Residential Fridge/Solar

Redrider007

Howdy all. I have a friend buying a new Montana with a residential fridge(AC Only) I don't think he has a clue as to what is needed to boondock with this. If anyone has a residential fridge in their rv and is running on solar; what is your setup? I have a Norcold ac/lpg and I have 270 watts solar and a magnum 2000 as well as 2 T-105 6 volts and I know I can't support the fridge for too long. I think it pulls close to 34 amps when running.

Thanks!!

CarterKraft

Howdy all. I have a friend buying a new Montana with a residential fridge(AC Only) I don't think he has a clue as to what is needed to boondock with this. If anyone has a residential fridge in their rv and is running on solar; what is your setup? I have a Norcold ac/lpg and I have 270 watts solar and a magnum 2000 as well as 2 T-105 6 volts and I know I can't support the fridge for too long. I think it pulls close to 34 amps when running.

Thanks!!

My research says you need 800w of solar for the fridge alone plus adequate amp hours of battery for the night.
There are several brands of 12v compressor fridges now that are in residential format and If I was looking at boondocking I might consider total cost involved to boondock with a residential fridge/solar vs a DC compressor fridge.

edit: for a DIY solar install adding panels isn't really that much more expensive, on a 5er with adequate roof space I am tempted to use commercial panels in the 300w range so 4 of those should take care of regular 12v use and inverter powered fridge.