors until you have measured, measured again and then measured again. One they are cut that's it. You also can't cut them to less then 4 1/2 inches. For my 3400RL the grey, galley and black tank all got cut to 4 1/2 inches. The fresh tank got cut to 6 inches.

Installation:

To install the sensors the belly of the beast must come off.

You're also going to need some 18 gauge wire, the wire is not supplied in the kit.

You also need to gain access to the back of the switch panel. It doesn't come off the front, so you have to go in behind it.

I removed the cabinet in the bathroom it comes out with 4 screws and you can get to see what is behind the panel. You have to cut a pretty big hole for the display and you don't want to be cutting blind.

DSC02358.jpg

I also removed the breaker box and fire extinguisher. You can get away with just removing the extinguisher.

I dropped all the lines through the cabinet hole , along the curb side of the instrument panel and they dropped down by the extinguisher.

DSC02356.jpg

You can see the small colored wires attached to a clip,which I used as weight to drop the lines.

DSC02359.jpg

The piece of wood and sawdust was not me. They are left overs. :)

You have to snake the lines down through the frame and down to the bottom of the camper.

I started at the fresh water tank. I measured the correct length and then cut the sensor to correct length. I didn't have to program it as it defaults to the fresh water tank. I cleaned the side of the tank with alcohol repeatedly. They recommend that you sand it with 220 and a orbital sander if the tank is not smooth. Once that was complete I attached the sensor temporally with some blue painters tape. THIS IS A MUST......

I repeated for the other tanks and programed the other sensors by cutting off the appropriate tabs.

The need for programing is that all sensors will be wired together. This saves on wire, cost and time. Wiring is simple. Blue to blue and black to black. Fresh to galley to black to grey to ground to panel. It's all very simple and straight forward.

I tapped into the old sensor box for 12 Volt power.

With all sensors temporally installed and system powering up with no error codes, I started filling the fresh water tank. This is where you will might need to make some adjustments, which I did. Even though there was about an inch of water in the tank, the pump would not pump any water. I had a 5% reading when first installed. Not good if it reads 5% and there is no usable water. I raised the sensor until I got what I wanted.

When filling here are some of the readings I got. I also visually inspected the water level at different readings.

Old system: Empty
New system: 6% and pumping water. I pumped water for a while and it still had usable water.

Old system: Fresh 1/3
Seelevel: 44%

Filled some more,

Old system: 2/3
New system: 50% at this level I measured and it was nearly exactly half the tank.

The old system never went to 100%. Water came shooting out of the fill hose and it couldn't get the last 1/2 inch of the tank filled.

I repeated for each tank, testing, emptying and checking levels. For the other tanks you have to rely on tapping.

The black tank was a great improvement.

After filling it for a short period it shot up to 2/3 full on the old system. A level we would normally, frantically looking emptying. The SeeLevel read 0%.. As I filled the See Level slowly went up and the old gauges stayed. When my old gauge went to full the SeeLevel read 67%. I slid under camper and tapped on the sides. The SeeLevel was right and the tank was not full. I then watched the SeeLevel go to 75,83,and eventually 100%. The whole time the old gauges read 100%.

Now that I was satisfied with the gauge readings I had to mount the sensors permanently. I marked the position with a permanent marker and removed the temporary tape.

I once again cleaned the surface. I then heated to the surface with a hair dryer to promote glue adhesion. I peeled the backer off and carefully placed the sensor. I also taped the edges with some duct tape. Repeated for all sensors and then tested. Once everything was tested and working, I covered the sensor with some rubberized undercoating. This is recommended by Garnet to prevent corrosion from the elements.

Here is the completed sensor install:

SANY0056.jpg

Note: The tanks in the RV have curbed edges and the tanks bow when filled. This will give you a slow to first reading on the SeeLevel. You actually have to cut the sensors shorter then the tank measurement because you can't bend them around the curved edges. This is not a problem, because of the increased accuracy you know if you have room left in your tanks. You can also carry less water if you are like us and only carry enough fresh water to flush the toilets.

Completed panel install

SANY0029.jpg

Emptied all tanks for one last test and that was it. Buttoned up the cabinets and I'm very satisfied with the upgrade.

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Creeper,

Again a very nice job and wish I could do that. Not having a place to work (fulltiming) presents a problem. Reading all of your upgrades that you do to your coach I always wonder if you use it or just work on it. What is your next project?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Creeper,
Very nice mod and thank you for sharing it. Pics are great. Wish Heartland would include these types of gages. I would have paid extra if they would have been an option on our rig.

Mark

jbeletti

Very cool Curtis! Thanks for the detail and pics. Especially the part about installing the sensors to the tank - very crucial placement for the right readings.

Jim

creeper

Creeper,

Again a very nice job and wish I could do that. Not having a place to work (fulltiming) presents a problem. Reading all of your upgrades that you do to your coach I always wonder if you use it or just work on it. What is your next project?

Thanks...

We've owned it since March and we have over 9,000 miles logged so far.

I tinker with all the new vehicles I own. I like to get them the way I like them.

Next upgrades:

1. 3 camera back up system.
2. Brake light/turn signal bar.
3. Mod the nice pin box cover to fit my Mor-Ryde pin box.

I should be done by then. :)

ChopperBill

Great update Creeper! You do realize that my $43,000 Big Horn would now cost me probably $150,000 with your mods if done at the factory. ;)

creeper

That's the good thing about being handy and having tools, or that's what the wife tells me. I think she married me because of the tools. :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jeepers Creepers, you sure do a nice job on your mods. The tank sensors and new monitor panel look great. And it was a great idea. I'll put that on my never ending list of things I want to do. I noticed that the replacement monitor, 709-4 does not have the two switches for the hw heater and pump. Did you leave the old monitor in place to use those two switches? And why was the origional panel, 709-4ph not compatable? Could it have been made to work somehow? Sorry about all the questions, but for some strange reason my brain is always saying why, why, and I have to do what the voices tell me.:p
Peace
Dave

creeper

The original panel only had 18 gauge wire for those 2 switches. Which is too small to run those items and not even close to the gauge the original panel used. Don't know why they did that, but believe they may have incorporated solenoids or some other means. I've never seen it before and didn't want to take a fire chance.

I use the old panel for those 2 switches and a back up.