Portable airconditioner

Anyone have any experience with portable aircondioners as a temporary fix? New AC units will not be available for a few months. Thanks for any info you may have. Bob

chiefneon

Howdy!

We were in Florida a couple of years ago and our two AC’s could not keep up. I went to Sam Club and purchased a portable AC to help out and it did good cooling our unit down. You do have to vent to exhaust out and I used a window to do that. We moved every few weeks and the portable AC was easy to deal with rather than a window unit some recommend.

” Happy Trails ”
Chiefneon

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We purchased a Arctic King portable AC from WalMart this year to supplement our cooling needs in the hot West Texas sun. It does great! We are able to access the fireplace plug which has a dedicated breaker, and vent it out a small window in the slideout. We had to fashion a piece of coroplast sign board to hold the AC exhaust in the smaller sized window, but it wasn’t too difficult. We chose to still only run 2 AC at a time — the living room and portable, or the living room and bedroom — just to make sure we don’t overdo it on Amp draw. Our unit says it draws 11 amps. We don’t have to run it for long — just a few hours in the heat of the day — around 3pm - 6pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

We purchased a Arctic King portable AC from WalMart this year to supplement our cooling needs in the hot West Texas sun. It does great! We are able to access the fireplace plug which has a dedicated breaker, and vent it out a small window in the slideout. We had to fashion a piece of coroplast sign board to hold the AC exhaust in the smaller sized window, but it wasn’t too difficult. We chose to still only run 2 AC at a time — the living room and portable, or the living room and bedroom — just to make sure we don’t overdo it on Amp draw. Our unit says it draws 11 amps. We don’t have to run it for long — just a few hours in the heat of the day — around 3pm - 6pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravilTiger, if the coroplast is dark and the sun hits it, you can cover the outside of the coroplast with aluminum foil to deflect the rays of the sun. It is amazing how much heat can come in through a dark piece of coroplast.