RESOLVED: Verizon MiFi is slow when streaming

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I've read a lot of threads looking for a clue but to no avail so pardon if the answer is there.

I have an unlimited plan with (3) devices. (2) smart phones, one is mine the other the DW's. I also have a MIFI5510L Jetpack.

The conundrum is that when connecting our Roku to the devices I can get great streaming via my Samsung phone and DW's Iphone, but not the Jetpack. I have tested them all at the same location connecting to the same applications and the phones will outdo the Jetpack every time. I can connect via the Jetpack, and work online with my computer fine, but not do any large data streaming.

Part of the reason I like the (3) device system, is that if I understand how Verizon operates concerning their speed throttling practices, I get 10GB per device before they throttle that device.

Just curious if anyone with similar systems/experiences would like to comment. Thx.

jbeletti

Re: verizon mifi users...

Is it possible that the MiFi has a different billing cycle date than the phones? Sounds like the MiFi is being throttled.

I stream to my RV Roku from my wired RV network which is fed Internet via a Home MiFi (unless I have good park WiFi).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I have a Verizon Jetpack 7730L 4G LTE and use mostly computers with it (on it right now).

That is our internet at home and everywhere else.

I had the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan, which throttles down at 15GB to unusable speeds, and Verizon graciously offers another 5GB of high speed for $35 for the remaining days till you roll over.

I just recently upgraded to a new plan (not sure what they call it) for $10 more per month that gives 20GB before throttling down, but to 3G speeds instead of super snails pace speeds.

I've never streamed anything so can't give any advice on that.

Garypowell

I had, and to some effect still do, have the same problem with AT&T. Seems like we can do most anything with our phones as long as we are actually using them.....like watching a movie. If they sit idle their Connection to what they are hooked to the connection drops.

Our hotspot works good for email and web browsing but many times comes up short when watching a movie.

Sometimes turning it it off and back on helps as we pick up a new connection.

I called tech support and they told me the hot spot was not set correctly on their end and it got better.....not the best....but better.

uncledon

Her chauffeur

I stream to my RV Roku from my wired RV network which is fed Internet via a Home MiFi (unless I have good park WiFi).

Would you like to expound on that Jim? Are you saying that your Roku is at home and that you connect from your RV network to your home wireless network?

pegmikef

I had the Verizon unlimited data and the throttling after 15 GB made it almost worthless. I switched to 24GB and there is no throttling, plus they gave me a 2G monthly bonus for signing up. One nice thing about it is the unused GBs roll over to the next month so when we are home I can kind of stock up since I don't use the jet pack at home. I can't help you on the streaming because we only stream things like how to videos or short documentaries, no long movies.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

It could be the jet pack technology is just old? I upgraded to the newest hotspot about a year ago, and haven't had hardly any streaming issues since. But we may be talking apples to oranges, since I'm on AT&T and using a Netgear Unite Explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

It could be the jet pack technology is just old? I upgraded to the newest hotspot about a year ago, and haven't had hardly any streaming issues since. But we may be talking apples to oranges, since I'm on AT&T and using a Netgear Unite Explore.

Yeah, my jet pack is several years old, but it has been doing the job so I haven't bothered to upgrade. We only use it in the RV. I use Suddenlink at home and it is high speed and of course unlimited data.

jbeletti

Would you like to expound on that Jim? Are you saying that your Roku is at home and that you connect from your RV network to your home wireless network?

All this gear is in the RV. I have a hybrid network in the RV - both wired and wireless.

Most items are connected to the network via Ethernet. Phones and laptops are connected via WiFi.

The "home" item I referenced is the MiFi. Verizon sells one they call Home MiFi (by Novatel). In addition to being able to generate a hotspot with it, it also has Ethernet ports. I have turned off the hotspot (WiFi) feature and use the Ethernet ports (the reason I got it).

Roku, like most other items that can connect to a wired network is connected to my network via Ethernet.

Cellular Internet gets on the network by being routed out of the Home MiFi via it's Ethernet port and into a network switch.

Hope that helps and is not too much info.

Also, like someone else suggested, consider replacing your MiFi with a more current model.

uncledon

Her chauffeur

Thanks for the specifics Jim. Appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LBR

We have the Verizon Unlimited plan with 2 smart phones and the new Jetpack. I was told the Jetpack has up to 15 Gb before hitting the throttle threshold, and each phone has up to 22 Gb before said threshold.

The only time we use either phone on our Jetpack is for security purposes. The Jetpack is dedicated to Chromecasting, printer, 1 laptop, and 2 occasional use tablets.

danemayer

Throughput on any device like a Jetpack or Wisp Router, etc. is going to depend on 1) throughput of the external connection to the internet, 2) throughput of the local WiFi generated by the device, and 3) the throughput from the external connection to the local WiFi.

I think the 5510 is barely ok on 1, barely ok on 2, and less than ok on 3.

uncledon

Her chauffeur

Yeah LBR I think VZ up the throttle point 5 GB sometime after our plan conception years ago. I should check to see if anything changed when I upgraded to the unlimited plan.

Jim, I have seen what you're referring to as we tour. I will stop at VZ and see what they say and maybe look at a Jetpack upgrade.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

We use the 5510 in the trailer and it seems to be OK. Two laptops and a printer, sometimes our iPads (not all at once). Since we can’t use our Dish set up due to the trees, we still can see our few favorite programs using the MiFi and laptop hooked to the TV with a HDMI cable. The only OTA stations that don’t pixelate are PBS.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

We had the older Jetpack and had issues with it. They sent us a new one and our issues went away. Our Jetpack is set up for our "office" network including the printer. We have had both laptops working on the jetpack with one bar of signal strength. We also have the At&t netgear version. When we are in an area that has good signal strength the netgear works better than the jetpack IMO. We use it for our netflix mostly and I use it for my laptop when the jetpack speeds are slow. One thing I like about the Netgear is that it has an Ethernet port so you can hook up to it directly and then it is really fast. We do that with our Wally to play on demand movies.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We have the Verizon Unlimited plan with 2 smart phones and the new Jetpack. I was told the Jetpack has up to 15 Gb before hitting the throttle threshold, and each phone has up to 22 Gb before said threshold.

The only time we use either phone on our Jetpack is for security purposes. The Jetpack is dedicated to Chromecasting, printer, 1 laptop, and 2 occasional use tablets.

It is 15GB for the Mifi and 2GB for each phone.

I was told 22GB at a Verizon store for the phone, but found that to not be true.

They have a new plan, which I just got for $10 more per month (not sure what they call it) that gives 20GB before throttle down to 3G speeds instead of 'snail speed' like the 'Beyond Unlimited' plan is.

esscobra

I do lots of setups for construction and filed based companies - as well as remote homes an cellular internet backup solutions - I have large accounts with all 3 major carriers- att, sprint and verizion - verizion throttling varies across plans and hotspots especially - almost all hotpot devices will themselves reduce or disconnect - also the towers will kick off connections that are intermittent - you need specialty devices for constant connectivity- like streaming or remote sessions- the radios are more like e phones and will keep constant a higher speed connection- often faster than phones with some of the newest modems- verizion has different plans on the business side that have higer data at decent cost - take look a cradlepoint and similar devices

uncledon

Her chauffeur

Just an update. Went in and talked with VZ and for no charge they swapped out the SIM card which seems to have made the difference.

They also told me NOT to tether to phones for streaming large files and videos as it will eventually kill the phones. Didn't know that. The Jetpack has 15 GB before throttle, and the phones each have 22. Will only throttle in congested areas (airports, etc.) if over the throttle point and others on system who are not. That's their story anyway.

LBR

Just an update. Went in and talked with VZ and for no charge they swapped out the SIM card which seems to have made the difference.

They also told me NOT to tether to phones for streaming large files and videos as it will eventually kill the phones. Didn't know that. The Jetpack has 15 GB before throttle, and the phones each have 22. Will only throttle in congested areas (airports, etc.) if over the throttle point and others on system who are not. That's their story anyway.

Same as post #11. I feel confident it is correct as we both got the same story.

esscobra

here in central/south texas , verizion slams data plan when you reach limit - congested area or not , business , consumer plans - all same - reach plan data amount- so slow you just don't want to use anyway - sprint has truly unlimited if it works your area.
-