Water coming from faucets when pump is off and not hooked to City water??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Anyone have any idea why, when we are not hooked to city water and pump turned off, we are getting water coming from the faucets??? Not just a trickle either...it's coming out like we're on city water....:confused:

'Lil Guy'

Anyone have any idea why, when we are not hooked to city water and pump turned off, we are getting water coming from the faucets??? Not just a trickle either...it's coming out like we're on city water....:confused:
It may be holding pressure from your previous hok up however it should end after a short while.I can think of no other reason for your water pressure.

danemayer

Turn the pump on and let it run for 90 seconds to reduce 5 gallons from the fresh tank. That would remove any pressurization starting in the fresh tank.

As Jerrod suggested, you probably have a 4-way Anderson Valve which means there should be 2 overflow drains on the fresh tank. If blocked, and at your last stop you had water flowing into the tank, it might have overfilled and expanded.

Another possibility, although remote, is something squeezing the fresh tank.

kakampers

Turn the pump on and let it run for 90 seconds to reduce 5 gallons from the fresh tank. That would remove any pressurization starting in the fresh tank.

As Jerrod suggested, you probably have a 4-way Anderson Valve which means there should be 2 overflow drains on the fresh tank. If blocked, and at your last stop you had water flowing into the tank, it might have overfilled and expanded.

Another possibility, although remote, is something squeezing the fresh tank.

Could the fact the tank is almost empty cause this pressurization?

danemayer

Could the fact the tank is almost empty cause this pressurization?

I think there would have to be something causing pressure buildup in the tank that would normally be removed through the overflows. So 1) something causing a pressure buildup and 2) something preventing relief through the overflows.

Silly question but are you really certain you're not hooked up to city water?

kakampers

I think there would have to be something causing pressure buildup in the tank that would normally be removed through the overflows. So 1) something causing a pressure buildup and 2) something preventing relief through the overflows.

Silly question but are you really certain you're not hooked up to city water?

LOL...yes, we're sure!! We're at our house and the only thing hooked up is electric...

LBR

One other thing not mentioned that could cause this happening is if an accumulator tank (or a home-made version of one) had been installed by a previous owner.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
One other thing not mentioned that could cause this happening is if an accumulator tank (or a home-made version of one) had been installed by a previous owner.

My thought as well. I have an inline pressure tank that I installed on my Landmark. It will provide almost three gallons of water under pressure before dissipating without being on city water or on the pump.

kakampers

We're the original owners, ordered this rig...it does not have an accumulator tank.

LBR

We're the original owners, ordered this rig...it does not have an accumulator tank.

Understood.

So do you have a washer hookup in your Landmark? How far would you guess the washer H/C tee-ins are from the washer hookups are?

Do you winterize the water system? If so, do you open the washer and outside shower shutoffs to bleed all water, then shut them all off...,then pressurize your system for camping season without bleeding the air from them?

Reason for asking....those H/C washer and outside shower lines could act as a hidden accumulator system within the water lines. During Summerization, you would bleed water pressure from "obvious" faucets...but if the outside shower and washer valves are shut (building up air pockets) you may have a "hidden" accumulator system with WAY more PSI than entry water pressure. This would contribute to your water flow with no pump nor city water usage.

Last edited:

kakampers

Understood.

So do you have a washer hookup in your Landmark? How far would you guess the washer H/C tee-ins are from the washer hookups are?

Do you winterize the water system? If so, do you open the washer and outside shower shutoffs to bleed all water, then shut them all off...,then pressurize your system for camping season without bleeding the air from them?

Reason for asking....those H/C washer and outside shower lines could act as a hidden accumulator system within the water lines. During Summerization, you would bleed water pressure from "obvious" faucets...but if the outside shower and washer valves are shut (building up air pockets) you may have a "hidden" accumulator system with WAY more PSI than entry water pressure. This would contribute to your water flow with no pump nor city water usage.

It's never been winterized...

danemayer

I think I figured it out.

Remember that pedestal at the Elkhart Fairgrounds that exploded in Ken's face last June during the rainstorm. All that rain water went into an alternate dimension but the electrical charge has it following Ken wherever he goes now. That's where the water is coming from.

I'll bet it doesn't come out the faucet except when Ken is there.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

TrailCreek

I didn't see any mention of the volume you are getting. What size is your hot water heater? Try isolating the water heater using the bypass valve. If that allows a quick drop in pressure, your water heater is probably acting as a pressure tank.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Isolating the water heater is a good thought, but draining and flushing might do the trick.
Kathy, if you've been in an area with high levels of some bacteria, your water heater could be a breeding ground creating a buildup of hydrogen sulfide gas causing the pressure in your system.

Peace
Dave