Solar connector

CoveredWagon

Does anyone have a name/description for the two pin plug connector located near the lower/retract switch on the front of the coach? It is directly connected to the batteries. I just want to use it for solar charging the batteries at about 3 amps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oregon_Camper

There are 2 types.

Anderson Connector - Shown below is the "round" one, with just a black wire showing (link to Amazon)

2 Way - the flat plug with red/black wires (link to Amazon)

(if you click on the picture, it will take you to my YouTube video for the Go Power portable panel, where I took this image from)

Capture.jpg

Oregon_Camper

Thanks a heap ��. The two way flat one is the one I need.

No problem...:)

BTW...don't limit the solar to only 3 amps. If you have a smart controller, they can determine the correct amps level needed....even just a trickle charge to keep battery(s) topped off. Our roof mounted system is always running and we have a full charge (all 3 batteries) every time we pick up the RV from storage.

CoveredWagon

No problem...:)

BTW...don't limit the solar to only 3 amps. If you have a smart controller, they can determine the correct amps level needed....even just a trickle charge to keep battery(s) topped off. Our roof mounted system is always running and we have a full charge (all 3 batteries) every time we pick up the RV from storage.

We don’t boondock so we don’t have a permanent solar setup. Also when in storage the rig is fully covered. The controller I have is limited to 45 watts (it’s a Deltran) the set up will just sit in the sun keeping the batteries topped off. Thanks again.

wdk450

The 2 way flat red/black plug with wires can be found at most all auto parts stores. Usually sold in a male/female pair.

On edit: The round metal plug and sockets of this type are referred to as "bullet connectors" in the auto parts industry.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We don’t boondock so we don’t have a permanent solar setup. Also when in storage the rig is fully covered. The controller I have is limited to 45 watts (it’s a Deltran) the set up will just sit in the sun keeping the batteries topped off. Thanks again.

Post a pic when you get it set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Received the panel and controller yesterday. Fabricated the adjustable angle panel mount today and mounted the controller on the coach. Found out that the (chuckleheads) workers at the factory miswired the two pin connector on the Rv. The exposed pin should always be the ground not hot. Simple fix is just reverse the wires coming from the controller but you have to be careful. I’m a cautious person, read that anyway you want. :rolleyes:

CoveredWagon

Solar battery charger completed

The final results are in, ok here are the pictures. Sorry some are sidways. I never seem to get this right.

DD48FF69-077C-494A-90D9-B1254AD2E61C.jpg

F4DDF04C-B64D-41D5-A899-2BFF2EC2BF18.jpg

I didn’t cement any of the joints. No real need to, but if you do I would recommend not cementing the T joints, that way you can adjust the angle to the sun for different times of the year.

33A9FE99-28BC-4AEB-A27B-61C9EBE7B818.jpg

Ok I guess I just need to turn the camera

84A17874-FF09-4D29-A38A-BBDEE165165F.jpg

As as soon as I’m sure everything is AOK I’ll replace the plastic tie wraps with ss ones. I don’t imagine the black plastic will last too long in the sun.
Rv is stored in central FL. Lots of sun here. :cool:

Last edited:

CoveredWagon

Looks good. :cool:

What is the output of the panel? Getting the amps you need?

Panel has a max out put of 45 Watts, controller is rated up to 45 watts. Battery was at 12.7 volts before hook up, and 13.6 volts after hook up. Panel was putting out 20.5 volts unloaded max is 32 volts. Sun was not at full strength. All seems well. I’ll be keeping an eye on it for a while.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
The 2 way flat red/black plug with wires can be found at most all auto parts stores. Usually sold in a male/female pair.

On edit: The round metal plug and sockets of this type are referred to as "bullet connectors" in the auto parts industry.

If you have a marine store locally you can get those connectors in 10 or 12 gauge wire.
Typically the auto store versions are 16 gauge, as are the amazon linked connector.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, amazon has just about everything.

10 gauge flat connector

10 gauge flat connector 5 pack

12 gauge flat connector

ronb47

These are also sometimes known as 12V SAE connectors. Be very careful if you change the polarity of the male/female contacts for some specific reason. You can inadvertently get into a lot of trouble.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wdk450

I would think you have thought of this, but you probably want to get something like small tent stakes on the crossbeams nearest the ground to keep the wind from blowing the panel over.

Also. leaving the solar panel on the ground anywhere other people can get into, makes it a target for theft. This is an argument for roof placement, even for temporary installations like yours.

Fern

Thank you I also needed to add that plug to my new to me heartland Sundance.
My father in law and me took my two 100watt renogy panels and made our own suitcase.
The legs and witing (minus controller) store inside of them when folded up
bd6c76ceecacd78604b470e01ea6d75b.jpg
de72532c79d4661530a5484297820cbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk