AC wont cool down the unit

lizzy

Hello! We just bought 2024 Heartland Pioneer Bh270 last week. Temp in Texas is above 100. Our AC is on 24hrs. The inside temp wont go down, its just stay at 87. My husband and I are totally new to having trailer. The unit is brand new and we are just wonderng why the AC wont cool the unit itself. Any perspective on this.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure that your AC can keep up in 100° temps. Your rig is 32 feet long, not huge but still pretty good size.
If Texas is where you'll be doing most of your camping I would suggest a second AC. Then maybe. I live in Wisconsin and would not be without a second AC.

Peace
Dave

lizzy

We are going to live in it for 18mos while we build our forever home. Texas heat is so outrageous!
2nd AC probably is the only option. :(

Thank you, sir!

Reactions: Rip

wdk450

I strongly recommend having a highly thermal reflective roof coating applied to the roof and all slide top surfaces. I recommend Henrys 887 Elastometric Silicone coating for its superior reflectance and roof sealing properties. A roof thermal reflective rating of 100 is a superior product - Henrys 887 comes in at 111 with little drop off of performance over time.
See: https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/current/tds/HE887HS_techdata.pdf

NYSUPstater

I strongly recommend having a highly thermal reflective roof coating applied to the roof and all slide top surfaces. I recommend Henrys 887 Elastometric Silicone coating for its superior reflectance and roof sealing properties. A roof thermal reflective rating of 100 is a superior product - Henrys 887 comes in at 111 with little drop off of performance over time.
See: https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/current/tds/HE887HS_techdata.pdf
Just want to ask as I see the application seems pretty straight forward on the flat part of the roof. But what do you do where the roof comes over the edge to gutter?

Also, for OP, may want to consider too adding some kind of reflective material to inside of windows to keep sun/heat out. On your A/C unit, do you have the air ducted so it goes throughout the whole coach or do you have a little slide thing or 2 at base of the A/C shroud (inside of RV) that you can slide to "dump" the air into main portion of the coach?

wdk450

Since you are going to be in the rig 18 months, probably pretty familiar with simple construction, and since the roof coating has gotten so pricey, I thought I would tell you about an open pole shed big enough and tall enough for a 5th wheel I saw in the hot California central valley at the Army Corps of Engineers campground at Black Butte Lake, West of Orland, Ca. This shed was set-up for the volunteer assistant ranger's 5th wheel at the main entrance gate. It was pretty much steel poles at the corners and middle of the long sides, holding the galvanized V metal roof about 17 foot up in the air to shade the RV trailer underneath.

wdk450

Re: "Just want to ask as I see the application seems pretty straight forward on the flat part of the roof. But what do you do where the roof comes over the edge to gutter?"

I had my rig done in 2020 by a couple of RV professionals at the site I was at in Thousand Trails Wilderness Lakes in Menifee, Ca. The paint was 1/2 the price it is now at that time, and the job including pre pressure washing, repair of any small rips/cracks with caulk, replacement of any broken sewer vent pipe covers, 2 coats of sealant (they used 2 - 5 gallon cans) was $900, done in 1 day. They did the main roof roller and brush painting over the sides just to the top of the gutters. They also did the roofs of the slides. It has held up VERY well, and the coolness of the roof when crawling on hands and knees now is VERY noticeable.

jerryjay11

Most RVs I've looked at are equipped with a 13,500 BTU unit rather than the 15,000 units. Or rig is 29.5 feet with the 13,500 AC unit and even on even on 80–90-degree days, parked in the sun it has trouble cooling to a comfortable temp. A second AC unit is one way to attack this and the way I would go if I were to live in a camper as long as you plan. I like to RV carport idea because with the RV sitting in one place for 18 months the sun can damage the roof, particularly with the heat you'll experience. (The extra AC is a good idea as well. 1500 BTU)

I stand corrected by Gary the Big S guy. He is correct because the AC units require as much as 30 amps while starting and run with 11 to 16 amps. The RV carport is sounding like a better idea.

Last edited:
Hello! We just bought 2024 Heartland Pioneer Bh270 last week. Temp in Texas is above 100. Our AC is on 24hrs. The inside temp wont go down, its just stay at 87. My husband and I are totally new to having trailer. The unit is brand new and we are just wonderng why the AC wont cool the unit itself. Any perspective on this.
We bought new 21'. Live in tx.. we had to service our ac for freon and replace the rear unit. Tech said they sit for months before installing and not used when they are.. so poor care on their part cost $$ on ours. But we hangin at 78deg with regular cycles no prob. We also bought good size floor fan which really helps alot.

Gary521

Adding a second AC may not be that simple. I am not familiar with the electrical system in your unit but it may only be 30 amp. If it is, the only way to add a second AC is to add a soft start system to "both" AC units.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, a 30 amp service could be a problem but there are ways around that.
Other options would be a portable AC unit or a small window AC, I've seen that a few times.
Those options would probably necessitate the use of a 20 amp extension cord.

Peace
Dave

Routemaster

It is 103.2* here in Deming NM @3:53 I have had 2 AC running since 10:00 this morning and I can not get the temperature any lower than 93.9* same every day?

Hollandt

Check out the modification below. There are a couple of companies that sell molded foam pieces that accomplish the same thing. This helped the air flow from my unit a lot. You will still only be able to get about 10 to 20 degrees reduction from ambient temp.

Last edited: