Highway Weight Stations

Piperflyer

I would like to know if I have to pull into Weight Stations like the commercial trucks do along the highways?

Mburtsvt

I would like to know if I have to pull into Weight Stations like the commercial trucks do along the highways?

No! Just pass them by. You may see truck's pulling RV's in the scales, but they are delivery drivers bringing your new RV to the dealer.

Last edited:

roaddog28

Back in April and May, My wife and I did a round trip from Escondido CA to Carson Iowa. Went by numerous weight stations. Never pulled into one. Unless your driving for hire, officers won't bother you.
Howard

Mburtsvt

Back in April and May, My wife and I did a round trip from Escondido CA to Carson Iowa. Went by numerous weight stations. Never pulled into one. Unless your driving for hire, officers won't bother you.
Howard

End of the day unless you have coffee and donuts - don't even bother.

EPaulikonis

Simply saying don't stop is risking an event you may not be happy with in the future. The size of your setup will have a large roll to play if you ever have the unfortunate circumstance of being stopped by a DOT officer because you chose to blow by a weigh station violating a particular state's laws regarding the procedure. AAA has a digest of motor laws that includes a section for Weigh Stations.

Most states that want personal vehicles or RVs to stop will specifically cite All Vehicles, Recreational Vehicles, Specialty Vehicles, or all vehicles with a GVW, GVWR, or GCWR exceeding a specified limit (VA is the lowest for trucks with a registered gross weight in excess of 7,500lb.). Arkansas is another good example of a state that wants you to stop in your personal RV if you meet their criteria: passenger or specialty vehicles, whether single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more. Massachusetts calls out personal and commercial vehicles over 10,000lb.: (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more. Most states will also stipulate "Commercial" in the rules which means you're personal RV is exempt.

This is important to me because my setup of a Ram 3500 Dually with my Landmark Savannah involves some big numbers. My Ram's GCWR is 32,000 lb. and the GVWR is 14,000 lb., so I should stop at weigh stations in Arkansas to comply with the law. A few of my friends that haul give me grief over stopping, but I'd rather comply with the law than risk a stop w/fine. Ignorance isn't a good argument with DOT, so now you have some facts to make an informed decision when you pass that next weigh station. Safe trailering and happy camping!

wdk450

You know, we previously had this discussion within a thread on one ton dually diesel pickup truck licensing in California, since these privately owned tow vehicles are automatically designated as a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE due to their weight by the California DMV (And you pay a LOT higher registration fees than a non-commercial vehicle). One fifth wheel RV owner on this forum went to the length of visiting the weighmaster at the weigh station, and learned that by California law ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES are supposed to stop at California weigh stations. That being said, the weighmaster then said that they don't WANT private dually diesel pickups to stop and just add to their workload of semis.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I will just keep driving by them until the Highway Patrol stops me for avoiding the scales. Since I am a privately owned RV and non-commercial I do not have to stop.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've traveled through Arkansas several times and have passed by lots of weigh stations and have never been stopped. All commercial vehicles have appropriate signage to note their use, including RV transporters. Also note that some people use a retired over the road tractor to pull their trailers, and they have signs saying Private RV Hauler, Not For Hire.

ksucats

Personal experience - Highway 77 from Nebraska to Kansas - wiegh station (I'll call it a mobile one because it was nothing more than a turn-out on the two lane highway. Had signage for "All Trucks" must stop. I was in my F350 SRW at the time (Kansas Plates and still active duty Army (some years ago..... LOL ) I did not stop and within a half mile I had the DOT vehicle with me on the side of the highway. Started to write me a ticket for failing to stop but made it a warning given that I had just returned from Desert Storm. So, bottom line of this - I still go past them but I have experienced the 'thrill' of being stopped for not doing so. BTW - several weeks later I was on I-80, stopped at the weigh station on it and was told by the weigh master to get out of there - no need to stop. ????

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There is not any one CHP officer in Calif. that reads/knows the laws or enforces them the same.. The DMV makes the laws and they don't what they are. I just drive on by. Its a private not for hire vehicle towing a RV.

ksucats

Somewhere higher in this thread was a link to the AAA guide for towing/stopping. I read there that Kansas has it as all trucks must stop. I asked my neighbor who is a CDL instructor and examiner for the state of Kansas about this. He said that technically they call our 'trucks' pickups -- trucks are 26001 or greater. However, a few troopers will pull you over and examine your registration. If it shows more the 10K, you get a ticket and can fight it in court.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Somewhere higher in this thread was a link to the AAA guide for towing/stopping. I read there that Kansas has it as all trucks must stop. I asked my neighbor who is a CDL instructor and examiner for the state of Kansas about this. He said that technically they call our 'trucks' pickups -- trucks are 26001 or greater. However, a few troopers will pull you over and examine your registration. If it shows more the 10K, you get a ticket and can fight it in court.

The State of Texas does not require you carry your registration papers with you. In Texas your registration is the sticker that you place on your windshield or on your trailer license plate. If the Trooper of LEO needs information from your registration he can run it on the computer and see what info is listed, which includes your expiration, weight, make, model, year, lien holder, vehicles inspection data, insurance and more.

DW_Gray

You know, we previously had this discussion within a thread on one ton dually diesel pickup truck licensing in California, since these privately owned tow vehicles are automatically designated as a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE due to their weight by the California DMV (And you pay a LOT higher registration fees than a non-commercial vehicle). One fifth wheel RV owner on this forum went to the length of visiting the weighmaster at the weigh station, and learned that by California law ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES are supposed to stop at California weigh stations. That being said, the weighmaster then said that they don't WANT private dually diesel pickups to stop and just add to their workload of semis.

Yep, that's exactly what the CHP told me too. Drive on and pull over when you hear the siren. Most likely, they're diving on by after someone else.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If we were to pull into a weigh station . . . would they weigh us?

Or tell us to go somewhere else . . .

ksucats

I think it would depend on the weigh master -- here in Kansas I did stop one day with my SOB, pulled off to the side and asked if I could be weighed. No problem. He even allowed me to unhook the 5th wheel and then weigh again with just the truck. Very nice. Of course I did ask first - don't know what would have happened if I had just joined the line of semis. I have read other posts where the weigh masters were not so agreeable or polite.

wdk450

If we were to pull into a weigh station . . . would they weigh us?

Or tell us to go somewhere else . . .

I like the weigh stations I have found in rural areas of Oregon. When they are not manned, they leave the scales accessible, and the visible scale readout ON, so you can weigh your rig yourself for free.

CarterKraft

This is the Texas law as well at least commercially.

Gaffer

I do this all the time. Some of them are not all that rural.
I like the weigh stations I have found in rural areas of Oregon. When they are not manned, they leave the scales accessible, and the visible scale readout ON, so you can weigh your rig yourself for free.