Bedroom Slideout Electrical Issue

Jdanielm1

Hello, all

i have a 2020 Bighorn Traveler 39MB that I bought new in 2020. It’s been somewhat of an electrical nightmare but most of it was fixed in the first year’s warranty. Now I have a new issue.

In the master bedroom I noticed that when I plugged any electronic into the USB charger on either side of the bed, the lights situated inside the slide-out at the headboard of the bed would flicker slightly. I had to relocate my camper yesterday so I packed it up and moved. When I got all the outside hookups situated, I come inside to push the slide-outs out. As I was pushing the master bed slide out, it got near the end and I heard a loud pop. I thought I hit something outside so I ran to look but I was clear of everything. I thought nothing else of it until I laid down and plugged my phone in but it wouldn’t charge. I tried turning the overhead lights on and they wouldn’t come on either.

So my guess is there is a harness inside that was broken or shorted somehow.

My question is… how do I access this harness?!? It didn’t pop a fuse or breaker but nothing works in the slide now.

I would call Heartland but their customer service is nearly useless and most of the time they direct me to this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Roller4tan

you'll have to take the mattress off and remove the screws from the platform and look under the plywood.

Jdanielm1

Yup. Just coming back to post that i found it. Heartland decided to drape cables under the bed very near the rollers. The roller grabbed it and pulled it to pieces. Luckily my camper hasn’t burnt to the ground yet. I’m absolutely amazed at the lack of engineering and care that this camper was subjected to. I’m an A&P mechanic with a degree is Aeronautical Science with an emphasis on airframe design. If I built an aircraft that resembled this RV, people would die on its first flight.

Thanks for the response. Ive got to get this wiring situation figured out now.

BigHorns

Glad to read that you found the source of your problem. Good luck with the repair.

I, too, have the issue of the bed slide lights flickering when my phone is plugged into the USB port next to the bed. Have stopped using those ports. Wasn't always the case- recent development. It's a very slow rate of flicker. The lights don't go out, just dim slightly on a perfectly consistent frequency. Wondering now about the state of affairs under my bed.

centerline

Glad to read that you found the source of your problem. Good luck with the repair.

I, too, have the issue of the bed slide lights flickering when my phone is plugged into the USB port next to the bed. Have stopped using those ports. Wasn't always the case- recent development. It's a very slow rate of flicker. The lights don't go out, just dim slightly on a perfectly consistent frequency. Wondering now about the state of affairs under my bed.
the flickering can also be due to the type of bulbs you are using, and/or if there is a dimmer control in the circuit, or if the wrong type of bulb is used with the wrong type of dimmer......

carl.swoyer

Yup. Just coming back to post that i found it. Heartland decided to drape cables under the bed very near the rollers. The roller grabbed it and pulled it to pieces. Luckily my camper hasn’t burnt to the ground yet. I’m absolutely amazed at the lack of engineering and care that this camper was subjected to. I’m an A&P mechanic with a degree is Aeronautical Science with an emphasis on airframe design. If I built an aircraft that resembled this RV, people would die on its first flight.

Thanks for the response. Ive got to get this wiring situation figured out now.
I had the exact problem with my 2012 Landmark Rushmore.
Engineering told me to look under the bed. I found loose wires without caps.
I cut a pvc pipe in half heated it to flaten the ends. Then used it to cover the splice once I repaired it.
In 2012 I took my Landmark to the factory for repairs the dealership could not fix.
While talking to Jim Fenner I suggested a pdi facility that would find these problems before shipping crap to the dealership.
Well now they have one.
Anyone see a difference.?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Jdanielm1

What year and model is your RV? I would get under the bed and check the wiring. I think this issue needs to be recalled. It’s very dangerous.