Lubricating RV and Other Locks

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
From latest issue of RV Travel
One area often overlooked for RV maintenance–and pretty much every RV has one or more to overlook–are locks. Door locks, compartment locks, locks on hitches, locks on toolboxes. Where’s Dr. Suess when you need him? He’s probably stuck in a locked compartment . . .
In your grandpappy’s day, the lubricant of choice of locks was graphite powder. But even among locksmiths, there’s plenty of controversy over what’s best to use to lubricate those security devices. But lock yourself out of your RV, ,or can’t get the padlock loose from your spare tire carrier while freeway traffic whizzes by, you’ll be sorry you ignored the situation.
One thing is clear: Graphite is out. This powdery stuff can absorb moisture and gum up the lockworks. The schools divide: Some say, “Shoot it with WD-40!” Others say, “Take the hangups away with gun oil!” What’s a feller to do? A common thread seems to emerge from the profession: Teflon. But how do you get teflon in a lock? Well, there are some spray lubricants with added teflon. Teflon is less attractive to dirt, lasts longer, and just generally keeps lock mechanisms happier.
When shopping for teflon lube, look for a can with a long nose nozzle that allows you to insert the nozzle assembly in the lock and give it a BRIEF squirt. Better to UNDER lube than over lube. Wipe off any excess, put your key in the lock, and work it back and forth several times.
Consider adding lock lubrication to your 6-month RV maintenance routine.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Locks...

WD-40, teflon, what to use?? It's all so confusing! :confused::confused::confused:

Just follow my lead...DeWalt, 18V cordless, 1/4" bit...Works everytime! :D

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3581&stc=1&d=1236484085

Attachments

• HT 364.jpg
    HT 364.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 406

jpmorgan37

WD-40 has allways worked well for me.

Me too, WD-40 (fish oil), love the stuff and never had a gumming problem. If it does, a little mineral spirits (aka charcoal lighter fluid) takes care of the gum. And when something is frozen, out comes the Liquid Wrench. If that doesn't work, then the cutting torch. Should be in every RV'ers tool box. (not the cutting torch)

John

ct0218

Dupont makes a product called Performance Teflon Dry Multi-Purpose Lubricant, part number D000080101 (old stock) ar D00110101 (new stock). It has Teflon in it (they invented it) and it is never sticky or tacky, dries in 1-2 minutes after spraying. It has a nozzle and tube like WD-40. By the way, WD-40 is not designed as a lubricant, it is a water displacer and a slight penetrating oil. The Dupont product may be hard to find, and I think I bought the 2 cans I have from an auto supply store that carries a lot of Dupont products. It can be ordered online.

nhunter

I used graphite powder on the lock on the house 2 years ago and seems fine. WD-40 also works great.

wyleyrabbit

Everything I read says "do not use wd40 in a lock, because it will gum it up."

Perhaps silicone spray would be better.

Chris

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I use white lithium grease on mine and also on units I deliver that I have to wash in sub zero temps. I also use it on my trucks locks.

Water can't get in to freeze in the winter.

nhunter

I use white lithium grease on mine and also on units I deliver that I have to wash in sub zero temps. I also use it on my trucks locks.

Water can't get in to freeze in the winter.
They make you wash the units too!! What the heck.

fishinrvr

In the past I have been a fan of WD40…that was until I cam across “Corrosion Block.” A boat dealer turned me on to this stuff for protecting various parts of my boat when it’s in saltwater. This stuff is awesome and found that it works great for locks. Doesn’t freeze, doesn’t conduct electricity and it’s not flammable. I now keep a can of this on my Big Horn.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
They make you wash the units too!! What the heck.

It's required from most manufacturers. It's an inspection wash only, not a show room wash, so they can see any damage that might be hidden under the grime.

US dealers usually want to be paid for the wash and Canadian dealers actually want them washed. Either way, it's marked as the unit was washed upon delivery.

Now if I wash it, you get $10 worth because that is all I get reimbursed which is about 7 to 10 minutes worth, just enough to knock off the dust with high pressure rinse....... Some dealers expect the drivers to wash them on their lot with a brush and garden hose, I don't play that game for $10.

I had one dealer in Canada that insisted I wash one in -10F temps. He then spent the next 45 minutes trying unsuccessfully to open the doors when I was done. I told him it might thaw out around April ;):DNone

truknutt

Committed Member
I use Gunk Liquid Wrench w/Teflon available at Lowe's.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3610&d=1236704566

Attachments

• Gunk w teflon.jpg
    Gunk w teflon.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 171

Howzit

WD-40, teflon, what to use?? It's all so confusing! :confused::confused::confused:

Just follow my lead...DeWalt, 18V cordless, 1/4" bit...Works everytime! :D

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3581&stc=1&d=1236484085

Man that is funny. On day two of ownership my key would not open the lock. Had to send the wife in via the laundry chute with a philpis screwdriver to take the lock apart from the inside.

Now I need to figure out how to get the key to work by lubing the lock, asking for a replacement lock or buying something better.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
You might have asked if their was a maintenance worker on campground premises if u were camping. They always seem to have master keys. We use Tri-flow with teflon. Look back at thread that discussed this very topic. There was an article from RV Travel that said what ever product u use for locks, should have teflon in it. WD-40 is a no no, although it might work initially. Very funny about the drill though. I have had visions of borrowing someone's drill to do the very same thing. Thank God its pretty easy to get into those locks in general.

Howzit

Larry, the lock worked fine when we overnighted on the way home but would not open when we got home. Thank goodness for the laundy chute and a wife who could fit through it.

Howzit

You might have asked if their was a maintenance worker on campground premises if u were camping. They always seem to have master keys. We use Tri-flow with teflon. Look back at thread that discussed this very topic. There was an article from RV Travel that said what ever product u use for locks, should have teflon in it. WD-40 is a no no, although it might work initially. Very funny about the drill though. I have had visions of borrowing someone's drill to do the very same thing. Thank God its pretty easy to get into those locks in general.

...I searched but could not find the link - can someone post it please.

Thanks,
Neal

Jay_B

I was also going to suggest Tri-Flow. I didn't know if it was available in the US. It would well and has quite a bit of teflon and doesn't gum up. It does foam up quite a bit and contains oil or something, but it doesn't attract too much dirt. It can make quite a mess though if you use too much.

Jay.