Clothes Rack in Closet

There is no support on the rod, and when you drive it bends. Two of the Three supports have come out. The rod is plastic, and just can't hold any weight. It isn't like i have a lot on the rod. Anyone else having the same problem. I have a 09 Big Country. Why would they use a plastic rod??????? What did that save them?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry to hear that you are having problems in the closet. We are camping right now and I just went to check the rod in our BC. It also has 3 support holders and the rod is mounted on both ends in curtain rod holders. All the supports (which are metal) are bolted into the shelving above. We have packed it with heavy coats plus all the hanging clothing I can cuz of the lack of dresser space. There should be a way to reinforce the supports. Are you near your dealer that might help out with this?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
There is no support on the rod, and when you drive it bends. Two of the Three supports have come out. The rod is plastic, and just can't hold any weight. It isn't like i have a lot on the rod. Anyone else having the same problem. I have a 09 Big Country. Why would they use a plastic rod??????? What did that save them?

Plastic rod? What did it save them? about 40 cents. I'm ripping all that crap out anyhow. Aluminumnumnumnum only.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mine broke also. The support hanger screws broke in two. We fixed it and then took most of the clothes off the rod, folded them and put them on the shelves and in the drawers.

cjbearden

Visitor
DH cut a 2 X 4 board the length needed to stand under the rod, notched the top of the board to hold the rod and the rod stays up. In our old BH, we had to renail the shelving and place the support board under the rod and it worked fine. We don't seem to need it in our Augusta but transferred the support board over just in case. We also diminished the number of clothes we own tremendously when we moved into the Augusta. How we miss the underbed storage!!!

jbeletti

...We also diminished the number of clothes we own tremendously when we moved into the Augusta. How we miss the underbed storage!!!

I love the underbed storage. I wish we could do it in all models and floor plans but we can't. My Pinehurst has about 5'x5'x1' of space under the bed. Same with the BH 3580 and other floor plans.

I think it has to do with the placement of the hydraulic ram and slide-out assembly and such. My Pinehurst (and BH 3580) and the new Grand Canyon feature an electric/cable slide system by BAL. The motor is offset to one side of the slide - thus allowing the space to be opened up for storage.

Jim

Inmans

re: clothes rack in closet

We also used 1x2s cut to length and notched to support the clothes rod. We have a 3670rl, the clothes rod fell down, pulling the supports out of the shelf. We had the same thing happen in our landmark Shenendoah, we used the same fix for it also. We did lighten the load, folding the heavier jeans and laying them on the shelf.
The shelf is hollow and the crews from the center supports do not go all the way through, allowing them to pull out. I agree, it seems there should be something better than plastic for the closet rod. :confused:

When does the company that makes the product become interested in fixing it??? I travel full time, and I mean I travel. Seems like someone in the company would read this and other post. Then fix the problem. This has been going on since 2007??? Thanks for the replies.

jbeletti

When does the company that makes the product become interested in fixing it??? I travel full time, and I mean I travel. Seems like someone in the company would read this and other post. Then fix the problem. This has been going on since 2007??? Thanks for the replies.

brogie,

This issue will not be resolved for you online. Please contact Customer Service to discuss this matter. 877-262-8032.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I waited till I had a chance to take a couple pictures before I posted in this thread. Our closet rod came down the first time we traveled any distance. We are also full time so believe me when I say our closet is full. This is actually our first rig that actually has a closet. The rod is not plastic, it is plastic coated metal tubing. When our rod came down, I noticed the factory missed the shelf frame on one hanging bracket and the other had hit the target but the screws being too big, split the pine framing. I spent about a half hour and less than $2.00 to repair it permanently. For the bracket that missed the frame, I moved it under the frame and predrilled the holes so I wouldnt split the wood with the screw. For the other, I drilled all the way through the shelf and used a long 1/4" bolt and fender washer down from the top and attached the bracket that way. It has held firm ever since. All that being said, these things take a beating going down the road. We all know that. We all also know that as owners we need to be a bit of a handy man. I expect these things to happen now and then. If they even could be built perfect, they would cost twice as much. I also agree that some of these issues have been around a long time and for that, I have no explanation. This will for sure be brought up at the rally if there is a round table meeting. We have to remember, humans put these things together. I don't think a perfect human is possible. Sorry for the rant.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 48

SmokeyBare

I used 2 large eye bolts... some large flat washers... and an expandable white powder coated Clothes rod from Home Depot.

I had to expand the eyes of each bolt so the rod would slide through... used the location where the hangers were attached... drilled a hole through the shelf... and bolted those eye bolts through the shelf using the washers on both the top and bottom of the shelf. This locked the bracket tightly to the wood shelf. I then screwed each end of the rod to the walls.

Here is a link to the Post: ( Post # 17 )

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=494&page=2

We bought a Shower Rod, you know the one that expands when you twist it. Placed it on the floor all the way to the Rod. It adds support, but falls out when we traveled on the road this week. I like the Eye bolt idea.